Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Sydney Swans Fixture - News and discussion

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    No Friday nights has always been purely and simply a TV issue. Whoever has had the rights doesn't want to go head to head in Sydney with the NRL.

The NRL had a few split rounds when they only had 1 match on Friday night. The AFL may elect to schedule a Friday night game when that scenario exists, even replaying on delay at 9:30pm into Syd/Bris.
    Disagree. We need tpo have football going live into Sydney & Brisbane Friday nights so we don't allow their dominance to continue. If the AFL is serious about getting into these areas (And I believe they are), then they need to be live (or near to) every Friday night. The point isn't to convert NRL types to AFL (Would you convert from AFL to NRL?) it is to attract new viewers and kids. Friday night games are a must for this to happen. Otherwise they do watch NRL and continue to from then on.

I like the 9:30pm time slot for a telecast. Seems to bridge the gap between the two idioms of a prime time coverage vs poor ratings. Besides, Ch9 telecasts the "premium game" first then the less popular game second. I wouldn't be surprised if Sydney based NRL supporters switched to watch Swans Vs Melbourne as opposed to watching Broncos Vs Cowboys.

Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    Really?? That farce when they unfurled the 2005 premiership flag at the SCG was a great moment??? When the piece of 25mm poly pipe nearly broke in half?? Thought it was a bit embarrassing TBH.
    We couldn't see that happen from our vantage point - near the point post in front of the Brewongle stand. Even if I had, after waiting 37 years to see us win the flag was always going to be a highlight for me.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Disagree. We need tpo have football going live into Sydney & Brisbane Friday nights so we don't allow their dominance to continue. If the AFL is serious about getting into these areas (And I believe they are), then they need to be live (or near to) every Friday night. The point isn't to convert NRL types to AFL (Would you convert from AFL to NRL?) it is to attract new viewers and kids. Friday night games are a must for this to happen. Otherwise they do watch NRL and continue to from then on.

I like the 9:30pm time slot for a telecast. Seems to bridge the gap between the two idioms of a prime time coverage vs poor ratings. Besides, Ch9 telecasts the "premium game" first then the less popular game second. I wouldn't be surprised if Sydney based NRL supporters switched to watch Swans Vs Melbourne as opposed to watching Broncos Vs Cowboys.
    I see what you're getting at and like it in principle - not just for Sydney matches but all Friday night games - but one problem is the finishing time. Channel 7 loves ads, so you know that even though it's delayed Seven will pump the ads in and the game won't finish till 1am. You'll get people watching the first half, but people will go to bed before the match is over, expecially the kiddies.
    10100111001 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    No Friday nights has always been purely and simply a TV issue. Whoever has had the rights doesn't want to go head to head in Sydney with the NRL.

The NRL had a few split rounds when they only had 1 match on Friday night. The AFL may elect to schedule a Friday night game when that scenario exists, even replaying on delay at 9:30pm into Syd/Bris.

So which part of my post did you disagree with?
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

We need tpo have football going live into Sydney & Brisbane Friday nights so we don't allow their dominance to continue. If the AFL is serious about getting into these areas (And I believe they are), then they need to be live (or near to) every Friday night. The point isn't to convert NRL types to AFL (Would you convert from AFL to NRL?) it is to attract new viewers and kids. Friday night games are a must for this to happen. Otherwise they do watch NRL and continue to from then on.
    Why is it the AFL or 7 don't have the balls to put their product up against an inferior product? I mean, if you feel you have a better product (read game), then you should be prepared to put it up against any opposition, even in "hostile" territory.
    Last edited by goswannie14; 23rd October 2010 at 03:25 PM.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

GS14, it's a better product live, but on TV there's a strong argument that it's not.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

I would rather see the Swans stick to their routine of playing games on saturday evenings or daytime sunday.Televised games friday night are more practicle when played interstate. Do'nt want to give the Not.Really.Likeable. code some ammo with crowd comparative figures. The hot air coming from news corp will be unbearable.A.F.L. RULES.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pieman View Post
    I would rather see the Swans stick to their routine of playing games on saturday evenings or daytime sunday.Televised games friday night are more practicle when played interstate. Do'nt want to give the Not.Really.Likeable. code some ammo with crowd comparative figures. The hot air coming from news corp will be unbearable.A.F.L. RULES.
    This.
    Last edited by BeeEmmAre; 23rd October 2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Just realised I agreed with a Collingwood supporter. Being in England must have frizzled my brain!
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

The "draft" draw has us playing Melbourne at MCG round 1, then can't remember who at ANZ round 2. SCG needs time to get the cricket pitches out apparently.

One Friday night game mid season, so if we want to avoid unfavourable comparisons of crowd numbers, lock it in early and ring in as many newbies as you can find...

Two byes, one of them over the Easter weekend.

3 games at ANZ this year, which we are contracted to until 2016 or some similarly distant time.
    Last edited by Kirkari; 23rd October 2010 at 10:15 PM.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Saints and Cats to clash in Round 1 | Courier Mail

Round 1 won't be against the Saints, Cats, Bombers, Blues, Tigers, Hawks, Crows, Kangaroos, Eagles, GC (who have the bye)
    leaving
    Lions, Magpies, Dockers, Demons, Power, Bulldogs
    Last edited by ugg; 24th October 2010 at 01:38 AM.

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkari View Post
    The "draft" draw has us playing Melbourne at MCG round 1, then can't remember who at ANZ round 2. SCG needs time to get the cricket pitches out apparently.

One Friday night game mid season,
    Friday night at ANZ?

Veterans List
    I've got visit Sydney in the new year so thinking I might time it to coincide with the NAB Cup round robin at Blacktown.

I'll be saying in the city so what is the best way to get to Blacktown, do I have to drive or is there a train that will be full of Swannies?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast