Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Teams: Sydney v Essendon

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I really hope they don't repeat the ruckman=sub thing again, but I too fear they may. And if they do play Mummy & Pike I suspect they'll drop Jesse, for fear of being top heavy.

But I think there may be another either all question.

If, as seems possible, Bird will be included to try to reverse the contested footy problem.
    Is that a solution?
    They pulled Jude out of the midfield partly because the Demons made him look VERY slow, could that have adversely affect our ability in tight?
    And is Craig a whole lot quicker than Jude? Will either of them he be able to keep up with Essendon's speedsters?
    Can we afford to include the pair of them?
    If Bird is played then it won't be a tall as substitute. I'm guessing they'll go back to the Mummy/Pyke ruck combo and use Mummy's aggression and Pyke's speed when not rucking.

I love the uncertainty of new coach and newish players. Every Monday we can argue how much better we would have gone if Horse and the gang had listened to us. Sumner played well in the NAB but didn't seem ready for the main game. But the same could be said of Rohan. I think Melbourne are better than many think - and may be better than the Bombers. But I think it's Sydney isolation that the players always seem surprised in R1. On the other hand, they'll really be pumped for this one against the reigning NAB champs playing good defensive footy so I expect a lot more contest instead of a speed shootout.

Let's really really take it to the Bombers with their god-given right to success under the reign of the Golden Boy and let's give their percentage a setback as we soar. See you on Sunday!!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueswan View Post
    mummy's second role can be tagging watson and letting him know that every time he gets the ball mummy will be the one tackling him.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Leigh Tudor's match preview doesn't mention the subs at all but reminds that last week we got smashed in contested possessions and made quite a few ineffective tackles.

Our midfield leaders need to step up:
    Our midfield is obviously different this year without Brett Kirk, and we still need to get better at our communication and organisation. There were a couple of times there where our set ups weren?t right. Josh Kennedy has really stood up with his leadership in the middle but it?s an area where we can improve.

The Game Plan ? Swans need midfield muscle - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    His courage is undenialable, his goalkicking is generally good but his clangers are unbearably bad. If he plays, and I am sure he will as he is listed, I hope he plays in the forward line where his clangers will not be as costly as down back.
    AMEN !! thought it was my post coz its exactly what I think too. I have lost count of the number of clangers that lead to opposition goals. Then we lose by a small margin.It looks like the selectors think he is still worth playing in defence so more of the same.Its like starting the game 2 goals down.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    AMEN !! thought it was my post coz its exactly what I think too. I have lost count of the number of clangers that lead to opposition goals...
    Are you sure? We all have our favourite whipping boys (not sure who mine is at the moment but it could be Rohan if he keeps playing like last week) but according to this he only had two clangers on the weekend and I am pretty sure they both didn't lead to goals.
    He was also well down on the list last year with an average of 1.1 clangers/game. There were 28 Swans who had a higher average.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    On the other hand, they'll really be pumped for this one against the reigning NAB champs playing good defensive footy so I expect a lot more contest instead of a speed shootout.
    If we're pumped to play Collingwood, we should definitely get over the line against Essendon.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    AMEN !! thought it was my post coz its exactly what I think too. I have lost count of the number of clangers that lead to opposition goals. Then we lose by a small margin.It looks like the selectors think he is still worth playing in defence so more of the same.Its like starting the game 2 goals down.
    I don't have the benefit of a reply to check but my alcohol befuddled brain seems to remember
    1.A handball backwards to nobody that led to a turnover (not sure if a goal came from that)
    2. A taking an adtvantage play on when surrounded by Melbourne players..pretty sure a goal came from this!
    3. A Crude tackle on Green from which he kicked a goal.

His forward play on the other hand was good I thought,missed one but so does everybody. He presented well.

Goes up to 11
    I blame Bevo for the Japanese earthquake and the GFC

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I blame Bevo for the Japanese earthquake and the GFC
    But not Christchurch?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    If we're pumped to play Collingwood, we should definitely get over the line against Essendon.
    oops, from the hype I now recall that as Saint Jim winning that one too. Do you mean he's lost a GF as coach and he's still the greatest coach that ever breathed. This week I'm reading they are Top 4. Incidentally, are the Swans still in the AFL - the lack of coverage about them at the start of this year is breathtaking? I can't imagine any other team could finish 2010 in 5th and be completely dismissed in 2011.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Longmire surprises all again! Don't think anyone picked this bench

I/C: White Meredith Bird Rohan
    Emg: Pyke Sumner Parker

In: Meredith Bird
    Out: Seaby Sumner

Veteran Site Admin
    According to AFL.com.au, Sumner, Pyke and Parker are the emergencies, meaning that Meredith and Bird come into the team. However, it is not clear if the final squad has actually been announced or if this is just because their format can't cope with the extended bench of 7. After comments last week about a query over Mumford's match fitness, surely we're not going into a game against Hille and Ryder with just White as his back-up????

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast