Page 18 of 76 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans Academy and player watch

Bad News
    U18 RAMS got smashed today by WA 14.17 (101) to 5.5 (35) http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...3/default.aspx

Good News
    Scholarship/Academy member Daniel Robinson continues to show up in the "Bests'

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I am pretty sue the Pies have their own academy so they will potentially be doing the same.
    Not yet they can't, at the moment only Us, the giants, suns and lions may have an academy under rule 37.

http://www.aflpa.com.au/images/uploa...March_2011.pdf

The rule was created after the AFL realised what a pig's arse the NSW scholarship system was. You may recall that the NSW-SS was the result of intense lobbying (by Greasy Eddie amongst others) to stop the Swans attempt to get some sort of NSW recruiting zone. The idea of a NSW recruiting zone for the Swans was a non-altruistic attempt to kick-start the development of AFL capable players in the state. The need to kick-start player development was only recognised by the AFL after journo's like Caroline Wilson began embarrassing them by asking why there had been no NSW draftees in almost a decade. The lack of NSW draftees was of course the result of long running AFL policy of disinterest in NSW, the apogee of which was (in my opinion at least) the exclusion of the Rams from the elite TAC cup competition.

Frankly, since 1981 the AFL/VFL's interest in Sydney football has traditionally gone no further that the affect a token presence in Sydney has on the TV broadcast deals. And now I've wandered off topic (sorry).

The only other club I know of to establish an academy is Wet Toast, but because they're not included in rule 37 either it is only for the sons of former players (who they can recruit under the father/son rule).
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Thanks R&R. Number 37 is my personal lucky number. Soo....not reading anything into it, but....

Glad someone else can understand AFL politics. I get lost.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I am pretty sue the Pies have their own academy so they will potentially be doing the same.
    Is that what you'd like us to call you from now on?

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Pretty Sue is so much more appealing than Nico. Was it a misprint and meant to be Peggy Sue?

The traditional aussie rules playing states are just far superior to NSW. Dozens of reasons. Start by blaming Councils for not allowing kids to play in the rain. Grass damage control.

Even Willy Nelson isn't that careful with his !!!
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Ah yes my typing is not real flash. Then again my wife's name is Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Not yet they can't, at the moment only Us, the giants, suns and lions may have an academy under rule 37.

http://www.aflpa.com.au/images/uploa...March_2011.pdf

The rule was created after the AFL realised what a pig's arse the NSW scholarship system was. You may recall that the NSW-SS was the result of intense lobbying (by Greasy Eddie amongst others) to stop the Swans attempt to get some sort of NSW recruiting zone. The idea of a NSW recruiting zone for the Swans was a non-altruistic attempt to kick-start the development of AFL capable players in the state. The need to kick-start player development was only recognised by the AFL after journo's like Caroline Wilson began embarrassing them by asking why there had been no NSW draftees in almost a decade. The lack of NSW draftees was of course the result of long running AFL policy of disinterest in NSW, the apogee of which was (in my opinion at least) the exclusion of the Rams from the elite TAC cup competition.

Frankly, since 1981 the AFL/VFL's interest in Sydney football has traditionally gone no further that the affect a token presence in Sydney has on the TV broadcast deals. And now I've wandered off topic (sorry).

The only other club I know of to establish an academy is Wet Toast, but because they're not included in rule 37 either it is only for the sons of former players (who they can recruit under the father/son rule).
    Really interesting post. Thanks for that.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Mentioned in another thread, but Daniel Robinson will officially become a Swan next year.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Article on Lloyd Perris and his recent European tour with the AIS

Perris continues to impress - AFL Greater Sydney Juniors - SportingPulse

Veterans List
    Good to see he is continuing to impress.

I assume Perris will be drafted by us this year. Be interesting to see what pick we are forced to use to select him. Hopefully we don't have to use the dreaded first pick as we know what terrors that holds - yikes! If it's the coveted second round pick, he'll be a star :-)

I thought scholarship players could be picked as rookies.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I thought scholarship players could be picked as rookies.
    Good point. He may be the last of the Scholarship players still in the system so can be added to the list without the F/S-Academy bidding system in which case we basically get him for free.

That leaves our highly valuable second pick intact. Still leaves us with the spud first pick which I think we need to trade away for a targetted player lest we burn another one :-)