Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greatest XXII of the Sydney era?

Perhaps somebody needs to put in a word for Barry Mitchell. He wasn't super-fast or stylish, but very smart and a hard worker. I also remember him as a great last quarter player. Even when he had been quiet all day, if things got tight he was one of those who would always lift.

I'm not as enthusiastic about Mark Bayes as Johnno obviously is. He had tremendous skills, but became a changed player about being thumped from behind by Craig Kelly one day at Victoria Park. From then on he became field-shy and not half the player he had been.

However, I agree with him about David Murphy ... one of our bravest players ever and an absolute excitement machine.

I agree with Johnno on Bayes.

A lot of Swans fans jumped on board from '96 and that is there memory of Bayes, who was just a shadow of the player he was.

But he was an absolute shining light in a cocoon of darkness which descended upon the club post-Edelstein pre-Eade. Definitely needs to be found a place in the starting 18.

That said, old blood speaks the truth. I wouldn't say he became totally field-shy, but he did taper off.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

I started going to the footy in 1993. Every Swans supporter at the time loved Baysey. As a young kid, I used to stir the old man by saying he was overrated but even at that age, I realised that he was a gun.

Ask Kernahan what he thinks of Bayes. Bayes used to blitz him. Chris Grant was one of the few who had his measure.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

What a shame Jamie Lawson got injured and couldn't play on... I bet he would have made the list if he had. I know, a little left field...

Quote Originally Posted by Gezball View Post
    What a shame Jamie Lawson got injured and couldn't play on... I bet he would have made the list if he had. I know, a little left field...
    Another Wentworth boy (like Ben McGlynn) - I'm glad he got a mention.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    I agree with this. Lawson was turning into something remarkable when he was cut down. People look at the Daveys, C Rioli etc as a recent phenomenon but Lawson was rapidly becoming that sort of player 15 years earlier. He was so exciting to watch. I love Lewis Jetta, and he's the closest thing we've had since, but I reckon little Lawson would have left him coughing in the dust. Mind you, speed isn't everything and I think Lewis has the potential to be a more complete player.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Veterans List
    Anyone ahead of Ackerley thanks. Loose outside back pocket. How he got Brownlow votes is one of the universes great mysteries. Hankered for the club to go to Sydney then opted out big time.
    Craig Bolton is the obvious player to take his place.

Roos to the back flank and Bayes to CHB. Roosey was at the end of his career and was serviceable but Bayes was rarely beaten at CHB. Out goes Carroll who went to the HBF after he commenced his career on the wing. Not tough enough for mine.

Paul Williams over Schwass. I thought Willo's pace, experience and determination was a big factor in us winning the flag.

Stafford an emphatic - No. Jason Ball was a huge influence in our flag. Nick Davis anyone, Amon Buchanan in the GF on the end of the Ball tap.

Goodes becomes a second Ruck Rover with Healey. 2 Brownlows says a position on the wing does him a gross disservice. For sustained service he really should be the No.1 Ruck Rover.

Mitchell to the bench and Cresswell misses out.

On Dale Lewis: us long time baby boomer supporters all loved Lewie. His problem was that he could be awfully lazy. They said he was laconic, I thought maybe he was a yard too slow. No doubting when he got the footy he could sure use it. If compared to O'Keefe I see the difference as O'Keefe being able to sustain real gut running, whereas Lewie seemed to run out of gas. Both good overhead and Lewie was a more penetrating kick. O'Keefe gets the nod.

I think I had 2 gaps on the bench. Rod Carter was rarely beaten and I can't leave Warwick Capper out if Plugger goes down.
    Last edited by Nico; 27th September 2010 at 11:04 PM.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Out goes Carroll who went to the HBF after he commenced his career on the wing. Not tough enough for mine.
    I've heard a lot of things, but this is the first time I've ever heard someone say Dennis Carroll wasn't tough enough. Are you being serious?
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

I was at that game. Cressa popped his kneecap, Lawson broke his leg, Kelly was reported, it rained all day and we got hammered.

Think that was the last game I went to.

Quote Originally Posted by Donners View Post
    I was at that game. Cressa popped his kneecap, Lawson broke his leg, Kelly was reported, it rained all day and we got hammered.

Think that was the last game I went to.
    ...and please never never go again.

For those that never saw Jamie Lawson play unfortunately never got to see who I believe to be the fastest player EVER to play the game....yes folks, he was quick. I remember watching us play Essendon and not even Michael Long could catch him.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123