Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Personal Impressions of a Club Champion Event

Probably not a great deal to add to what has already been written here. Primmy's attention to detail would have to be in comparison with Tim Winton. I'm glad I had my suit dry cleaned and shoes shiny black.

I checked into my sardine tin room (Central Motel Apartments) in Chalmers Street in the early afternoon and if you spread your arms out wide you could touch both walls. However it was clean and cheap and would recommend it to anyone visiting the SCG and requires somewhere to sleep as compared to somewhere to stay.

So I was dressed and out and arrived at the Westin at about 5:30pm. Upon arriving, the downstairs bar was alot larger than I imagined and quickly realised our "meet up" instructions could have been better. I walked up to two blokes in SWans ties and asked if they were from RWO and fortunately they knew what I was talking about. They were father and son from Swans Limousines and GregB did post here years ago. So I had a beer with them and they were nice. Not far from us was Barry Round dressed in T shirt, shorts and thongs, Mrs Round already frocked up and Bobby Skilton dressed casually and without beer. Barry had started the lubrication process. They all wondered off about 20 minutes, no doubt back to their rooms to get dressed.

I wondered up stairs and approached a lady who I thought was Primmy and fortunately it was. So we stayed there watching players arrive through front door and from the lift as we waited for others from our table to arrive. John Longmire and wife came from the lift and she wore a beautifully light coloured frock which had flowers and frill........................a poor attempt on my part to copy Primmy's detail. FAIL.

Dimelb and his family arrived. I had a laugh with him saying that for ages I thought it was short for Diane from Melbourne.

Finally at 6:30pm the escalator switched on and we went downstairs. Has to be the longest escalator in Sydney. Compares to the escalators to the lower train platforms.

We squashed in with everyone else as they brought out trays of drinks and at 7 pm were allowed to sit at our tables. The room was massive and much larger than expected. There was about 900 people there.

We had three attractive young ladies sitting at our table and I was fortunate to sit between two of them and the third was a eye batter away. I had Dimelb's daughter on my left and Primmy on my right. Once the event started, there was not that much time for conversation apart from the short breaks. That went until about 11:30pm and then the mass mingle with very loud music and if you were in the main room you really had to yell if trying to talk to someone.

Primmy that was Anthony Cammell from Marketing that you were talking to in the pre-dinner drinks.

On the night from RWO I met Primmy, Dimelb, EMJ, Wardy, Big AL, Go Swannies and Larissa who looked stunning in her dress. I also met some of Primmy's friends and as luck would have it her friend Ken lived up the road from where I was staying so we caught the train back to Central and walked. So it was very inexpensive. It also meant I had to leave when they were leaving which was probably a good thing. I loaded up on Vitamin B so I wasn't too bad the next morning. It was really good to meet you all and I was disappointed I didn't get to meet others there but with 900 people it was hard enough finding Primmy at times as she darted here there and everywhere catching up with players.

Chairman Richard did make a long speach but did apologise for the length. After all two Club legends were retiring so what else woulod you expect. Roosy was relaxed and it was nice to see how both of them were in such loving relationships. Very envious.

Daniel spoke very very well for someone his age. Club Captain for sure in the future. I was hoping they would show the GF parade footage with him sitting next to the Auskicker of the year. That was funny.

Keirin also made a very impressive speech considering he started it with the S word and said he had had too many beers. As Primmy said earlier he said his sporting abaility didn't come from his father who he called a "hack" who was very disciplined. As we were right next to their table I could see Garry and especially his wife laughing. Keirin's Mum is very attractive and looks too young to have had him. They all had a family hug when he was announced winner and I took a photo of them afterwards which I will send off to Scott in the next day or so. Keirin also spoke about his great love for Rhys and that he couldn't get a girlfriend. So there was this big laugh about that and all single females were to go to his table afterwards and Rhys held up the table number for all to see where he was.

After formalities, we asked Jude to have a group photo with him so instead he insisted he take the photo of us together first. That was funny and I thought we could start a competition next season as to which player takes the best fan photo. LRT did look you straight in the eyes and said his injury had been unfortunate but that is football. Really seemed a genuine person with great character.

Players with arms in slings were Daniel, Sam Reid and one other I think. I heard that it was Nick Maldrunski on the night but I didn't actually see him. Vez was having a very good time with shirt out and beer in hand. Barlows partner on the night was a stunner so don't worry about him. As was Playfairs. I accidently bumped into Tammy Roos' back with my camera case at the evening's end and said sorry and she smiled. I was surprised to hear that Nathan Gibbs was the one to have 12 hour lunches with as Richard Colless has done. What the doctor ordered.......

I was very disappointed not to see Tadgh's shoes as I was standing next to Primmy's friend as he was talking to him.

I didn't really see any ""celebrities". Miles Baron Hay was there. Saw Deborah Mutton in the foyer during a break. Saw just about every player going to or from the toilet. Kenny wasn't sitting too far away from us. Chairman Richard said being a CEO for the SWans that the years should be measured in dog years. That is, each year is equivalent to 7 years.

So that was my experience. It's expensive but really worth going to. I kept the alcohol consumption up at our table. The waiters kept bringing beer but a bit slow on wine and water. I behaved and was NOT belted by Primmy at any stage for misbehaving. So that was good.
    Last edited by Bas; 3rd October 2010 at 03:48 PM.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    It was Big Al who you met Prims -not to worry, I'm sure he wont mind the mix up. And Prims you are the the mum to us all - you are a wonderful lady and look out for all of us.
    No problem at all. Primms is a lovely lady indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    A huge thanks from me to Big Al, Al's mate Tim , Yuri & Nick for allowing a quite tired and emoitional 46 year old (with very sore feet) to hang with them latter in the evening, it was greatly appreciated and apologies if I was talking in tongues. But I managed to get to the right floor and the right room - so I still had my bearings. Caught up briefly with Al at the check out counter of the Hotel yesterday morning, he wasnt feeling all that flash either - we said a few words, well enough to communicate that we were both feeling like crap - and poor bugger Al had to go to work!
    No Wardy, Thank you for hanging out with us. I got sore ribs from laughing so much. My enormous hangover meant that I knew I had a great night and at least gave everyone at work a laugh when they saw the state I was in.

As for the night itself I really can't add anything to all the great reports already written only to say i agree with all the sentiments and observations made. It was great to meet up with more of the RWO family.

This is truly a great club and it's nights like these that reconfirm that fact.
    Last edited by Big Al; 3rd October 2010 at 04:33 PM.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Regular in the Side
    I had a great tme too!!! I wasn't really sure what to expect but all the people on my table were very friendly and kind ... even tolerating my non-AFL supporting friend I dragged along. It was great to see another RWO-er, Primmy, even inadvertently - you were very lovely! Overall a great night and a perfect conclusion to the season!

Veterans List
    It was a great night. Andrew I's speech went too long but I think Richard needed the time to cover it all. Loved watching the highlights again, round by round - and didn't the whole room come alive for Nicky D's goal and Leo's mark? Funny to hear Roos say how much he loved Brett Kirk's contribution "but a 73 point loss to Melbourne wasn't so flash". Kieren was very funny indeed.

And great to meet so many RWOers I knew or didn't know before. Wardy of course and Annie but I haven't seen Swanette for a couple of years. Primmy, Dimelb, Big AL, and BAS - it was great to talk. Larissa was looking gorgeous and when she came over to me I didn't recognise her at first, out of footy day gear. Spoke to Dan - such a nice honest kid and he said "if you haven't played finals footy I can't explain how different it is." He said that the Swans definitely lost rather than the Dogs won but thought they needed the experience as they might have got close to the Saints but wouldn't have had much chance if they'd been in this year's GF.

Thanks all - Mummy really said it best "bring on 2011".

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Just back from Tullamarine - we stayed over another night to catch up with family - a great night, and little to add to what others have said, except that mrs d took our copy of In the Blood around the room after the presentation and got the missing signatures. The players and others were without exception friendly, even enthusiastic, far beyond the call of duty, and if they weren't enjoying their night, were giving the best imitation I've ever seen. Being a member of the Swans is definitely one of the joys of life, especially on such occasions.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123