Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nick Davis Academy of Kicking

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I miss Davo threads...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I tried my best, but I think there's one thing that we've all learnt about Nick over the years; he's a lover, not a fighter.
    He had no love for Canberra...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    I miss Davo threads...
    I miss Davo...

Does anyone think we could "dream, believe, achieve" him back into the game?

I think he is still playing with Balmain this year isn't he? ... can't be far from there back onto the Swan's list ... I suppose that will all depend on his time constraints working as a racehorse strapper

Gee double you Ess !! ???

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    I miss Davo...

Maybe Rodney Eade could offer him a contract with the Dogs? It worked for one wayward Sydney forward... he could be the cautionary tale for Veszpremi, this is what happens if you don't work hard enough kind of thing...

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    I miss Davo...

You haven't posted for ages and "BOOM" a beauty to get us going...gotta love those Masters games
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some footage of the great man- the flattering white uniform makes him even greater!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I've had enough wine to prompt a post. Nick Davis is one of the most naturally gifted players I have seen in my relatively short time of watching AFL. I thought he was a wonderful player, and as someone else said, if he'd had the work ethic of Kirk or O'Keefe, he would probably have had a couple of Brownlows to go with his premiership medal. For me he ranks up there in the excitement players with Ablett senior, Chris Lewis, Goodesy and a few other select individuals. I loved his work. Apart from the Geelong game for which he will always be remembered (if not immortalised!), I remember sitting in a pub, watching him on Fox against Hawthorn on a day when we were missing Barry Hall. Davo destroyed them - yes, it was a team effort and others certainly put in, but he gave a master class. Good luck to him, whatever he ends up doing. And thanks for the memories.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Round 22, 2007. He played at FF, Mickey played further up the ground. Nick kicked 4 goals and set up quite a few for his teammates (including giving up a couple of gimmes to share the love). A virtuoso performance, but he sadly played only 4 more games at AFL level from there- kicking at least a goal in every one.

Dropping him after a 2 point loss in round 1 of 2008 is something I'll always frown on Roos for. Didn't do enough in a 2 point loss? He scored 7 of the Swans' last 8 points as they went from 49-41 to 51-49 in the loss. Ablett, Bevan, Bird, J Bolton, Crouch, Goodes, Grundy, Hall, Jolly, Kirk, O'Loughlin, Richards, LRT had the same number of touches or less than Davo had that night but they all played the next week; clearly only one of them needed to be taught a lesson. Out of interest he was dropped for future club stalwart Ed Barlow.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Dropping him after a 2 point loss in round 1 of 2008 is something I'll always frown on Roos for.
    Sadly, all coaches play favourites, and unfortunately for the Swans, Davo was not one of Roos', meaning that a gifted player was lost to the game.

I remember watching one of those archived matches last year featuring a 19 y.o. Collingwood kid with peroxide "tips" carving it up. He was switching on the ball, half back and wing - a fit, clearly talented kid with a handful of games behind him, he showed confidence with ball in hand, moved beautifully, wasn't shy about getting his own ball, and hardly missed a target ... one of those guys it all just came too easily for!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast