Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: Elimination Final 2010 - Bulldogs v Swans Game day thread

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I have been wanting to post my thoughts on the game (and our season) since I got back from the MCG, but was just exhausted after a busy few days (actually went straight back to the hotel after the game as was on the 6am flight from Sydney) so waited until I had a bit more time... first of all, the glass was definitely half full after the game. I think it was because I had prepared myself mentally for the possibility of a loss following recent history, it's been next to impossible for a team to make a preliminary final from outside the top 4, let alone for a non-Victorian team to win a final at the MCG in recent years. Even Adelaide couldn't hold on to a 5-goal lead against Collingwood at this stage last year...

Still, there's no doubt that we blew it, and should not have let the Bulldogs back into the game from that position to begin with. Last week's third-quarter fade-out was a warning sign that maybe our high-energy, labour-intensive game plan was taking its toll, but the signs of a Dogs revival were there with the two late goals just before half time after Reg's dropped mark. You can get away with it in H&A games, but inexcusable in a final. Same with the poor kicking for goal. But incredibly, we just kept on coming, and still had a chance to pinch it after Jetta's goal, which is what I've loved watching about this team particularly in the last 5-6 weeks. If the polish can be added to the enthusiasm the team has showed over the last few weeks, the future looks bright.

Sitting in the second row of N55 in the Olympic Stand gave a terrific perspective on the game and its ebbs and flows. The run off half-back in the first half was as devastating as it's been all season -- the Bulldogs simply had no answers. Bradshaw moved well, but we didn't take the right options going forward, which cost us I'd say 2 or 3 goals on top of the missed shots. What happened in the second half when we let the Dogs back in was that our backline was forced to defend, which they were not accustomed to doing in the first half. Also the discipline of the Dogs players to just get boot to ball quickly to clear the danger area in the last quarter was a major difference - our players took their time and often seemed unsure which option to take, we seemed to get tackled more, not due to lack of awareness but through overuse or not kicking the ball immediately, so more of our kicks were under pressure. Think their experience in going deep into the finals in 2008-09 proved the difference here.

The forward line is still a weakness, but if Bradshaw can play most of 2011 it will take the pressure of White, and with TDL and Jetta lurking in the F50 we should be able to just about cobble together a decent forward line that will be competitive for the next couple of years. Jetta had one of his best games (and TDL a rare off night), some of his second efforts at the death were great. McGlynn is a real find and did not take a backward step despite the headgear.

A disappointing way to go out, but we should be able to recover - actually the thought that it was Kirk and Roos' last game did not really hit me until after leaving the ground, I think after the Sydney farewell(s) this felt like a bonus and I was just happy that we were able to send them off in style from the SCG, I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for Roosy's address to the players in the rooms after the game though! I think we will still be up and down next year, but I am still optimistic about our prospects for the next few years. This should be seen as a successful season for the players we have seen emerge during the course of the year.

My posting rate will probably slow down a bit in the off-season, but looking forward to season 2011!! Thanks to all the regulars who wrote match reports, ugg for the detailed write-ups on the ressies, Nich for the dedication shown in uploading YouTube videos, Scott for running the TLM, Des for starting it all.... *hurries up and gets off the stage before they cut to a commercial break*
    Last edited by Xie Shan; 14th September 2010 at 11:11 PM.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooth Fairy View Post
    we agreee then. Bradshaw lost us the game, but Jesse would not have even got us that close.

Look I like Jessie and I want him to stay a swan. but Bradshaw was an obvious pick like for like. The selection committee stuffed up on ROK and that is what I am dirty about.
    I don't agree with this. My thoughts are that Bradshaw had to be picked to have some game time in him and sweep out the cobwebs in the A's ,so we could use him against St Kilda where we would need him to have any chance of winning. Cobwebs there were with his kicking but we still could have won if Reg hadn't played his worse game for the year.
    I believe the team that beat Carlton would have beaten the Dogs,in fact Carlton with Judd in full flight were a better team than the Dogs,Sure Jesse would not have marked the ball but TDL (who was lost playing beside Bradshaw) would have kicked plenty from the crumbs. This team would have scored more heavily as Bevan was in fine form too. "Never change a winning team" is an old adage but a goodie. However I don't blame the selectors and IMO they were looking at going on to next week and more! Can't blame them for that except it didn't work!

Yes totally agree that Bradshaw had to play if we were to go deeper into the finals. Would have preferred to rest ROK and agree that Bevo should have been playing for his hardness. Would have been a struggle this week with Mummy out and perhaps a couple others in trouble. If the dogs get smashed by the saints the loss won't hurt so much, but gee we should have won. I guess the Carlton supporters may have said the same last week. No sub continent bookies involved here I hope.
    Anyway the season is over and I think we have a lot to look forward to. Hopefully we won't delist too many as there isn't a lot available in the draft.
    Thank you to all those special posters who kept me informed this year keep up the good work.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324