Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans Academy and player watch

Thanks Jeffers, that's the one.

You all know Harry Potter, reporter. He is the older gent with the stupendous head of white hair that I am sure many of you really envy. And he had that name looooonnnnggg before the other one made an appearance.

Holy Moly, just read Bas's link. Poor barstard, 14 hour operation; hope his son is as tough as he is.
    Last edited by Primmy; 22nd September 2010 at 11:39 AM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Mitch May, could have sworn he grew 10cm in the last year, and is a bit of a unit for a young bloke. Like his style, and once he gets used to his body may prove to be a keeper.
    Sure you're not just getting him mixed up with his brother, Matt May, who was a year older, about 10-15 cm shorter and a former Scholarship player who played a few games for the ressies?
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Great thread -- should sticky it.
    To all those people who waited 72 years to see a South Melbourne/Sydney Swans premiership HERE IT IS!!

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Sure you're not just getting him mixed up with his brother, Matt May, who was a year older, about 10-15 cm shorter and a former Scholarship player who played a few games for the ressies?
    Their mother wasn't called Maggie by any chance? Did she know Rod Stewart?
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Veteran Site Admin
    Mitch May is one of the most frustrating to watch. He has the raw build of a prototype AFL player of the current era and (very) occasionally does something really eye-catching. But most of the time he just plays timidly, or with low intensity. I had thought, however, he was a year older and hence eligible for this year's draft. If he still has a year to go before he is draftable, there is some chance things may suddenly click for him and he will start playing in a style to match his physique.

Potter is the one (of those who regularly played for the reserves this year) who looks the most natural footballer, and the one who plays as if he believes he belongs in the ACTAFL team. A hard working scrapper rather than a silky skilled distributor, he must be in with some shot. The rest have mostly been quite anonymous thus far, but this will the year for them to make a move and show their worth.

What happened to Jay Lewis? Was he eligible last year or this? He has played a couple of games this year for the reserves (including the horrid game in the freezing cold against Ainslee in July when Frosty went ape at the effort of certain players).

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Mitch May is one of the most frustrating to watch. He has the raw build of a prototype AFL player of the current era and (very) occasionally does something really eye-catching. But most of the time he just plays timidly, or with low intensity. I had thought, however, he was a year older and hence eligible for this year's draft. If he still has a year to go before he is draftable, there is some chance things may suddenly click for him and he will start playing in a style to match his physique.

Potter is the one (of those who regularly played for the reserves this year) who looks the most natural footballer, and the one who plays as if he believes he belongs in the ACTAFL team. A hard working scrapper rather than a silky skilled distributor, he must be in with some shot. The rest have mostly been quite anonymous thus far, but this will the year for them to make a move and show their worth.

What happened to Jay Lewis? Was he eligible last year or this? He has played a couple of games this year for the reserves (including the horrid game in the freezing cold against Ainslee in July when Frosty went ape at the effort of certain players).
    Um, I kinda skipped over Lewis because I thought he was already gone, or gone at the end of this year (and no chance of being drafted), but if he's in the 2011 draft category, I guess he should be added.

I must admit, I was pleased to see that Mitch May, Guthrie and Potter all had an extra year in the system. From what little I've seen of May, he does look to be a bit timid, and he also seems to be a bit of a plodder, lacking athleticism, but with another year things might click. Not a huge fan of Guthrie either but again, he has time. Potter definitely looks the most likely of the lot, and it's reflected in the trust the coaching staff place in him, often setting up with him at the bounce.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Jay Lewis is born '92, and didn't seem to get much time in ressies this year. So unless he gets thrown a lifeline of some sort, looks likely he will go the way of Ryan Bottin-Noonan, who missed out last year after his scholarship ended.

So far as the season that the Reserves had, I would have thought that the main function of the ressies and their coach was to develop the listed players to the point that they were ready for senior selection ... if they could also win a flag, that would be a bonus, but the constraints placed by the league makes that unlikely in any event.

Based on that, you would have to say that the ressies and their coach had an outstanding year.

Also, this arena is the practical introduction to the club for the scholarship players (and later, the Academy boys). The young boys who played ressies this year it appeared were primarily given a role to fulfil each game, mostly defensive. Added to that, these 16 turning 17 y.o.'s were exposed to the whole Swans process and culture, and now have a year to produce the necessary football to cement stage one of a professional career ... if they are good enough, they will be better prepared than most. Keep in mind that all of these boys were 15 y.o's playing u/18's at the start of last season ... or, come round 1 2011, they will be at the same stage as Nipper Gordon was round 1 2009, or Craig Bird was the year before he was listed ... so plenty can happen!

Footnote: Ryan Bottin-Noonan played 2010 for Campbelltown in the SAFL Premier Div and won The NAB Rising Star Award ... congrats Botts!

Footnote: Ryan Bottin-Noonan played 2010 for Campbelltown in the SAFL Premier Div and won The NAB Rising Star Award ... congrats Botts!

Big footnote uncon. Good for you RBN! I wondered where he had slipped away to......
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Sydney Swans Academy Initial Intake

Some interesting names listed in the initial intake for the Swans Academy.

Dylan Roos
    Tyler Roos
    Brandon Jack - Gary Jack's brother
    Jake Bradshaw

Dylan Roos and Brandon Jack are both 17 and have made the Sydney north squads for the NSW under 18 trials. I think all our 17 and 18 year old scholarship players have also made their squads.

Does anyone know how the Academy scheme works. Can we dream of getting a young Roos and another Jack drafted to the Swans in two years?
    Last edited by TheGong; 18th December 2010 at 09:55 PM.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Brandon Jack - another son of Gary's? Or is he really Kieren's Uncle Brandon?
    The others all sound likely names; let's hope the genes run true.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Sorry, meant Keiran Jack's brother.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGong View Post
    Sorry, meant Keiran Jack's brother.
    Another black sheep in the Jack family.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast