Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ANZ Stadium vs SCG

ANZ Stadium vs SCG

28,082. Sydney v Essendon on a beautiful autumn day.

The people are voting with their feet. The numbers continue to drop, year after year.

ANZ Stadium is not a proper footy venue, nor is it our spiritual home. Worst of all, our beloved Swannies lose a good chunk of their home ground advantage when playing there. For 85% of the game today i thought i was at the cinema, such was the lack of atmosphere.

I realise that this is not really an issue that falls under your jurisdiction. But please, for the love of God - Let Mr. Colless and Co. know that the overwhelming majority do not want to watch the Swans at ANZ anymore!!
    Sydney Swans - Finals bound in 2011

Blood, contractual agreements are locked in mate. I'd say with GWS coming in though next year (and I think our ANZ contract finishes this year) then back to the SCG for 11 home games it is.
    Swannies for life!

Couldn't agree more Blood!

Never liked the joint and can count on one hand the people I know that like going there.

Get back to the SCG where we belong.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Blood, contractual agreements are locked in mate. I'd say with GWS coming in though next year (and I think our ANZ contract finishes this year) then back to the SCG for 11 home games it is.
    Really hope you're right Matt. Imagine playing Collingwood at a packed SCG.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Watching the game on the TV I couldn't believe that state of the turf on certain sections of the ground. To those who were at the game was the turf as bad as it looked on TV?

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Watching the game on the TV I couldn't believe that state of the turf on certain sections of the ground. To those who were at the game was the turf as bad as it looked on TV?
    Actually, the turf probably looks better under lights. The horror can't hide from daylight. Note LOOKS better. Plays just as awfully. Today was no worse than in the past, and remember this ground has had trouble from the AFL before regarding it's fitness for the elite competition.

And I agree, Blood. I will say that I have fond memories of 2003, when 72,000 showed up to watch the game v Collingwood, but it's no secret that crowds have to match the grounds they are in. 28,000 (or even 35,000 or 40,000) at ANZ is just horrible, especially compared to what that would be at the SCG.
    10100111001 ;-)

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't mind Homebush for night games, day games I don't really enjoy there. I still think it has its place for 2/3 games a year, but I don't think early in the season is the right time.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I don't mind Homebush for night games, day games I don't really enjoy there. I still think it has its place for 2/3 games a year, but I don't think early in the season is the right time.
    I'm with you stellation. Prefer night games at Homebush and don't mind the place for 3 games a season.

Atmosphere was great in the last quarter and those that didn't attend our home game because it was at Homebush missed another fantastic game and victory. Oh and I love the facilities at Homebush compared to the SCG. Not impressed with XXXX Gold beer at the bars though. Good to see Swans members get discounts on food and beer too when you show your Club Swans card.

Also I very much doubt we would have got a bigger crowd at the SCG. Would have been lucky to get 23,000 odd at the SCG. You raise another good point stellation about games being scheduled at Homebush so early in the season. Don't think that is such a good idea in future.

Goes up to 11
    Since the powers that be have decided that western Sydney should have their own team, there is no way we should play out there after this year.

I'm sure our contract runs much longer than next year??

Veteran Site Admin
    I think the scheduling of early season games at Homebush is largely driven by non-availability of the SCG. I recall our first home game of 2005 being at the SCG (beautiful thrashing of the Hawks), but haven't all our first home games since been at Homebush?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Since the powers that be have decided that western Sydney should have their own team, there is no way we should play out there after this year.
    I daresay if the Swans were to adopt an attitude along those lines then they certainly could risk losing a large percentage of members from western Sydney. Not suggesting at all that the majority of Sydney members aren't hugging the coast line, but when you think of a total of around 28k members with (I believe) that including a chunk of folks in Melbourne the Swans have to be careful how they tread with GWS coming in.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast