Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 26667273747576

Thread: Swans Academy and player watch

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Going with the precedent of Joe Daniher choosing the Bombers over us, I imagine how it will work is that the player will nominate before the draft which club he wishes to accept the nomination from. Then the bidding will only be allowed by that club.
    Yes that's what the article is saying - and that's probably right. But Daniher was choosing between two F/S choices where we know the player has the right to choose (or simply elect to go into the normal draft). I was speculating that a player does not have the right to elect not to be chosen by an academy club, so an academy club would get first draft right to him.

For example, did Mills have the right to elect NOT to be drafted through the discount system by the Swans last year? If he had been an eligible F/S player he would have had that right.

This is how it works.

Blakey chooses Brisbane under F/S. All clubs can still select him, however Brisbane is the only club that can choose to match any bid or not select him (ala Sydney and Josh Dunkley)
    Blakey chooses North under F/S. All clubs can still select him, however North is the only club that can choose to match any bid or not select him.
    Blakey chooses neither Brisbane or North and nominates for the draft. It is only at this point that the academy selection process comes into play. Academy selections do not come into play until the player has chosen to not take up the F/S option. If it gets to this point, Sydney can choose to select him as an academy player or not. The player cannot refuse to go to the club who selects him under the academy selection process. Its the same as a normal draft selection.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    This is how it works.

Blakey chooses Brisbane under F/S. All clubs can still select him, however Brisbane is the only club that can choose to match any bid or not select him (ala Sydney and Josh Dunkley)
    Blakey chooses North under F/S. All clubs can still select him, however North is the only club that can choose to match any bid or not select him.
    Blakey chooses neither Brisbane or North and nominates for the draft. It is only at this point that the academy selection process comes into play. Academy selections do not come into play until the player has chosen to not take up the F/S option. If it gets to this point, Sydney can choose to select him as an academy player or not. The player cannot refuse to go to the club who selects him under the academy selection process. Its the same as a normal draft selection.
    I am not sure that is right (ie I am with Meg) but only via anecdotal sources. I am not sure I could put my hands on something official that confirms this.

Here are the 2016 AFL Rules. Section 8 pp. 52, 53 deal with father/son. Section 14 pp. 75 - 78 deal with academies. The words re academies imply that clubs have the right (through the relevant bidding system) to draft academy players. Nothing written there implies the player can choose. But as I've said earlier, there may be things in place elsewhere that I/we don't know about.

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%2...May%202016.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    This is how it works.

Thanks Doc. That's an interesting (and quite possible) take on this situation. It's not what the original article said. If you are right, then the F/S option takes priority over the academies. Hmm, pretty annoying if correct since the academies have invested resources into the players while F/S is simply a fortuitous outcome.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I think we all know the correct answer is that the AFL will make up a new rule, a few days before the draft.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I think we all know the correct answer is that the AFL will make up a new rule, a few days before the draft.
    Almost certainly the truest statement in this thread.

Also worth observing that the rule the AFL makes up will depend on who whinges the loudest. Given we are talking North Melbourne and Brayshaw in this specific instance, expect the whingeing to be very loud, whiny and persistent, and for one E McGuire to offer himself as spokesperson / medium for the whingeing.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Blessed is the squeaky gate, for it shall get the oil.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

My understanding is that players eligible under academy selection and F/S can choose from any of the choices available or decline them all. In Nick's case, if all 3 competing clubs want him, Nick can pick the one he wants to go to if a bid is made by some club and then matched by his selected club of choice, or he can choose to go into the draft without and priority selection for him and just go to whatever club picks him. Or he can just go to Hawthorn as a free agent.

Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 26667273747576