Thread: How GC (and possibly GWS) will assemble in 3 to 5 years

How GC (and possibly GWS) will assemble in 3 to 5 years

I am trying to get a picture of the Gold Coast Suns team list looking forward 3 to 5 years.

To do this I have gone back to the drafts after the 2005 season.

I have then constructed a team list based on:
    Traded players/recruits
    Picks in national draft: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 28, 45
    Pick in preseason draft: 1 (best available player)
    Top 6 rookies
    Using this formula this is what their list may resemble in 3-5 years:

B: heath hocking nathan bock campbell brown
    HB: shaun higgins shannon hurn paul duffield
    C: scott pendlebury marc murphy kieran jack
    HF: dale thomas jared brennan travis varcoe
    F: jason porplyzia patrick ryder ben mcglynn
    Foll: mitch clarke gary ablett michael rischitelli
    Int: matthew priddis alan toovey xavier ellis Kasey Green

This was based on:

trades/recruits gary ablettmichael rischatellicampbell brownnathan bockjared brennan
    nat draft 1marc murphy2dale thomas3xavier ellis5scott pendlebury7patrick ryder9mitch clarke11shaun higgins13shannon hurn15travis varcoe28matt riggio45kasey green
    ps draft jason porplyzia
    rookie draft alan tooveypaul duffieldmatthew priddisheath hockingben mcglynnkieran jack

Pretty good side heh? Anyone scared yet?

There are no doubt the concessions are going to well and truly set up especially the GC but also the GWS Bogans to be challenging for a flag in their first few years. That is a very nice side you have there on paper, but football is not played on paper, and it takes a lot to win a flag at an established club, let alone at a club which is just being founded. Interesting time to come, but I'm not scared!

Living in 2005
    There are many challenges ahead for both clubs, including developing their draft and rookie picks into top line AFL players and then when they do, keeping them under the salary cap. Their additional salary cap is only for a limited period. I don't believe they will be that successful in the first few years and beyond that is all about list management and club culture.

I think both clubs will be competitive enough and win a few games, keeping crowds happy but the instant or short term flag everyone is talking about, I just don't buy into.

I'd be interested to see where the above fantasy team would sit in a salary cap when you factor in the remaing 16-18 players on the list.

Based purely on their management, GWS will fail to make finals in the next 5 years, thus missing their window of opportunity, and will need to be bailed out of bankruptcy by the AFL. This will be achieved by a merger with an equally floundering Victorian club ... North are the obvious prediction ... regards Nostradamus.
    Last edited by unconfuseme; 26th November 2010 at 10:08 PM.