Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sydney Swans Reserves v GWS Giants

Thank you so much for your reports on the resssies. They are very much appreciated although my garden resents the time I spend reading them as does the dog who wants a walk.

The BIG news from yesterday was at my hockey match. We got our new playing tops and I got number 14...........RESPECT
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by desredandwhite View Post
    I really only saw the second half, but my general thoughts:

- The real difference between the teams was that we had that core group of 6-8 guys who had (in some cases extensive) senior AFL experience. They kept the kids steady and provided that hardness and focus that the underage players wouldn't have by themselves.
    Don't think we have as many as 6-8. Seaby and Kennelly obviously have loads of senior experience, Pyke has enough that he plays like a senior player, and Sumner has a grand total of one senior game. Have I forgotten about others?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Don't think we have as many as 6-8. Seaby and Kennelly obviously have loads of senior experience, Pyke has enough that he plays like a senior player, and Sumner has a grand total of one senior game. Have I forgotten about others?
    And your point Liz? You seem to have forgotten to quote on the rest of Des' comments.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Hmmm you may well be right. Perhaps since I've seen a number of them for a couple of years already, I assume they have experience, even if they've not debuted at senior AFL level. In any case, a number of them - LJ, Currie, Sumner, McKaigue - have experience at senior Canberra league level, playing against bigger bodies, which most of the GWS kids wouldn't have had.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    Thank you so much for your reports on the resssies. They are very much appreciated although my garden resents the time I spend reading them as does the dog who wants a walk.

The BIG news from yesterday was at my hockey match. We got our new playing tops and I got number 14...........RESPECT
    You PLAY sport!!! That's really disrespectful to us watchers!!! Mind you, 14......
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    And your point Liz? You seem to have forgotten to quote on the rest of Des' comments.
    Because I only wanted to address one specific observation. Your point?

ugg, I saw 2 definite spits from Chris, and to the credit of the rest of them they kind of looked off into the distance and ignored him. He was mainly going off when he wasn't given the ball like he was demanding them to. (Mind you I don't blame them, his disposal is not up to standard) He is probably desparate to prove himself, but it was not the way to go about it. He isn't that good, and they know it. IMO. Don't shoot me. But I do watch body language (you can normally tell when they get a new girlfriend) and there was not much cuddling going on here.

I like LJ. He has a Dale Lewis persona which may annoy some, he looks a bit laconic, but he continually watches the play and he generally gets into the right spot without wasting energy. The last player I noted particularly in the past who did this was one Ryan O'Keefe as a kiddie. (However he moved back and forth in the goal square like a caged lion wearing out his opposition even in ressies.)

The same with Alex Johnson. He is a talker too. If they had played Luke Parker you would have seen a real organiser in action. I have found the useful talkers in the ressies usually play seniors. NicMal was a great yap and organiser. Then again Keiran just got in and did, not much talk at all. And I don't believe Bevo has ever said a word - ever. Nor LRT.

Jesse was quiet, and came across as actually quite shy. He played better when he was having fun. I sometimes think he was so solid of body he was aware from the getgo that he had to potential to do some physical damage to his opponent which is not his natural mental state. A big of mongrel is only just starting to emerge

Took to Smooch from the beginning. He would play with a smile on his face all the time. Just a kid having fun. Almost sorry to see the concentration instead, but to our advantage of course.

Ah, that will do. I should be doing housework.....or watching the replay.....decisions decisions.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Ah, that will do. I should be doing housework.....or watching the replay.....decisions decisions.
    Hmmm tough one Primmy..... maybe you could polish the tele....

Because I only wanted to address one specific observation. Your point?
    Liz as a moderator on this forum, you really should do better than that.

My point ? Is that I have a life outside of football and still understood what Des was writing about. To put simply, that you can't compare kids on the GWS list to the Swans ressies. They have been playing and training at a superior level for years with players from the seniors list.

I hope that clears my point up for you.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Veteran Site Admin
    Liz as a moderator on this forum, you really should do better than that.

My point ? Is that I have a life outside of football and still understood what Des was writing about. To put simply, that you can't compare kids on the GWS list to the Swans ressies. They have been playing and training at a superior level for years with players from the seniors list.

I hope that clears my point up for you.
    It might elaborate on the point that Des was making - not really your point. My point was that I thought Des was overplaying how much senior experience we have in our team. Yes, we should be better than they are - and we were, by heaps. And yes, even just a couple of experienced AFL players, especially as experienced as Seaby and Kennelly should be expected to make a huge difference. But other than the three (four if you include one-game Sumner), only Currie has really had substantial time on the list. Johnston is really only in his second season, given the injuries he has had, McNeil and Gordon in their second seasons, McKaigue also in his second but coming from a long way back. The rest are either as raw as GWS 18yos or toppies.

I was also pointing out that we don't have a huge amount of depth currently in our reserves team - because our depth is effectively playing seniors at the moment, such is our injury list. A lot of comments have been made in the media about other teams' injury lists, particularly Freo and North. But ours is being glossed over. Sure, they might point to Bradshaw and B2 and suggest we should have expected not to get much out of them. But the combination of also missing Kennelly, Malceski, Moore, TDL and LRT, as well as "depth players" such as Heath and Spangher isn't insignificant.

Finally, me being a moderator doesn't, and shouldn't preclude me from participating in discussions on here, debating other's views, putting my opinions forward and having them debated in turn. I post on exactly the same footing as anyone else, as do all the other moderators.

Veterans List
    Great to meet you today. For those that haven't met Ugg, he is not a computer but is a real person.

When I arrived early this morning, I saw a man typing feverishly on his phone. I thought to myself "I wonder if that is Ugg?" - I later found out it was.
    Funny enough, I did exactly the same thing last year...I thought to myself it was either Ugg or a misguided terrorist.

Veterans List
    You've missed the point on why they recruited Folau. He's laughing stock today. He, like Hunt are professional athletes and they will make it. If Mike Pyke can then these two are far superior non AFL athletes to Mike.
    On most AFL KPIs it's simply not true to say that Folau and Hunt are far superior to Pyke. It's fair to expect he will become a much better AFL player than they will ever be. For a start: tall - yes, fast - yes, clever - yes, good learner - yes. Most of all: guts - yes. While the the NRL two were offer a swag full of money and didn't have to move far, Mike uprooted himself and moved halfway across the world to see if he could make it in a sport he'd never played. That's heroic. And from what Roos was saying last night, he's still being treated as a project player on course to replicate Tadhg's development - and hopefully he'll do a Tadhg and shift from an Irish/Canadian joke into one of our most influential players. I'd say that's the definition of a dedicated professional athlete.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast