Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sydney Swans Reserves v East Coast Eagles 19th March

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Bradshaw out of this game and also Round 1. LRT and Tadhg ruled out of this game, but apparently not for Round 1 (hmmmm)

TDL, White, Reid and Pyke will feature and might be fighting for that last forward spot earmarked for Bradshaw (well maybe not Pyke)

Key defensive duo rested from final hit out - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club

So a possible team list for Saturday, after reading that article and the latest injury list.

7. Meredith
    8. Dennis-Lane
    10. Currie
    11. Lamb
    18. White
    20. Reid
    23. Johnston
    26. Parker
    28. McNeil
    34. Johnson
    36. McKaigue
    38. Pyke
    43. Kruger
    44. Otten
    45. Gordon
    46. Haren

Big names return - AFL.com.au

Permission to play list released. It is the same list of players as the one I listed above less than the 6 rookie-listed players. Apparently they have automatic permission to play.

So 16 listed players will front up tomorrow which is a pretty strong line up, plus whatever topups they can find be they scholarship players, Academy players or other SFL players.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's a shame they're playing this at LSO and not at Bruce Purser (or even Blacktown). Suprised the AFL didn't push for it.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    It's a shame they're playing this at LSO and not at Bruce Purser (or even Blacktown). Suprised the AFL didn't push for it.
    It's a scratch match organised by the Swans and the purpose of the game is for match practice for both sides, not in any way promoting the Swans or AFL in general. Even if the weather was good (which is forecasted to be rainy), I doubt there would be more than 100 people watching that are not associated with either of the 2 clubs. I wouldn't even hazard a guess at how many would turn up if it was out west. All you would be doing is inconveniencing both the club and the diehards that turn out to watch them.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    It's a scratch match organised by the Swans and the purpose of the game is for match practice for both sides, not in any way promoting the Swans or AFL in general. Even if the weather was good (which is forecasted to be rainy), I doubt there would be more than 100 people watching that are not associated with either of the 2 clubs. I wouldn't even hazard a guess at how many would turn up if it was out west. All you would be doing is inconveniencing both the club and the diehards that turn out to watch them.
    Certainly, it's just a scratch match for them to get some practice- but I don't see the harm in using it as a promotion opportunity for the local football competition/ECE- I think there's even an outside chance they'd get more people turning up to see them playing the Swans Reserves with some seniors in it at home than the Swans will have turn up to see their reserves play against ECE at LSO. I don't overly see how playing at Bruce Purser would be an inconvenience to ECE, however it obviously would be to the Swans.

By AFL I was really thinking more Sydney AFL/AFL NSW than Andy D.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Is the playing strip of ECE the same as for their West Coast equivalents?

If the fan behaviour is the same, going "west" to play at ECE home ground would be an experience for the rookies!

Senior Player
    Full team list for tomorrow:

Daniel Currie
    Trent Dennis- Lane
    Nathan Gordon
    Ben Haren
    Alex Johnson
    Lewis Johnston
    Eugene Kruger
    Jed Lamb
    Brett Meredith
    Chris McKaigue
    Dylan McNeil
    Max Otten
    Luke Parker
    Mike Pyke
    Sam Reid
    Jesse White
    James Brain*
    Blake Guthrie*
    Nathan Kenny*
    Jack Lynch*
    Kane Murphy*
    Jackson Potter*
    Mitch Thompson*
    Tim Wales*

*QBE Sydney Swans Academy players

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Full team list for tomorrow:
    James Brain*
    Blake Guthrie*
    Nathan Kenny*
    Jack Lynch*
    Kane Murphy*
    Jackson Potter*
    Mitch Thompson*
    Tim Wales*

*QBE Sydney Swans Academy players
    I think Brain was a scholarship player with another club (Saints, maybe?) who was eligible to be listed last year but was passed over. Interesting that he's now been absorbed into the Academy.

Was kinda hoping we might get to see Jack Jnr. Maybe he'll make an appearance later in the season.

Will be interesting to see White, Johnston and Reid all take the field - arguably they are fighting it out for one tall forward spot at the moment, not just this week but as the season progresses.

Interesting that we've nabbed Kane Murphy to the Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think Brain was a scholarship player with another club (Saints, maybe?) who was eligible to be listed last year but was passed over. Interesting that he's now been absorbed into the Academy.

Was kinda hoping we might get to see Jack Jnr. Maybe he'll make an appearance later in the season.

Will be interesting to see White, Johnston and Reid all take the field - arguably they are fighting it out for one tall forward spot at the moment, not just this week but as the season progresses.
    Brain was a scholarship player with the Lions.
    EDIT: Wales was a scholarship player with the Cats and of course Murphy was Saints'

Veterans List
    Wish I was there to check out the fringe players in particular. Look forward to your report Ugg, guys like Otten in particular.

The Academy is provng to be useful already allowing us to legally try players who will then be bound to us if we choose. Great that they are using them as toppies, which I assume they may do for the ressies all season?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Wish I was there to check out the fringe players in particular. Look forward to your report Ugg, guys like Otten in particular.

The Academy is provng to be useful already allowing us to legally try players who will then be bound to us if we choose. Great that they are using them as toppies, which I assume they may do for the ressies all season?
    Scholarship players have been used as toppies for the last couple of seasons, which provides a bit of continuity for the team. The Academy means that there should be a greater pool of 17 and 18 year olds (and by the sounds of it, some 19 year olds too) to pick from, so there should be less need to use SFL and ACT players. Hopefully they will continue to leave the door open for the next Eugene to stake a claim, but the ACT players will hopefully be left entirely to GWS to use as top ups given that the region is now zoned exclusively to the Giants. The quality of some of the players provided by the ACT clubs as top-ups has been very dubious at times.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast