Thread: Sydney Swans are Premiership contenders

Sydney Swans are Premiership contenders

Gee the confidence in the swans has all changed for the finals, looking good I say - Sydney Swans are Premiership contenders

It appeared that a finals swansong for departing heroes Brett Kirk and Paul Roos was never going to eventuate, given the Swans had to win at least three of their remaining four matches to seal a spot in September.

Indeed Sydney have built a reputation as a side heavily reliant on their capacity to fight until the final siren, and ever since that horror fortnight of football, the Swans have once again shown us why the spirit at the club is one of the most lucrative throughout the AFL.

lets keep a lid on it for now - dare I say it - lets take it one week at a time!!! (although I did book the time off back in April!!!)
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    lets keep a lid on it for now - dare I say it - lets take it one week at a time!!! (although I did book the time off back in April!!!)
    April ha, yeah the "old one week at a time" must be the most classic saying in footy

Quote Originally Posted by torpedo punt View Post
    April ha, yeah the "old one week at a time" must be the most classic saying in footy
    I know - my boss laughed at me for even suggesting it!!! But hey my team is in the finals - and his isn't!

its an awful saying isnt it - But its more for my nerves!!!

I have been proved wrong yet again. We were looking down the barrel five weeks ago & now we are a real contender. The teams we know we can beat in the finals Hawks, Bullies, Blues & Dockers & the ones we have to prove something in beating Pies, Cats & Saints. If we meet the Saints at all we r going to be called the devils not bloods cos we will finish their season. That leaves only Cats & Pies & I reckon we now have the team to compete against both of those. Tall forwards r the only concern at the moment but if we get Bolts or LRT back that won't be an issue. By the way lets retain Reid his was a sensational debut!

Tempting to look ahead. I think our best (though still remote) chance of making the grand final requires St Kilda to beat Geelong this week. We would be a chance against the Saints in a PF but the classy Cats would probably blow us away.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

I picked us to win the flag this year, amid all the doom and gloomers who said we wouln't make the 8.
    Faith, you gotta have faith a faith a faith a.....
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I picked us to win the flag this year, amid all the doom and gloomers who said we wouln't make the 8.
    Faith, you gotta have faith a faith a faith a.....
    thanks George!!!

Considering the depths of despair I was in after losing to Melbourne and Ri ... Richm ... Rrrr ... I can't even say it (even more than the so-bad-it-was-absurd Dees game, that match against the latter scarred me as we let it just slip away), I'm trying not to let myself go to the opposite extreme now that we're in a good patch and playing well. But we def. have every chance to cause some real damage and surprise a lot of people (even more than by reaching 5th in a year when we were so obviously doooooomed). Right now I just want to beat Carlton (and hopefully not sit in a downpour whilst watching it happen). Then on to the next.

Having said that, I confess it was my voice in Dicks Hotel last night telling my partner it's Finals time, and all that matters is who plays better in each match. A switched-on Swans against a peaked-too-early Pies, or a having-a-bad-day-Cats, and who knows?