Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Troy Luff medal stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Didn't Scott flag this question a few weeks after the season finish?
    Great minds thinking alike.

I must have missed that thread or short term memory loss.

I just think that if you are going to have an award then it should be after someone of significance. Let's face it, wasn't the Luffy award, tongue in cheek when it was first started.

It's like when the pull a stand down at a sporting event, they don't rename the new stand the same as the one that it replaced.

Time for a change but I know people hate change.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

No.
    TLM stays.

Bas, you know that Luffy is still playing don't you???

I figure if Kirky is still playing 10 years after he's retired, then we can change the name then.

See you in 2020.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Pushing for Selection
    The brutal and best award will always be the jamie lawson medal
    if your head is made out of chocolate dont stand out in the sun

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    No.
    TLM stays.

Bas, you know that Luffy is still playing don't you???

I figure if Kirky is still playing 10 years after he's retired, then we can change the name then.

See you in 2020.
    So Annie remind me of the basis of the award.

I've seem him play on Foxtel and it's great that he is still participating but his playing days are long gone.

Troy Luff is a shadow of Brett Kirk in terms of Swans history. I don't mean to be derogative to Luffy but Brett Kirk was what "bloods" was meant to be all about.

So we won't meet until 2020? I hate it when women keep me waiting>>>> Thank God, Santa is a male!!!
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

On the Rookie List swansrock4eva's Avatar
    IIRC when the TLM was started, it was named after Luffy because he embodied a lot of the spirit that long-suffering fans believed in - keep trying no matter what, don't take no for an answer, you may not be the most skilled bloke on the field, but the guts are always there. etc etc. It was deliberately named after a player who wasn't going to adorn the record books or who would be remembered as a legend of the game in the wider sense, but rather someone who meant something more to us long-suffering fans, and you have to admit, most people have had a pretty big soft spot for Luffy! While you could probably argue that Kirky also embodies those sorts of spiritual ideals, I think given where our club has come from, and that Luffy was part of that rise from near-oblivion in the early-90s, it is fitting that he remains recognised, not necessarily for being a "great" of the club in terms of achievements, but for being a great reminder of our struggling roots, and for being part of the building blocks that gave us the club we have today.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Kirk - will probably have an official gong named after him at some stage - but here at RWO - Luffy will live forever because as SR4E says "because he embodied a lot of the spirit that long-suffering fans believed in - keep trying no matter what, don't take no for an answer, you may not be the most skilled bloke on the field, but the guts are always there. etc etc. It was deliberately named after a player who wasn't going to adorn the record books or who would be remembered as a legend of the game in the wider sense, but rather someone who meant something more to us long-suffering fans, and you have to admit, most people have had a pretty big soft spot for Luffy!"

KEEP THE TLM
    sprite

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrock4eva View Post
    IIRC when the TLM was started, it was named after Luffy because he embodied a lot of the spirit that long-suffering fans believed in - keep trying no matter what, don't take no for an answer, you may not be the most skilled bloke on the field, but the guts are always there. etc etc. It was deliberately named after a player who wasn't going to adorn the record books or who would be remembered as a legend of the game in the wider sense, but rather someone who meant something more to us long-suffering fans, and you have to admit, most people have had a pretty big soft spot for Luffy! ...
    Wonderfully put SR4E.
    If, and it is a really big IF, you wanted to change it surely it would have to be the Stuey Maxfield Medal before the BKM.
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 26th December 2010 at 11:30 AM.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Blog Entries
    Luffy was not the greatest player, but he played during the toughest times at Sydney. He was thrown into the tough job as a fill in Ruckman, and did admirably against his larger opponents.

He was not the heart and soul of the club during his time, as Kirk was, but he was certainly a cult figure, the boy with the blonde Mullet.
    Pulling in screamers, kicking goals, ruck duties, he was thrown around the ground a lot.

I'm not sure where all these romantic stories are coming from re: the evolution of the TLM.

Luffy used to post on RWO on a semi-regular basis, so all the regs fell in love with him.

That's the reason, pure and simple. Not saying all the romantic stories of Luffy the player are not accurate, but they are NOT the reason the TLM was so named.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Luffy was not the greatest player, but he played during the toughest times at Sydney. He was thrown into the tough job as a fill in Ruckman, and did admirably against his larger opponents.

He was not the heart and soul of the club during his time, as Kirk was, but he was certainly a cult figure, the boy with the blonde Mullet.
    Pulling in screamers, kicking goals, ruck duties, he was thrown around the ground a lot.
    Also add that he became a fans favorite because he seem to cop Rocket's wrath more than any other player at the time.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

I'm not sure where all these romantic stories are coming from re: the evolution of the TLM.

Luffy used to post on RWO on a semi-regular basis, so all the regs fell in love with him.

That's the reason, pure and simple. Not saying all the romantic stories of Luffy the player are not accurate, but they are NOT the reason the TLM was so named.
    But it would appear that they are some of the reasons that people want it retained.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Yep.

At the time I was very opposed to the concept of teh Trpy Luff medal.
    Naming an award for excellence after a mediocre player seemed stupid.
    Don't kow if those threads are still lurking deep down in teh recesses of RWO or not....

Anyway, it was decided taht the medal should be named that and it has been since.
    Right or wrong in its inception, it is what it is and should stay what it is
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast