Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Worst performer at the ground?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet_Observer View Post
    Excellent pickup GS.
    Like Judd on a loose ball. You may not want his team to win but you have to stand back in wonder at that 3rd quarter display.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    I have a picture of that in my head - and it would indeed be hilarious!!! (I was busy hiding from you know who, in 412)

Great to catch up with you Wardy. We in aisle 119 went completely "off" - a real seat jumper of a game - sit down, leap up, sit down, leap up, scream scream scream.......the kids (2 x 2yo) looked a bit non plussed, but not fussed, just kept sticking chewed jelly babies onto the bottom of the flip up seat.

We had a ball, no voice, famished starving hungry (my usual state after a massive noise game), possibly in the top five best noise games in the last ten years, even 2008 NM - pity 7 couldn't be bothered to invoke the actual atmosphere, but that channel is so out of it as far as footy is concerned, its a wonder they turned up.

However, we had a massive game, we are exhausted, we had fun.
    Last edited by Primmy; 7th September 2010 at 05:26 PM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    pity 7 couldn't be bothered to invoke the actual atmosphere, but that channel is so out of it as far as footy is concerned, its a wonder they turned up.
    I have not checked this out to confirm, but I wonder if it has anything to do with their use of digital sound not coming out correctly on TVs without 5.1 channels. Personally, I thought the crowd sounded fine on the weekend, although I did have it turned up quite a bit. Earlier in the year the sound of the clackers was so annoying coming through my TV from a broadcast by Ten (it sounded like one of the commentators had a pair on his lap) that I switched the sound through the receiver to break it all up - this helped remove the distraction of the clackers, but it also (disappointingly) took out some of the general crowd noise and excitement as well.

Goes up to 11
    The crowd noise came out really well on the Foxtel HD replay the other night - enough to give me goosebumps and heart palpitations all over again....
    Last edited by jono2707; 7th September 2010 at 06:53 PM.

Worst performer at the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    The sound came out pretty well on the Foxtel HD replay the other night - enough to give me goosebumps and heart palpitations again....
    Same here Jono... I really don't need that jog with games like this.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

On the Rookie List
    Channel 7 HD is known to be the worst of the free-to-air channels for their HD. Sometimes the video stream they show on their HD channels is no better than the SD because it is the same signal they sometimes upscale it. It is like trying to take a chocolate sponge cake and with *exactly* the same ingredients make a chocolate mud cake of the same size.

On other occasions they will compress the cr*p out of the stream at some point between the time it leaves the HD camera and the time it gets to your receiver (usually at the encoders in the studio). You will see this as blurred vision or pixelation in the background when the camera is panning whilst there is fast play. On screens larger than 42" it is very noticeable and not pleasant to watch. Their audio is another issue sometimes too soft, as is Channel ONE.

Now for comparison, you can watch exactly the same AFL match FOXTEL SPORTS HD and it is real 1080i HD - clear as a bell usually from the same cameras SEVEN uses but they don't compress anything.

OK I have now typed more than I have in all my posts combined over the past 5 years. Time to go back underground.....

Who cares what the crowd sounds like on the Box? If you were at the game other than when Mr Judd went nuts all was good how good was the hooter.
    worth the wait want more

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet_Observer View Post
    Channel 7 HD is known to be the worst of the free-to-air channels for their HD. Sometimes the video stream they show on their HD channels is no better than the SD because it is the same signal they sometimes upscale it. It is like trying to take a chocolate sponge cake and with *exactly* the same ingredients make a chocolate mud cake of the same size.

On other occasions they will compress the cr*p out of the stream at some point between the time it leaves the HD camera and the time it gets to your receiver (usually at the encoders in the studio). You will see this as blurred vision or pixelation in the background when the camera is panning whilst there is fast play. On screens larger than 42" it is very noticeable and not pleasant to watch. Their audio is another issue sometimes too soft, as is Channel ONE.

Now for comparison, you can watch exactly the same AFL match FOXTEL SPORTS HD and it is real 1080i HD - clear as a bell usually from the same cameras SEVEN uses but they don't compress anything.

OK I have now typed more than I have in all my posts combined over the past 5 years. Time to go back underground.....
    I find Ch 7 vastly inferior to ONE/TEN broadcasts for these reasons. Even when I record the game if I am going to it, it always plays vastly better back when its ONE HD- I don't have foxtel but I'd expect that would be better again.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011