Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rising Star announced today - The Winner is Hanners!

Rising Star announced today - The Winner is Hanners!

In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Blog Entries
    Still bookies Favourite, and tipped to win.
    Scully is the most likely to steal it fom Dan.

It's a done deal. They shut down betting, Dan's flown down for the day. We've got the new Rising Star!

that doesn't exactly portent a full closure Nich - unfortunately the bookies don't have any say in it. Also another 22 kids from all over the place will be on hand to fill up the room; and he may not get it. HOWever, I am thinking good thoughts, and offering up to the gods all sorts of promises.
    Last edited by Primmy; 1st September 2010 at 09:07 AM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Veteran Site Admin
    Not sure if I am over-reacting, but the (Melbourne) media seems to be orchestrating some kind of favouritism backlash against Dan. Just the use of the word "hype" in the title of that article, for instance. It kind of implies he's favourite only because of some bandwagon hype, rather than because he deserves to be favourite.

There have been some excellent performances and some very consistent seasons by a number of this year's nominees and several would arguably be worthy winners. But Hanners has been the bookies' favourite for almost half a season, and it's not like he's been hanging on by a thread, riding on early season contributions but fading as the season has gone on. He had great games at the start of the year, great games in the middle of the year, and his final 4-5 weeks were tremendous.

Rising Star announced today

Unless there's an Indian bookmaker hanging around Melbourne Hanners has it in the bag.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    that doesn't exactly portent a full closure Nich - unfortunately the bookies don't have any say in it. Also another 22 kids from all over the place will be on hand to fill up the room; and he may not get it. HOWever, I am thinking good thoughts, and offering up to the gods all sorts of promises.
    My message was a little more in jest than anything. Pretty sure Dan will take it home though. Consistency is the key for the Rising Star - and Dan has it in multitudes. Not only just that, he has done it in a side with the likes of Bolton, Kirk, Jack, McVeigh, O'Keefe, Goodes etc. And in a few of those games he's been BOG. Tremendous efforts. Obviously a few of the other kids have had great seasons but I would argue not with the same authority as Dan. And most people, even Melbourne Commentators/Media have admitted as much. Good Luck Dan!!!!

Senior Player
    I have only seen positive stuff about Dan down here, and don't forget he is Victorian and they get wound up about their own.

They forgot to mention his 39 touch game against freo in that article.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    I have only seen positive stuff about Dan down here, and don't forget he is Victorian and they get wound up about their own.

Yes, that was a BIG miss by the writer.

It will be great if he wins, so here's hoping. I'm so glad we got his signature for the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post

Or the great game against Adelaide that got him the nomination in the first place!
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Or the great game against Adelaide that got him the nomination in the first place!
    Oh I heard about that, I was OS. Was that BMcG 5 goal haul game?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast