Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reserves to play in the NEAFL

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Reserves to play in the NEAFL

That is, the North East Australian Football League (who comes up with these acronyms, honestly? )

AFL's north east boost - AFL.com.au

In summary, the Swans Reserves still basically compete in AFL Canberra comp (a.k.a. eastern conference), with the winner of the comp to play off against the QAFL comp (a.k.a northern conference). The big bonus though is the cross-over games against the Lions and Suns reserves teams.

How it will work PDF - http://www.afl.com.au/portals/0/afl_...l_nov_2010.pdf
    Last edited by ugg; 11th November 2010 at 12:06 PM.

Why wasn't Canberra AFL called the CAFL?

Must have taken them some time to think of this acronym. Now what can we put in front of afl? Jafl? No won't work. Bafl? Nope. Oafl would have had the butchers cheering. Rafl another good one.

Anyway, I'll be really looking forward to next years reserves. About as close as we will get to the 90's when the Vic sides came up.

Would be interested to see Folau's progress.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

I've been trying to work out the logistics. The document mentions 7 games against other AFL teams, so if we assume we play the Lions and Suns home and away once (hopefully the away games co-inciding with the seniors games up north), that means we play GWS three times within our own conference.

The fact that there are an odd-numbered (7) number of teams in the Eastern Conference but an even-numbered (10) number of teams in the Northern Conference is going to be interesting for the schedule.

Edit: actually the new 24 round afl schedule makes this work quite nicely. A 20 round conference competition, with 17-18 games and 2-3 byes plus four games against GC and Brisbane = 24
    Last edited by ugg; 11th November 2010 at 12:29 PM.

Senior Player
    Awesome.

Senior Player
    This is a very good outcome for us. Our younger players won't have to put up with as many byes during the year and they will be exposed to the equivalent AFL standard players from the other 3 interstate teams.

It will be interesting to see how our 2nd tier measures up against the reserves from Brissy, GC and GWS

Living in 2005
    Great result! Well done AFL and all involved.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Sangster View Post
    This is a very good outcome for us. Our younger players won't have to put up with as many byes during the year and they will be exposed to the equivalent AFL standard players from the other 3 interstate teams.

It will be interesting to see how our 2nd tier measures up against the reserves from Brissy, GC and GWS
    Agreed. Very good planning.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

How long before the Melbourne clubs start complaining that the NEAFL is stronger than the VFL ? Will Eddie apply to enter the Pies ressies in the Canberra conference ?
    Last edited by aardvark; 11th November 2010 at 09:58 PM.

This is a dog's breakfast. At short notice, it would have been naive to expect better. But it is. It's still the Canberra league, and still the Qld comp. Completely unchanged except for the introduction of GC to one and GWS to the other. After that, the only change will be that some 'cross-conference' games will be played for premiership points. But, here's the really demeaning thing for the comps, they will only be played when AFL 2nds sides play each other-- meaning that Swans reserves will only ever play H&A cross-conference games against Blions and GC 2nds, and other Canberra sides will only ever play cross-conference games against non-AFL Qld sides.

This begs the question: will we still be playing 'one hand tied behind our back' maximum listed numbers for games against the traditional Canberra sides, but anything-goes for cross-conference? Can't imagine that the Blions and GC will be playing with 13 listed players plus top-ups sort of nonsense. And why would we play a 'limited list' game against GWS, who are an AFL side in waiting (and who will in 2011 at least, doubtless play everyone on their list)? This idea of swapping rules from one week to the next, just demeans the comp and means that in the short term, the NEAFL premiership cup will hardly be a much-sought-after thing.

It broadens the horizons of the 2 separate comps, while playing havoc with their integrity. If there is ever to be a genuine single-comp called the NEAFL (or, you know what I mean, not called the NEAFL 'cos it's a naff name but allowing the best of the state leagues of NT, Qld, NSW and ACT to play each other for a single premiership), it will require a lot more work, a lot more cash, and some actual Sydney state league sides. Had to start somewhere though, I guess.

Simon, the limited list is purely for the Canberra clubs' benefit, who were close to revolting and refusing to play with the Swans after their dominating 2005 and 06 seasons (and when we went through 07 undefeated despite these restrictions, the restrictions became even more severe). The Lions have similar restrictions placed upon them although I believe they are less austere than ours. I have full confidence that when we play another AFL club, that no restrictions will be involved. At the end of the day, I don't think the Swans (and by extension the other AFL reserves sides) care too much whether they win or lose the game, they would rather have the opportunity of giving more game time to their listed players.

I am not confident whether these cross-over games will involve premiership points. Given that there are 5 non-AFL Canberra sides, and 8 non-AFL QAFL sides, there will be some non-AFL QAFL sides who will have to miss out when the crossover games occur? But if there is nothing besides bragging rights to play for, these crossover games between the non-AFL Canberra and non-AFL QAFL sides could turn out to be damp squibs as they would seek to maximise their chances of winning their conference by saving their best players for the local conference matches when there are points up for grabs.
    Last edited by ugg; 12th November 2010 at 12:32 AM.

It's a bit confusing to look at, but I think it will work. The AFL has said in some quote that AFL sides will be able to play unrestricted against same, and that will happen 7 times a year (3 against cross-town, 4 against interstate). You're right about the unfairness of the draw, Simon, but in the short term there is no better way. The AFL seems to be cautious and unsure if it will work or if the clubs will even be able to finance it - not everyone is an Ainslie or Southport. As far as I see it this is a good step, but struggling with the dilemma of setting up a new comp and not ready to destroy the old. Waiting till at least the draw is announced to pass judgement though.

The ideology is right though; getting a better first-class standard in the Northern States will only aid grassroots development. Who knows, maybe the ABC will pick it up like they do with the VFL.

It's been pointed out that 7 Eastern Teams leaves the door open for other NSW sides (from Sydney or elsewhere) to later join. 20 teams is large but it could work.
    Last edited by laughingnome; 12th November 2010 at 02:06 AM.
    10100111001 ;-)

You may be right!

Next year is seen as a transition year ahead of a full-blown league in 2012.
    http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...u/1995452.aspx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast