Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 draft talk (continuation thread)

Regular in the Side

2010 draft talk (continuation thread)

Time for a new thread 80 pages too long. If at 21 either or both Tape and Watson available I will be very disappointed if we rake Conca as suggested in herald sun by Jay Clark Both are backmen, Watson All Aust Full back and Tape capt of SA Under 18 side. With CB recivering from injury one pretty serious as well we need some size on backline.

Veterans List
    Tape has outstanding potential but I doubt he will last until our first pick.

AFL has just posted amended lists for all clubs. We have put Goodes and Jude as outside list veterans and with Pyke promoted that leaves us five vacant senior places. Can't see us using more than four picks at the ND so be interesting to see if we are intending to do something with the last spot.

Amended picks based on spots on others lists etc, it now looks like we have 21, 40, 57, 70 75

We also have 7 vacant rookie positions.
    Last edited by 707; 5th November 2010 at 06:10 PM.

John Anthony to enter the pre-season draft...

John Anthony quits Magpies | Herald Sun

Apparently he's had enough of Collingwood.

Would we be interested in him? He's only 22.

He certainly showed he could hold up under pressure in that semi-final against the Crows last year.

I think he's worth a look.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    i respect Anthony's ability, but I don't think we'll be interested. Who would you leave out?
    On the other hand, several Melbourne clubs would jump at the chance: North, Essendon, Richmond just for starters. He'd be guaranteed a weekly game at any of them.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

hhhmmm

we picked up Everitt, but with Kennelly and Bolton close to a final year in the backs in 2011............and upfront he could be very handy...............GC would be keen as
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Its not his ability thats the problem its whats between his ears or NOT between his ears.........

Veterans List
    Probably a useful addition but may not get any more opprtunities with us than he has at Collingwood, who would he displace?

I hope he has thought this through. If he wanted to go during trade week, being out of contract Collingwood would have got him to where he wanted to go. If he can get into the ND then he could go to any one of 17 teams, be interested to see who picks him up and with what pick, that will show his potential. If he is only able to get into the PSD then GWS have the first million picks followed by GC, WCE. Good luck to him, as I say, hope he has thought this through as he now has no choice about where he goes unless he is keen on the VFL and Blacktown!
    Last edited by 707; 7th November 2010 at 12:29 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    If he is only able to get into the PSD then GWS have the first million picks followed by GC, WCE. Good luck to him, as I say, hope he has thought this through as he now has no choice about where he goes unless he is keen on the VFL and Blacktown!
    GWS aren't recruiting senior players this year (though probably have some rookie draft picks, as GC did last year). And GC don't have picks in the PSD either, but are able to add to their "previously listed or in draft" quota. However, I think that they are barred from picking up players on a 2010 club list under this entitlement - a necessary exclusion or else they would have been able to unfairly distort their right to pick up one out-of-contract player from each club by inducing others to leave and enter the draft.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    GWS aren't recruiting senior players this year (though probably have some rookie draft picks, as GC did last year). And GC don't have picks in the PSD either, but are able to add to their "previously listed or in draft" quota. However, I think that they are barred from picking up players on a 2010 club list under this entitlement - a necessary exclusion or else they would have been able to unfairly distort their right to pick up one out-of-contract player from each club by inducing others to leave and enter the draft.
    Sorry you are correct, it's the rookie draft where GWS have the first eight picks.

PSD order is GC, WCE, Wretchmond, Essendon, Brisbane etc although I wouldn't have thought GC would be using a PSD pick.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Sorry you are correct, it's the rookie draft where GWS have the first eight picks.

PSD order is GC, WCE, Wretchmond, Essendon, Brisbane etc although I wouldn't have thought GC would be using a PSD pick.
    Think WCE have the first PSD pick. As I suggested above, allowing GC the first pick in the PSD would give them the potential to poach more than one uncontracted player from a single club.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Think WCE have the first PSD pick. As I suggested above, allowing GC the first pick in the PSD would give them the potential to poach more than one uncontracted player from a single club.
    Liz, I bow to your in depth knowledge, damned complicated AFL rules - I must study a bit harder !

Notice that Cameron Bruce has quit the Tankers wanting a two year contract not the one year contract offered. He is a Veteran outside the list for them and no one else is eligible so they don't get an extra pick in lieu of him at the ND or PSD.

How would this bloke look in our forward line? The ability is there (under the right circumstances) and he seems to have good work ethic?
    Last edited by agro; 9th November 2010 at 10:27 AM.
    I'm stupid, I'm ugly, I'm dumb, I smell.... Did I mention that I'm stupid?

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast