Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Personal Impressions of a Club Champion Event

Personal Impressions of a Club Champion Event

Well that was fun people! This thread is up because I forgot to turn off the radio alarm, and I am awake......should not be.

. Venue is pretty impressive, but loooong, and the tables kind of get lost down the end.
    . Players and their tables scattered amongst us, and I was between MikePyke and Keiran Jack, with a straight line view to Daniel Bradshaw.
    . Table decorations this year were just lovely. Picture this. Mirror tile in the middle, three staggered sized square to oblong shapes, the smallest with 4 red roses cut down to just fit, a bunch of red renunculars (sic) and a cluster of pure white bubby orchids waving over the top, and each corner of the mirror with a tea light in a container. Could see over the arrangement easily but it was glamour.

. Lots and Lots of love; Roosy spoke first and seemed to be enjoying himself, apparently tore himself away from Port Douglas to join us with the complete family - I think Tyler is the oldest, and he is going to be a hottie.
    . Kirky had his say, and he is a happy and proud man, who has left nothing behind except achievement and great affection. He is ready to go forward. He was also besieged by everyone afterwards, me included, and I eventually got a snoggy huggy hug from him, and one of his gazes; the most patient man in town. So is Mrs Kirky, she just disappears with the girls I think....leaves him to it, and he is madly in love with her. Both of them are lucky people.

. The best bit of MikePyke winning Greatest Improvement, was that he wasn't expecting it. We watched him 'cos we really did know it had to be him but he just sat there in his shirtsleeves. Nice big roar when he won, his accent isn't as powerful (wearing him down I think), his fiance is lovely (they are about to fly to Canada, and get married next week), he is a big man, I walked into him going around a corner and it was like walking into a lift door.....lucky me!

. Tagdh K was wearing the flashest shoes I have ever seen! Think patent leather snakeskin. Can't be, but.l.... My friend Lara took a photo of them.
    . Apropro nothing, my friend Ken discovered that his great great grandfather is buried in the same cemetary in Ireland as Tadgh's grandfather. Its tenuous I know, but fact.
    . Josh Kennedy is a sweetheart. Warm personality, terrific nature, happy as a pig, thrilled with his success, thrilled his family are with him all the way. We are lucky to have him around, he feels to me of a mix of Kirky and LRT.
    . LRT's hair still glows in the dark. Its amazing. He is gorgeous, looks you in the eye and I can't wait to see him on the field again.

. Hanners is a honey. Ernest, right arm in sling - Dr Gibbs is very impressed with his toughness, the shoulder was loose all year - can chat with the best of them, his speech although still some what "ummy" was not as heavily punctuated as his Rising Star speech - had a bit of trouble getting him to have a photo with me, the really nice girls who took the photo seemed to have caught his eye and apparently a white haired grandmother lumpy type is not as enticing....can't see why.

. Met Wardy, Giant, GoSwannie, lovely to have bas sit with me, and the big grin on dimelb's face said it all, and I loved meeting his family. Lots of oohhh, so that's who you are, going on. I think I could see Annie in a rip snorting turquoise green concoction a few tables over. Also met a few others, and it was kind of a crammed chat fest.
    . Ladies Loo is hilarious. Long line which belted along very quickly, faaarrr too many mirrors around, some girls in shoes that defied gravity in brownlow practice frocks clustered in the middle of the handwash area which was mirrored on both sides, mostly talking and talking, keeping an eye on their hair and makeup, while us lesser lights tried to circumvent them to reach the basin and towels.

. Ted Richards is a great sort. He was quizzed about his doppleganger, and in reply mentioned that Mumms dopleganger was Tigger from Winnie the Pooh, and the place fell about laughing because its true. BTW, Told Yers Ted would get Club Man, he just makes the most of his place and apparently does a lot of work that we just don't see.
    . Larissa looked terrific. She had a new hairdo, super pageboy cut, and it looked fantastic. Warm and friendly girl who can fix things and makes you very welcome. The organisers were out of uniform this year, and its for the better.

I am going to post this now and come back to it. I need more tea
    Last edited by Primmy; 3rd October 2010 at 04:06 PM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Back again.

. TDL is such a good looker.....and if you think I could find Lewis Jetta you are wrong. He is quick on the field and quicker off it.

. Wonderful seeing Joey and Mumms up on stage looking like they were as content as cats on a window sill (3rd and 2nd CC), while Roosy had quite a bit to say about the winner, along the lines of most CC's grew up nursing a footy from the age dot, and here was Kizza coming to the game as age 15 etc, and the fact that they were on the verge of passing him over for a rookie spot. Fruity apparently went into bat for him (no pun intended - he was there by the way) and worked and worked with him; and here he was CC at age 23. His speach was great. A deeply happy young man, who paid tribute to his parents, his father being a big unit who could play, but his mother was a champion athlete on a number of levels, which is forgotten in the mix, and he considers that's where he gets it from. Mrs Jack had the mobile phone live streaming to probably the rest of the family at home. He has a huge wide grin and it was a delight to see him in action up there. Kept fingering the medal and looking at it throughout his speech. Great stuff on many levels.

. Kizza's table was besieged by fellow players, in particular Rhyce Shaw, who wanted to congratulate him. You know those group hugs they indulge in at moments of great achievement? Try it in the middle of a crowd of tables, with ten or so decending fromthe other side of the room; it was a scrum. No matey handshakes here; bear hugs. It appears Rhyce is a greatly appreciated man at the club, and Kizza loves him.

. I think Bobby Skilton is shrinking, even Kizza was taller than him.
    . Barry Round is growing into his name,.
    . Number one ticket holder is the chairman of QBE Insurance, and he and his wife were stunned and thrilled. No wonder Wardy couldn't get a place at the table this year! Its become a Kudos spot now with others up the line taking advantage.
    . One of the life members this year is Dr Nathan Gibbs - who is held in great affection by all of the mob. Apparently his lunches are legendary. Mention was made if St Kilda win today then Rossy is coming up to have lunch.

. Some fantastic frocks and dress ups this year. And some "fantastic" frocks too. I won't say more.
    . Food was pretty darned good. Entre was a cold stack incorporating prawns, tiny little bits of cut tomatoe, avocado, smoked salmon etc. Main was a big serving of rare lamb with a dukka crust and broccoline, mash, and cubes of pumpkin; I really liked that, not a skeric left; desert was a strawberry tirramasu (yeah I know, a bit odd, but those who could eat creamy stuff didn't leave much behind).
    . Wine, was Betolli, and it appeared to be strictly rationed, along with the water. Waitstaff pleasant but probably not trained in noticing empty bottles and parched guests. Even the water was being doled out.

. I do like Benny McGlynne. He is not as shy/reserved at this end of the season as he was at the beginning; the scar has faded to naught, he is never going to win a beauty contest, but he is a nice man. We are lucky to have him on our side.
    . Garry Rohan looked like he was enjoying himself; I could imagine him enjoying himself at any party at any time.

. Spoke to Jake Oreal, he is going north to play footy, and its like talking to a bloke at the top of a step ladder, that boy is seriously tall; he is still in rehab from his back injury.....STILL.
    . Vespa was sucking on those bottles of blue tongue and by near nights end had his shirt out all round; I don't think 'style' is his forte. That's a note. Most of the boys stayed all dressed for most of the night; some of those suits must have been fitted at the beginning of the season because by seasons end there were a few which were very tight across the shoulders.
    . Now one has to admit, there appeared to be a bit of alcohol consumed, and a few of the lads looked extremely "happy". Extreeeemmlly Happy.
    . Paul Bevan slipped away at the end of the night; he is not a party man.

. Jude Bolton, is well Jude. Insisted on taking a group photo for us, before joining us for one.

. Met our Marketing Bloke Anthony Cammell (taa bas) and he is such a nice easy going personality. I enjoyed chatting to him.

. Top Night Out, and to finish it off, the parking station didn't charge for the six hour stay!!!! How's That for a gold star!

Thanks for the reminder Toppy; HOW could I forget the fabulous Adam Spencer as MC. Perfect. Talent. Inclusive, caring and sharing; got it right.

I do admit a heart warming glow when the top three said (unprompted) that they couldn't wait for pre-season and next year. I do believe it was Mumms who said "Bring It On".
    The enthusiasm was palpable. Whoohoo!
    Last edited by Primmy; 3rd October 2010 at 04:11 PM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Thanks for the detailed and personal wrap-up of the event Primmy - almost makes me feel like I was there - cheers!

Regular in the Side
    It was one of those memorable B and F nights, (and I've been to a few).

-Perfect venue, large enough, and right in the heart of the Sydney CBD

-Adam Spencer is the very good MC for such an occasion.

-Food and drinks were good

-I like the countdown process, because unlike say the Brownlow it is hard but not impossible to work out who wins near the end.

-Mike Pyke's most improve was very well received. The Swans know how to look after outsiders

-Everyone loves Kieron Jack. His speech was a work in process. He started nervously with the S word, and then, when he was obviously more comfortable, he got going to make it a great speech. His comments about the coach telling him at age 15 that he couldn't never be a footballer proved to be so inspiring. And I loved the fact, (without being facetious), that he now wants to be known as the son of his great Basketball and Volleyball state rep mother, not the son of Gary jack, who played a bit of Rugby League.

-Jack's win makes it 2 years out of 3 that the Bob Skilton medalist has been a product of the Greater Sydney Metropolitan area, (with Jarrad McVeigh winning in 2008). A sign that the Sydney Swans have truely settled into the harbour city. (Also, congratulations to Pennant Hills High: a Norm Smith medalist in Lenny Hayes and a Bob Skilton medalist in the same year!)

Only criticisms:

-The speeches could have been spread out more, and in the case of one, shorter. The countdown didn't start to after 9.

-The music was too loud after the awards were presented. I don't mind a bit of music, but during a time when you want to talk to others, do we have to have shout at the top of our voices because the music is so loud!
    Last edited by top40; 2nd October 2010 at 09:32 AM.

thanks Primmy

sounds like it was a great night !!
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Too crowded. Squeezed in about ten tables too many I reckon.

Regular in the Side
    Well what a ripper of a night that was. Hope a few of u r feeling as dusty as me this morning! I second primmy's report and move that it be carried. All in favour? Righto. There's never enough time to get around to everyone but geez they r all lovely. Saw the man crush for kezza and it's clear the boys love him. Birdy and bulldog joined rhyce in the man love and it was great to see. And Bradshaw - hippy hipy shake - what a delicious sight he is up close! But he's not very tall - found that really surprising. Mummy is a bloody big unit and cant wait for next year. Neither can I.
    Patterns emerge, but do they mean anything? No.

I forgot to mention the Chocolates!!!

Choco basket filled with good sized deliciousness, and then you got to eat the container! Great fun, and class touch.

Enormous thanks, Primmy. I couldn't make the live feed work. Had planned to go last year but couldn't when it was moved; didn't want to risk the same thing happening this year. 2011 I'll definitely be there.

Primmy, details like the flower arrangement in the centre of the table unexpectedly brought it alive for me and with your other descriptions of people and feelings and what you were seeing I felt like I was there.

Thanks to the other posters too. Larrissa, any chance of the music less loud in 2011? 600km round trip, time out from a critical time of the year re studies, maybe $1000 spent including accommodation and then not being able to talk with the players comfortably ... My point is that we can listen to loud music anytime, but can't mingle with fellow Swans supporters and players more than a few times a year.

Well said Ms Primmy - and you were having a ball too!

What a top night!!! Am feeling and looking like rubbish today and I didnt want to drag myself out of the Heavenly Bed at the Westin.

Mr & Mrs Barry Round got in the lift as I was about to check out this morning, they too were feeling a tad on the crap side. Barry said that he was happy that they decided not to go up to the Cross to kick on.

We were very lucky to be on the table next the Jack clan, to see the look on Kizza's parents faces when he got the top gong, they were so overcome and proud.

Mike Pyke is a honey as is Josh Kennedy - ah what the heck - they are all lovely.

got some interesting photo's which we all looked a little "tired and emotional" towards the end ( I love youse!!!) & alot of hugging of total strangers going on.

Food lovely (big tick), speeches wonderful (big tick, although Richy did go on for close to half an hour!), catch up with fellow RWOers' terrific (extra big tick)-

I'm now home and I need another lie down. Just cant back up like I used to!

Great to meet dimelb (who was beaming all night) & Bas for the first time it felt like I had known them both for years. And to catch up with so many who I have gotten to know over the years makes the night like a big family reunion.

Great to see that John & Loretta Cloney are now number 1 ticket holders. Really nice people who are genuinely passionate about the club and have put alot into the club as well.

Agree that there were a few too many tables - RP's wife had a number dinner plates shoved into the back of her head by the throng of passing waiters. I was literally rubbing shoulders with Jessie White who was on the table behind me they were that close together. However it was a love in of the highest order and it was sensational.

And we will do it all again next year!!!

another Berroca is required.
    Last edited by Wardy; 2nd October 2010 at 01:22 PM.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    had a bit of trouble getting him to have a photo with me, the really nice girls who took the photo seemed to have caught his eye and apparently a white haired grandmother lumpy type is not as enticing....can't see why.
    Primmy, were you in green? That was possibly me who took the photo for you ...
    Last edited by alison.z; 2nd October 2010 at 04:49 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Well that was fun people! This thread is up because I forgot to turn off the radio alarm, and I am awake......should not be.

. Met Wardy, Giant, GoSwannie, lovely to have bas sit with me, and the big grin on dimelb's face said it all, and I loved meeting his family. Lots of oohhh, so that's who you are, going on. I think I could see Annie in a rip snorting turquoise green concoction a few tables over. Also met a few others, and it was kind of a crammed chat fest.
    I am going to post this now and come back to it. I need more tea
    Haha, it must have been a pretty good nite, cos I was stuck at home with the kids! Not to say I don't look forward to meeting you at some point Primmy!

Must do this one year, sounds like an absolute hoot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast