Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Back to Back

Eagles Back to Back

Was out at the game today and saw a great game of Footy. If the Eagles quietened their critics in 2009, they surely must have silenced them today.

Sydney Uni must be devastated. They have had a great season and deserved to be favourites but maybe the limited football that comes with finishing on top and going straight into the GF starves you of match fitness. In saying that, the Eagles did it in 2009.

To win 1 flag is a massive effort but to go back to back is impressive.

I don't suppose much will be said on this board as it always goes quiet when the Eagles are winning. I still can't believe that in Grand final week all that was spoken about was a bit of mud on a ground that was used two weeks ago.

Well done East Coast. Unbackable for a three-peat if what I overheard today is true.

Quote Originally Posted by northernspy View Post
    Was out at the game today and saw a great game of Footy. If the Eagles quietened their critics in 2009, they surely must have silenced them today.

Sydney Uni must be devastated. They have had a great season and deserved to be favourites but maybe the limited football that comes with finishing on top and going straight into the GF starves you of match fitness. In saying that, the Eagles did it in 2009.

To win 1 flag is a massive effort but to go back to back is impressive.

I don't suppose much will be said on this board as it always goes quiet when the Eagles are winning. I still can't believe that in Grand final week all that was spoken about was a bit of mud on a ground that was used two weeks ago.

Well done East Coast. Unbackable for a three-peat if what I overheard today is true.
    What's that? They'll get even more goals from free kicks and phantom 50s next year?

Almost Football Legend
    It was a great day at Blacktown. All three games were in the balance until the closing stages; the standard of footy on display was good. All three clubs that were represented on the day got a premiership out of it.
    And the crowd and the atmosphere was the best I've ever seen at a Sydney AFL game. Sydney Uni, always known for vocal support, brought some great numbers out there, and the drums and the vuvuzela sounded great. And plenty of noise from the East Coast contingent as well. We don't count crowd numbers in our league, but definately it was the biggest crowd in my time in Sydney footy.
    And everyone involved - the umpires, the officials, the East Coast people on the gate, the Penno people at the canteen - did a great job. It was a great advertisement for our league.

And congratulations to East Coast for their win. They copped some criticism on here when they were unable to turn their finals appearances into premiership, but once they got the monkey off their back last year they were able to go on with the job in 2010 and go back to back. They lost several players from the 2009 side, but were able to find some great replacements for 2010. The club runs itself well off the field, and has become an attractive destination for players - but it takes something special to turn good players into a great team, and Glenn Garner deserves a lot of credit for being for able to achieve that.

I'll be uploading my match report and some photo galleries later - will put the links up when they're online.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Well done to East Coast, UTS and Sydney Uni on their flags.

The best thing to come out of this year's competition is that six different clubs shared the six flags.
    Divisionalisation

Almost Football Legend
    Seven clubs shared seven flags. And I agree - it's great for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    What's that? They'll get even more goals from free kicks and phantom 50s next year?
    Sounds a bit like sour grapes Student? Are you saying SU were definitely the better team?
    Maybe a few positives on the opposition wouldn't go astray.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawknik View Post
    Sounds a bit like sour grapes Student? Are you saying SU were definitely the better team?
    Maybe a few positives on the opposition wouldn't go astray.
    Well said, Hawknik.

If you can't say anything positive then don't bother.
    The best team on the day won, and there is nothing that can change that.

Congrats to all the teams that won.
    Enjoy your victories!!

On the Rookie List
    To all the critics .. thanks for driving us all year

Almost Football Legend
    The RedAndWhiteOnline wrap of the Grand Final action is now online.

For any of you who didn't get out to Blacktown and would like to get a feel for the day, or for those who would like to re-live all the colour and excitement of the day; I have uploaded some photo galleries. If you won a premiership medallion, congratulations - and I've included pics of everyone receiving their medal.

Under 18s - Sydney Uni v East Coast Eagles
    Under 18s - After the game
    First Division - Sydney Uni v UTS
    First Division - After the game
    Premier Division - Sydney Uni v East Coast Eagles
    Premier Division - After the game

If you'd like to use any of these pics for your club websites, a league website, or any other football-related purpose - then you're most welcome to.

aka Mr Taxman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    I thought that Uni were their own worst enemy as the match went on & you can't win GFs when you give away so many 50s & kicks downfield in the forward half of the ground that directly lead to goals. Fell into trap of handballing too much as well instead of getting the boot onto it. That said though it was a great day of watching footy with all 3 grades being decided in the last quarter (and beyond with the u/18s). ECE seemed to dominant stoppages in 2nd half and effectively controlled the game as a result. D Bowles bounced back very well after disappointment of Phelan medal earlier in the week. I expect Syd Uni to bounce back next year.

PS Always a big fan of a Penno-run canteen ... "The burgers are always better at Ern Holmes" as my old man used to say over the years.
    See me run a marathon again as a leprechaun?
    Donations

Quote Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
    I thought that Uni were their own worst enemy as the match went on & you can't win GFs when you give away so many 50s & kicks downfield in the forward half of the ground that directly lead to goals. Fell into trap of handballing too much as well instead of getting the boot onto it. That said though it was a great day of watching footy with all 3 grades being decided in the last quarter (and beyond with the u/18s). ECE seemed to dominant stoppages in 2nd half and effectively controlled the game as a result. D Bowles bounced back very well after disappointment of Phelan medal earlier in the week. I expect Syd Uni to bounce back next year.

PS Always a big fan of a Penno-run canteen ... "The burgers are always better at Ern Holmes" as my old man used to say over the years.
    Would've been nice to have a decent beer on sale though, but thumbs up to their BBQ, absorbed Friday night's intake pretty well.

Obviously havent had a eagle burger at BP, but in saying so, normally dont mind a feed at Pennant Hills

Quote Originally Posted by Rafters View Post

:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast