Page 14 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans Academy and player watch

Veteran Site Admin
    If he is at the level where he is being selected for national representative squads, I suspect he doesn't need to lose much sleep over whether he'll make the next stage of the Academy programme. Sounds like he is very focused on doing whatever he can to make it to AFL standard.

What year does he become eligible to be drafted?

Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and focus, which at his age is somewhat reassuring all round. Good luck kiddo.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Best of luck to the young fella... As Liz said, it doesn't sound like he'll have too many issues getting selected.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by grose40 View Post
    Jimmy Carroll from down Wagga way, nephew of Dennis carroll. And he is part of the GWS Academy, played for the GWS U15 Academy Team at the U16 State Zone Trial, Riverview. Joel Bottin-Noonan is the youngest of the 3 Botts brothers, the oldest - Ryan - who was a Swans scholarship for 3 years, played in the Ressies for 2 years, but got passed over in the draft and is now over playing with Centrals in the SANFL. Middle brother James plays with Campbelltown in the SFL. Joel became a Swan after rezoning the TPP boundaries in 2010.
    Central District is a great place for a player to get an education and maybe get picked up as a mature age player. Ian callinan was picked up at nearly 30 and had a very hard edge that Central's players tend to have. They are the best coached and managed team in the state if not the country they have won 9 out of 12 premierships in the naughties.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    What year does he become eligible to be drafted?
    Josh will be 16 next April. Hard to believe he is the size he is at 15. However he is really careful as to what, how and when he eats.

So if the recruiting age is 18 then he will be 18 in the 2014 draft from my calculation.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Swans Academy and GWS Academy played out a 73-all draw

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Not a good day for the Academy

U18
    GWS 23.11 (149) Swans 3.6 (24)
    U16
    GWS 12.11 (83) Swans 7.7 (49)

I hopped on here after I saw the U18 result on Twitter to see if there was any news on what happened. That's more than a little disturbing. I hope it was just a bad day.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    More Brandon Jack http://youtu.be/aohV3_D1_l0
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Seems a really confident kid. By the way GWS have only just started their academy so where did they get all this talent? I am presuming that anyone who is in their zone who was with the Swans Academy will now be in the GWS Academy. That may account for the big losses.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Seems a really confident kid. By the way GWS have only just started their academy so where did they get all this talent? I am presuming that anyone who is in their zone who was with the Swans Academy will now be in the GWS Academy. That may account for the big losses.
    The Giants' Academy has been running at least a year, possibly a little longer. Cunningham spent last season as part of their Academy, coached by Paul Kelly.

No-one who entered into the Swans' Academy will have been re-zoned to the Giants' Academy (unless they moved their place of residence). The zones were created before the Swans Academy was established. If you are referring to scholarship players, I doubt these have been re-assigned to the Giants Academy unless the Swans terminated their scholarship. All other clubs retained their rights to scholarship players signed before the deadline (a couple of years ago) so I don't see why the Swans would have lost theirs.

wolftone57, your way off the mark with that comment. Check your list and I think you will find there is only two names who would have been in the Swans Zone. Can't say that would have changed the outcome. Whilst most don't want to admit it, there is a good depth in Western Sydney Junior AFL and if nurtured properly thru the TPP, which it appears it has, will lead to individual player confidence and Team wins.