Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roos offers to mentor potential geelong coach

Where else in the world are there a set of identical twin senior coaches working at the same level as each other at separate senior clubs in the same sport?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

How do the Cats know they didn't just hire Brad Scott?
    Last edited by ShockOfHair; 19th October 2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Missed a word
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    How do the Cats know didn't just hire Brad Scott?
    Ha . now there's an idea. He could probably get away with coaching both if he pulled a sickie when cats play roos. Or if they get bored they could just switch clubs.........

They probably approached him keeping in mind that vision of him and Brad ignoring each other when the Dockers played North. Must have thought, AhA! They are NOT joined at the hip!

Its going to be interesting to see the battle of the brothers - one head of the one of the highest achieving/highest membership clubs in the league being compared with a brother in charge of a not so effective/low membership club.

Perhaps we should start an ongoing thread comparing their performances. I think we are mean enough to do that, don't you?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

There's an amazing number of brothers who make the same teams or leagues, but I'm trying to think of twins. Apart from the Scotts and Waughs, are there any other successful sporting twins?
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    There's an amazing number of brothers who make the same teams or leagues, but I'm trying to think of twins. Apart from the Scotts and Waughs, are there any other successful sporting twins?
    There's a few. In tennis, the Bryan twins in USA; in cricket, the Bedser twins in England and the Shevill twins for Australian Women's Cricket. Probably others if you do a search.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    There's a few. In tennis, the Bryan twins in USA; in cricket, the Bedser twins in England and the Shevill twins for Australian Women's Cricket. Probably others if you do a search.
    The Lords! How does one leave out the Brownlow Medal scandal?!
    10100111001 ;-)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    The Lords! How does one leave out the Brownlow Medal scandal?!
    Well, let's hear the details!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Well, let's hear the details!
    !

Identical twins who played for Geelong in 1963 - Alistair and Stewart. In Round 9 against Richmond the boundary umpire (Sullivan) reported Alistair for striking. When it got to the Tribunal , Stewart claimed he was the one in the incident, and was backed up by the twins' father. The boundary umpire was adamant that number 4 (Alistair) threw the punch and not number 6 (Stewart) and voiced his outrage at the lies the players were telling. To make it even worse, Moloney - the Richmond player allegedly struck in the jaw - then stood up and claimed that no one had struck him at all and the boundary umpire told him "I am reporting number 6 of Geelong". He then insisted that "No-one has put me up to this." The claim that it was Stewart was also backed up by a club trainer for Geelong. The case was dismissed on account that Sullivan had made an honest mistake which would have been the end of it, except that Alistair was in brilliant form throughout the year and won the Brownlow count by nine votes, a margin rarely seen.

It comes down to who you believe - the Boundary Umpire, the Richmond player adhering to "the code", or the Brothers who had everything to gain if Alistair got cleared.
    10100111001 ;-)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    !

Identical twins who played for Geelong in 1963 - Alistair and Stewart. In Round 9 against Richmond the boundary umpire (Sullivan) reported Alistair for striking. When it got to the Tribunal , Stewart claimed he was the one in the incident, and was backed up by the twins' father. The boundary umpire was adamant that number 4 (Alistair) threw the punch and not number 6 (Stewart) and voiced his outrage at the lies the players were telling. To make it even worse, Moloney - the Richmond player allegedly struck in the jaw - then stood up and claimed that no one had struck him at all and the boundary umpire told him "I am reporting number 6 of Geelong". He then insisted that "No-one has put me up to this." The claim that it was Stewart was also backed up by a club trainer for Geelong. The case was dismissed on account that Sullivan had made an honest mistake which would have been the end of it, except that Alistair was in brilliant form throughout the year and won the Brownlow count by nine votes, a margin rarely seen.

It comes down to who you believe - the Boundary Umpire, the Richmond player adhering to "the code", or the Brothers who had everything to gain if Alistair got cleared.
    Amazing scenes! Thanks laughingnome.
    And I'd go with the umpire. The only one without a vested interest.

it will be interesting on game day when North play Geelong - the identical coaches with players all in blue and white stripes !!!
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

On the Rookie List
    Morris twins for the bisportal out there.
    I'm not arrogant, I'm right

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast