Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants vs Swans on Good Friday

Giants vs Swans on Good Friday

How good would this be. Easter Show followed by the local derby at ANZ Stadium on Good Friday. Would be massive. Please make it happen AFL, Swans and Giants.

Greater Western Sydney Giants want to meet Swans in Good Friday clash
    Todd Balym
    April 22, 2011 8:06PM

GREATER Western Sydney Giants will push the AFL for an "iconic" day to build their derby with the Sydney Swans next year with Good Friday one of two contenders for a permanent calendar spot.

It is believed that Good Friday or playing a stand-alone fixture a week before the rest of the AFL competition starts are the two options that have been discussed between the clubs and senior figures in the game.

The AFL's Anzac Day clash between Collingwood and Essendon has developed into the biggest game of the year outside of the grand final, a major event idea copied by the NRL with their scheduling of the St George Illawarra and Roosters game since 2002.

But an AFL game in Sydney on Good Friday, locked permanently into ANZ Stadium to capitalise off the adjacent Easter Show crowds, would be the perfect return serve in the Sydney turf battle.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226043487075

Would be nice for it to happen, but Dimwitriou is going to have to make a massive about face on his "no football on Good Friday while I'm CEO" stance.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Walking through the Showbag pavillion today, I thought how easy it would be to have a Swans Showbag again and slip a ticket to an upsoming ANZ game into it (the cheap seats, obviously, but a seat nonetheless). Feeding off the Easter Show seems like a good idea and I'd agree with it, but I'd much rather prefer it be Holy Saturday, Easter Sunday or the following weekend than Good Friday. Even as a non-Christian I sort of like the idea that it's the one day of the year there has never been a VFL/AFL game.
    10100111001 ;-)

I for one would love the Swans to have Good Friday all to themselves, regardless of the other team. It being against the Giants would be a nice touch though. However, it could backfire. Yes, it would be iconic, it would really thrust Sydney footy into the spotlight. On the other hand, it might actually raise the ire of some potential fans. It might position footy as incompatible with religious beliefs, and I know a lot of people would forgo the former for the latter. That's drawing a fairly long bow though.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

You'd just be crucifying the blokes!
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Senior Player
    How would it be competitive though in the first year of GWS

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    I for one would love the Swans to have Good Friday all to themselves, regardless of the other team. It being against the Giants would be a nice touch though. However, it could backfire. Yes, it would be iconic, it would really thrust Sydney footy into the spotlight. On the other hand, it might actually raise the ire of some potential fans. It might position footy as incompatible with religious beliefs, and I know a lot of people would forgo the former for the latter. That's drawing a fairly long bow though.
    It doesn't seem to be a problem for NRL fans and judging by the glamour on fan sites (a small cross-section I agree) it would rate really well around the country

I can't see why they can't play a game on Good Friday in Sydney. Fits in with NRL.

It is 2011 after all. Just about everything is open on Good Friday in terms of entertainment. At least in NSW anyway.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    It doesn't seem to be a problem for NRL fans and judging by the glamour on fan sites (a small cross-section I agree) it would rate really well around the country
    As I said, it's drawing a long bow, but it could happen, especially given Good Friday football is normalised in other codes. Were the AFL seen to actually switch (as opposed to maintain), it could create a short-term backlash. This would eventually fade as it became normal, as with the other codes, but for two teams that aren't totally secure in their supporter numbers (GWS extremely so), it could be really damaging.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

you know - in 1996, when the show was still at Moore Park ,the gates were opened between the SCG and the showground and anyone could go info free from quarter time onwards. So I left my visiting Tamworth mates and went in, admittedly I think I sat at the back of the cheersquad section, thinking "wow this is a good spot" and was told in no uncertains terms to move. Still when I did find a spot I quickly remembered what I loved so much about going to the big ground watching the big boys play. (11 a side in Tamworth at the time with only 3 teams in the comp just didnt cut it, despite everyone making the finals - thankfully footy has really taken off up there now) Many people came in afterwards as well to have a look and the majority stayed - perhaps they could try that too - throw the ANZ gates open after quarter time and anyone can wander in and watch for a while - if the game is a good one, they may be able to convert a few. I mean insn't Easter all about religion? Well my religion is AFL.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

I remember that Wardy. My first game was Palm Sunday the week before, and the second game was Easter Sunday (that I know.....because I went to the show on the Saturday and was a little miffed I could have got in the next day for nothing!). Ladies out front trying to sell 11 games for the price of 5.

And you have touched on a touchy spot, the Cheer Squad......attitude hasn't changed much, and I suppose that is why there is such a small one.

Anyhoo, good idea, play on the Sunday at ANZ and invite the punters to have a look. Why not? Jenny???
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Go Swans Always
    cannot see it happening and do not want to see it happen. Too many melb team supporters will want their teams first to play and remember it is really only a melbourne comp we do not count up here.
    Love those Swans

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast