Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Media predictions.

I was listening to 6PR radio last weekend (don't ask me why, I just WAS) and Karl Langdon, in his infinite wisdom, categorically stated that the Swans will finish 12th - 15th just BELOW the Weazles!! Idiot.

I remember Sam Newman saying back at the start of the 2006 season that the Swans wouldn't make the eight. Well, we went one point short of back to back premierships fool!! These so-called experts are always writing off the Swans, yet each year (apart from 2009 of course) we prove them wrong. At least we didn't take the shortest amount of time to go from Premiers to Wooden Spooners. West Coast...I'm looking in your direction!!
    Last edited by Allymay; 17th March 2011 at 02:27 AM. Reason: typo
    I might have a slight drinking problem. My husband asked me to toast some bread for him...so I raised my wine glass and said "Here's to bread!"

AFL team preview: Sydney Swans - One HD

OneHD have us dropping two places to 7th

Also contains this gem;
    The Swan?s will miss inspirational leader Brett Kirk and the run provided by Patrick Veszpremi
    Not enough lols in the whole world for that
    -

Meh
    If the media cannot remember the results from six months ago, or differentiate between 5th and 7th place, why worry about where they tip the Swans to finish? How can we be sure they are even looking at the right code?

In the past few years we have been:
    Too young
    Too old
    Too slow
    Too ugly (have they seen the team? I mean really?)
    Win or lose they rarely have anything realistic to say so why pay attention? (Unless it?s to laugh)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    AFL team preview: Sydney Swans - One HD

OneHD have us dropping two places to 7th

Also contains this gem;

Not enough lols in the whole world for that

Possible typo, r instead of a f?

A comment in an article from this weeks Inside Football:

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Casanelia
    Despite being written off more times than a bad debt, Sydney's resilience coupled with the new approach of coach John Longmire will make it hard to displace [from the final 8]. Since 2000, the Swans have missed the finals twice - a record no Victorian club can match.

But still question marks remain over Sydney's ability to again play September football.
    That was in the midst of an article about how "The Big V" was back and the distinct chance that the final 8 could be all Victorian, something that hasn't happened since 1989. It was nothing but pandering to the Vics, claiming the top four was a sure thing for Victoria and that Freo, Adelaide and Sydney posed the only threat to spoil the party by taking one of the minor places. I may agree that those three clubs will be the best of the non-Victorians ('Interstate Club' is an insult) but that Top Four is far from a certainty.

I think the pre-season is always going to be filled with optimistic hype from all clubs, because it's easy to be optimistic when you haven't seen actual on-the-park form.
    10100111001 ;-)

It's the dummies in the lower end of the media who don't get it. I think the smarter guys have taken on board the Swans' performance last year.

Terry Wallace thinks we'll go 3-8, Mike Sheahan said 6-8, Gerard Healy's countdown has us at least 7th and we're also somewhere in Rohan Connolly's eight.

Connolly and Geoff Slattery, the editor of AFL.com.au, both commented on the fact that no-one paid any attention to the Swans' performance in hauling in the Pies after giving them a five-goal start. I reckon we've got more friends in the media this year than for a few years. Plus that new Fox commentator has a pretty positive view of us.

The rest of the league rates us - we're sixth in the captain's poll:

Buddy love - AFL.com.au
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Veteran Site Admin

Swans dump entire playing list on eve of season...

Not a media prediction, per se, but further evidence of the high regard the media holds our club in. I see that, on the eve of the season, the club has dumped its entire list...except one. Appears Brett Meredith has been retained, albeit having changed his name to Patrick Veszpremi. And at least we get a couple of old favourites - Hall and Barlow - back in the replacement squad.

Sydney | The Daily Telegraph

Senior Player
    Some teams just fly under the radar and nobody really notices or discusses them, it seems. We fall into that category, as do North and Port, maybe the Bulldogs. We're not interesting from a scandal or gossip point of view, we're no-nonsense and professional, and we don't have the fan base of a Richmond or a Collingwood.

So naturally large chunks of the media are too busy obsessing over the big Victorian clubs to see the rest of the league.

Blog Entries
    Sack the reporter. You'd figure someone would have seen that by now ... still there ...

Gerard Healy predicts 6th.

Nice stat: The Swans conceded only 10 marks per game inside defensive 50, ranked No.1 in the competition.
    Last edited by ShockOfHair; 19th March 2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Dumbness
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The Age 2011 Footy Guide arrived today and the experts predicted for the Swans as follows: Robert Walls 10th; Garry Lyon 8th; Matthew Lloyd 6th. I laughed out loud when I read the first one! Rohan Connolly has us dropping from 5th to 7th. Go figure.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    The Age 2011 Footy Guide arrived today and the experts predicted for the Swans as follows: Robert Walls 10th; Garry Lyon 8th; Matthew Lloyd 6th. I laughed out loud when I read the first one! Rohan Connolly has us dropping from 5th to 7th. Go figure.
    Quarterbrain has us us 9-11
    Anthony Hudson had us as the biggest sliders of 2011, out of the 8! 9-11

Awesome work guys

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast