Thread: A Player Management Question

Veterans List

A Player Management Question

This morning we learned that the Lions' Rischitelli is off to the Gold Coast. And he may well win the Lions B&F tomorrow night. I think the Gold Coast can make a claim on any uncontracted player of any club?

Who falls into that category for us? Who is possible/likely to go? Or will we end up with the same secure list as now? ie do we have any glaring uncontracted talent right now?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    GC can claim 1 uncontracted player from each club and that club will receive a draft pick as compensation. The value of that draft pick will be decided by the AFL. GC can also claim more than 1 uncontracted player but only if they get the consent of the other club in question. I believe this means they have to strike a suitable trade with that club.

In terms of uncontracted Swans, unfortunately we can only guess at the contract status of some players as not all contract signings are made public. RTTF has made a good fist of this at the RWOWiki - 2010 - RWOwiki

^^ Thx Ugg

Will we lose anyone of value to GCS? I highly doubt it (unless you believe the odd BF troll)

Worst case, perhaps a Barlow or a MOD <- I had him pegged to go in exchange for a compo pick. Being named as an emergency last week could either hinder or promote this theory.

The club is also sitting on a few contracts. They probably should have been announced by now, but something more important came up

The club has done a fantastic job with the list over the last couple of years. I don't think most fans - outside RWO - realise just how superbly organised & forward thinking the Swans football department is.

The wiki as presented is not 100%, but if you look at the spread of ages and year of assumed contract expiry, you will notice that it is very spread out. Players will be retired gradually and the club is well prepared to deal with GCS/GWS & Free Agency.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by RTTF View Post
    ^^ Thx Ugg

Will we lose anyone of value to GCS? I highly doubt it (unless you believe the odd BF troll)

Worst case, perhaps a Barlow or a MOD <- I had him pegged to go in exchange for a compo pick. Being named as an emergency last week could either hinder or promote this theory.

The club is also sitting on a few contracts. They probably should have been announced by now, but something more important came up

The club has done a fantastic job with the list over the last couple of years. I don't think most fans - outside RWO - realise just how superbly organised & forward thinking the Swans football department is.

The wiki as presented is not 100%, but if you look at the spread of ages and year of assumed contract expiry, you will notice that it is very spread out. Players will be retired gradually and the club is well prepared to deal with GCS/GWS & Free Agency.
    That level of detail is very reassuring.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I can't remember where I read it, but GC have flagged that they will take about 8 uncontracted players.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by RTTF View Post
    Don't be silly. It is a known fact (by forum footy fans and increasingly by journos) that the only way to build a premiership team is to gather together a group of players with a large concentration in a small age bracket so that they can all peak at the same time and also get to bond really strongly because they "all come through together". Salary cap management issues? Pah! Using older players to help develop up-and-comers? Pah! List management issues when a dozen superstars all retire at the same time? Who cares by then, because by following this strategy a club will be guaranteed to have won the last 5 premierships on the trot...
    Last edited by liz; 7th September 2010 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Don't be silly. It is a known fact (by forum footy fans and increasingly by journos) that the only way to build a premiership team is to gather together a group of players with a large concentration in a small age bracket so that they can all peak at the same time and also get to bond really strongly because they "all come through together". Salary cap management issues? Pah! Using older players to help develop up-and-comers? Pah! List management issues when a dozen superstars all retire at the same time? Who cares by then, because by following this strategy a club will be guaranteed to have won the last 5 premierships on the trot...
    Brilliant!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph