Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2565717273747576 LastLast

Thread: Swans Academy and player watch

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I'm sure I read somewhere Andrew Ireland saying that we did offer exactly what you suggest . ie drop out of the ND and grow our own. But the AFL wouldn't go for it.
    Yep, read the same thing somewhere but I think to at least try to gain some semblence of equity in the AFL recruitment process around the country they have to tie it in to the draft in some manner.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    NSW/ACT players invited to the 2016 AFL State Draft Combine.
    Jake Brown
    Jordan Harper
    Ryan Hebron
    Lucas Meline
    Matt Wilson
    Lachlan Tiziani

http://aflnswact.com.au/blog/2016/08/03/invitees-state-afl-draft-combine-state/

Brown, Hebron and Wilson have played for our reserves this year. Meline and Tiziani are GWS Academy players. Harper is with the Canberra Demons and is one of the favourites to win the NEAFL MVP.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    [FONT="]NSW/ACT players invited to the 2016 AFL State Draft Combine.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Jake Brown[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Jordan Harper[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Ryan Hebron[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Lucas Meline[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Matt Wilson[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Lachlan Tiziani

[/FONT]
    http://aflnswact.com.au/blog/2016/08/03/invitees-state-afl-draft-combine-state/

Brown, Hebron and Wilson have played for our reserves this year. Meline and Tiziani are GWS Academy players. Harper is with the Canberra Demons and is one of the favourites to win the NEAFL MVP.
    I also noticed that Nick Blakey (Son of our assistant Coach John) is also in the squad from NSW region. I know Kangaroos and Brisbane can claim him under father/son rule, but we do we stand with John being our coach for over 5 years and Nick living in the Sydney region?

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    I also noticed that Nick Blakey (Son of our assistant Coach John) is also in the squad from NSW region. I know Kangaroos and Brisbane can claim him under father/son rule, but we do we stand with John being our coach for over 5 years and Nick living in the Sydney region?
    if he is in the swans academy I think we have the same rights as father/son

Under the F/S does the player need to nominate a club or it is automatic?

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Under the F/S does the player need to nominate a club or it is automatic?
    Not sure exactly what you're asking, but a player needs to nominate that he wants to go to a club under F/S, he is not forced to go there. eg. Marc Murphy elected not to nominate Brisbane and was drafted by Carlton.

If a player has the choice of 2 clubs, he can nominate which club. eg. Joe Daniher could have nominated either Essendon or Sydney and heaven only knows why, he chose Essendon.

These examples were both before the points system, but I'd imagine that part of the process about nominating or not nominating would remain unchanged...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Swans Academy and player watch

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I'm wondering if this is correct. I know that an eligible draftee has choice in regard to F/S (whether to accept F/S nomination, or which F/S nomination to accept, or whether to simply go into the draft).

But I did not think an eligible academy draftee had the choice to refuse a club's nomination - that is, if the academy club nominated and paid the points price, the academy player could not refuse the nomination.

But if the above is correct, then I would have thought the academy eligibility would over-ride the F/S eligibility. So (for example) if the Swans wanted young Blakey and paid the relevant points, they would get him irrespective of other clubs' F/S status.

I've just read the rules and I'm not sure about my statement above re academy players - but neither is there anything in the rules which suggests an academy player must accept his nomination in the draft. Whereas the rules re F/S do suggest that. (Although there is reference to a club needing to lodge a duly completed application form in regard to an academy player before the draft - it may be the case that the academy player is required to sign their consent on that form.)

Can anyone clarify please?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I'm wondering if this is correct. I know that an eligible draftee has choice in regard to F/S (whether to accept F/S nomination, or which F/S nomination to accept, or whether to simply go into the draft).

But I did not think an eligible academy draftee had the choice to refuse a club's nomination - that is, if the academy club nominated and paid the points price, the academy player could not refuse the nomination.

But if the above is correct, then I would have thought the academy eligibility would over-ride the F/S eligibility. So (for example) if the Swans wanted young Blakey and paid the relevant points, they would get him irrespective of other clubs' F/S status.

I've just read the rules and I'm not sure about my statement above re academy players - but neither is there anything in the rules which suggests an academy player must accept his nomination in the draft. Whereas the rules re F/S do suggest that. (Although there is reference to a club needing to lodge a duly completed application form in regard to an academy player before the draft - it may be the case that the academy player is required to sign their consent on that form.)

It's simple, Blakely chooses us and our academy pick then cancels out any FS selections. Eddie has kittens and the NSW academies are closed.

Disclaimer - I don't know for a fact that the draftee's choice of their academy cancels out any FS selections.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

I have no reference for this but wouldn't it be the player opts to not choose a father son club, then like Marc Murphy goes into the draft, and all other clubs can draft him, however being part of the academy, the Swans are in the box seat to draft him. Once drafted, the player cannot refuse to go to the club that drafts him.

I would not think that a player being part of an academy would override a FS pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    I have no reference for this but wouldn't it be the player opts to not choose a father son club, then like Marc Murphy goes into the draft, and all other clubs can draft him, however being part of the academy, the Swans are in the box seat to draft him. Once drafted, the player cannot refuse to go to the club that drafts him.

I would not think that a player being part of an academy would override a FS pick.
    Both F/S and academy players go into the draft with eligible clubs having priority access to them if they match the (discounted) points allocated to them by another club's draft pick.

So, using Blakey as an example, the question remains - which of the three potentially eligible clubs gets the right to match a bid? The article being quoted says that would be Blakey's choice. I was suggesting the academy club might get the first right. (And I can see some logic in academies getting first right since they have invested time and resources into the players).

Going with the precedent of Joe Daniher choosing the Bombers over us, I imagine how it will work is that the player will nominate before the draft which club he wishes to accept the nomination from. Then the bidding will only be allowed by that club.