Page 19 of 76 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans Academy and player watch

tell me more about the advantages of having a Sydney Swans academy going forward ?

I am confused on who we can draft from the academy and how this advantages us in the draft etc ?

BTW

i) can we only have north shore, northern beaches, the shire and northern rivers kids at the academy because GWS has the other regions in Sydney and NSW ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    tell me more about the advantages of having a Sydney Swans academy going forward ?

I am confused on who we can draft from the academy and how this advantages us in the draft etc ?

BTW

i) can we only have north shore, northern beaches, the shire and northern rivers kids at the academy because GWS has the other regions in Sydney and NSW ?
    Swans get first pick of them in the draft as we nurtured them. But if we don't pick them up anyone can have a go once they're draft age. I think the intake area is city and north and a bit of the south but GWS has riverina and west of that but don't quote me on that (GWS didn't draft Harry C from their academy and we got him as rookie after that)

Thanks DamY
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    I think the intake area is city and north and a bit of the south but GWS has riverina and west of that but don't quote me on that (GWS didn't draft Harry C from their academy and we got him as rookie after that)
    Here is a map of NSW that shows who controls what. As well, I think that GWS gets the NT, but I think that is for a limited time. There's been a bit of argie-bargie because GWS was supposed to have their epi-centre around Blacktown/Doonside but, of course, they've now set themselves up in Homebush which is deep in the heart of Swansville.
    Happy to be corrected by someone who knows more than I do about this..

http://mm.afl.com.au/portals/0/swans_docs/Zoning.pdf
    Last edited by justabaraker; 29th April 2013 at 07:59 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    they've now set themselves up in Homebush which is deep in the heart of Swansville.
    Happy to be corrected by someone who knows more than I do about this..

http://mm.afl.com.au/portals/0/swans_docs/Zoning.pdf
    I thought one left Swansville as soon as one crossed the Anzac Bridge...

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I thought one left Swansville as soon as one crossed the Anzac Bridge...
    They reckon some Swans supporter with the nickname of "Christopher Columbus" drove over the Anzac Bridge, expecting to fall off the edge of the Earth at the other side. He was shocked to find that there is intelligent life on the other side.....including ME !

Veteran Site Admin
    They reckon some Swans supporter with the nickname of "Christopher Columbus" drove over the Anzac Bridge, expecting to fall off the edge of the Earth at the other side. He was shocked to find that there is intelligent life on the other side.....including ME !
    Better not let Sheedy find you...he'll dress you in an orange robe and very strange wig until you see the error of your ways.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    The AFL has this year shifted junior football Clubs in areas such as - Parramatta, Baulkham Hills to the GWS zone so that the AFL can say that junior footy participation numbers have increased in the GWS zone.

All done with smoke and mirrors.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

They still only have the same number of players on the list as any other club. The trembling really should only be aimed at when they were first recruiting and it was open slather.

Not many afl clubs in Burke but.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    The AFL has this year shifted junior football Clubs in areas such as - Parramatta, Baulkham Hills to the GWS zone so that the AFL can say that junior footy participation numbers have increased in the GWS zone.

All done with smoke and mirrors.
    I'm sitting out here in the beautiful Parramatta/Hills District, trying to think of which junior clubs have been re-aligned to the GWS zone this year.
    Enlighten me, BRC.

Senior Player
    I'm sitting out here in the beautiful Parramatta/Hills District, trying to think of which junior clubs have been re-aligned to the GWS zone this year.
    Enlighten me, BRC.
    All ages bar U16's of the Goanna's and the new "Hills" club now play in the Western Sydney comp ja. Not sure if that started this year or last year.
    They have certainly been pushing the same for Baulko and Kellyvile and have a look at the Bankstown Juniors website to see how well that's worked for them. Clearly the AFL want clubs in the GWS zone playing in the the Western Sydney comp and have that comp neatly tied to GWS.
    It'll be interesting to see if there will be any changes to the current zone line's given GWS clearly see their future @ Homebush and that only just sits inside their zone. It's a little weird to see them setting up such a close relationship to a junior club (Concord Juniors) that sits inside the Swans zone, just because that happens to be so close to GWS accomodation base @ Breakfast Point.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Enlighten me, BRC.
    I think floppinab summed it up well.

Cherrybrook (Westbrook???) was told that they will have to join next year. They are prepared to merge with Pennant Hills so as not to. Parramatta, Greystanes and Kellyville are in the GWS zone now. I heard this from people involved in each Club when I did a first aid course out at BISP a month or so ago. It either started this year or next year can't recall.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.