Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neafl

Well said Jupiter! Scary stuff ... A cynical observer might think that the AFL will be satisfied if there is a larger viewing audience generated in Sydney by having a 2nd team, even if it's at the expense of lower tiers of the code and junior footy ... after all, TV rights is the only real game in town!

Will this neafl have a reserves side or only seniors and also will this mean the end for Sydney afl games on Foxtel.giants is a @@@@ house name for a club this isn't America also orange and charcol come on there marketing guy need to get of the wizz fizz.Western Sydney Warriors would of been better(green yellow black)

Yeah What he said! Very articulate jupiter

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    With my "fan of the code" hat on, having a second team in Sydney and this new Northern League generally look like positives for the game when looked at from the perspective of the low base the code is coming up from in Sydney. With an older Sydney AFL person hat on though I can see, somewhat depressingly that these two initiatives are based on rather rushed AFL Head Office commercial imperatives (which these days you must agree = the same as "good for the code" or else you are in trouble......) AND its the same old AFL Head Office "top down" approach to Sydney footy we have seen for decades - years in which the local Sydney AFL objective was meant to be building the Sydney AFL Premier Division towards being a genuine state league - with thriving clubs and a competition good enough for the Swannies 2s to compete in. Instead we see the Sydney comp being overlooked as STILL not good enough (anyone taking responsibility for that ?......) and effectively being consigned to another lower level - player drain will occur, maybe even teams will be pulled out of local comp in years to come to prop up the Eastern ressies league. I know the recent money spent by the AFL on facilities can't be anything but good for the local comp - and the Talented pathway and AFL scholarships stuff has had important flow on effects for clubs - BUT I still wish we could see some bottom up approach from the AFL, which nurtures and assists local clubs, the same clubs for whom the local league remains their biggest cost centre and continuing demander of all things "more professional". Unfortunately I despair that this will ever happen when I see the many smart folks being thrown at the job of looking to quickly build the "grass roots" for Team GWS and the AFL folks not acknowledging the irony that at the same time they do this work for GWS, they continue the decades long failure to effectively engage with, support and help build the local clubs, who remain its Sydney community base.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12