Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 2: Eastlake Demons v Sydney Swans Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Reserves 12.11.83
    Eastlake. 4.9.33

Fulltime.

Just saw Sumner throw the best 1 inch punch ever on a footy field. It was a well deserved thing of beauty.
    Allegidly Al!!! Allegidly!!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Just saw Sumner throw the best 1 inch punch ever on a footy field. It was a well deserved thing of beauty.
    That was hilarious. Wasn't even a proper punch, just an open handed shove to the face after the Eastlake bastard was trying to get into him. Combine that with the "kick-water-in-the-face-of-opposition-while-standing-the-mark" manoeuvre that he tried last year makes him really entertaining to watch,

Anyway, C&P from my post on the "other site".

Seaby: Good with the hitouts as you'd expect, but didn't do much around the ground. You'd really expect him to dominate at this level, but he didn't. Serviceable, one of our better players even, but pretty disappointing given his experience and ability.
    Meredith: Like Seaby, solid contribution, but really should be dominating at this level. His skills always stand out, but he just wasn't involved enough. I am getting quite concerned he'll never make it.
    TDL: Pretty good return. Limited time on ground, but kicked a few goals (3 I think), and moved up the ground well. Didn't demand selection, but if he backs it up next week with a similar performance for a bit more TOG, he should come into consideration.
    Currie: Looked more confident than he did earlier in the year, but still isn't dominating. He just hasn't developed physically. Took some nice grabs, kicked a goal, was perfectly serviceable, but once again showed nothing to suggest he'll make it an senior level, unfortunately.
    Lamb: Really struggled to impose himself. Started forward quite anonymously, before moving into the midfield half way through the second quarter, where he seemed to spend the rest of the game. Had some nice touches, and tackled and contested quite aggressively which was good to see, but still pretty disappointing.
    Kennelly: Got to be honest, I thought he was rubbish. Fumbled and bumbled around, not much run, didn't use the ball well, and was fairly ordinary defensively. Of course, I'm marking him harshly because of his experience, but I really expected better from him. Wouldn't have him in next week on that performance, to be honest.
    Sumner: Drifted in and out of the game a bit, but had some really nice moments. Played everywhere, spending time in defence, on the wing and in the forwardline. Dropped an Eastlake player who tried to rough him up, which was HILARIOUS (all the more so because of the reaction from Eastlake fans). This guy was trying to get the shoulder into him off the ball and after a couple of times Sumner just pushed him away with his hands. Eastlake player fell like a bag of bricks. Anyway, back to his performance, sometimes he isn't smart enough, takes on too much, but this is hopefully something he'll improve upon. Still like him a lot, but didn't demand selection.
    Johnston: Spent the entire game at CHB. First half he got outbodied a couple of times and wasn't that involved, but really stepped up in the second half, cutting off numerous Eastlake attacks, reading the play really well, getting front position, taking marks, spoiling, etc. Showed glimpses of being a really good CHB in the future, if he's persevered with there.
    Parker: Not as dominant as he has been in other games, and was especially quiet in the first quarter, but came into it and had some really good touches in close. I like him.
    McNeil: Like Parker, quiet in the first quarter, but really came into it from then on. Had heaps of clearances. Probably BOG in the end.
    Moore: Like Kennelly, disappointing. Didn't find a whole lot of ball, and his ball use was up and down. That said, he was very vocal and involved from that perspective, as you'd expect. Didn't demand selection.
    McKaigue: A bit anonymous, though solid in defence, and he had a couple of good runs. He really seems to have hit a plateau though. If I had to put my house on it, I'd say he won't make it.
    Kruger: I'm a fan, but he was completely anonymous today. Did very little. Won't be happy with that game, given his form in previous weeks has been very promising.
    Otten: I'm not a fan, to be honest. He's OK, but he's not involved nor skilled enough to be a rebounder, not defensive enough to be a small defender, not big enough to be a key defender. Took a good grab that I remember, but other than that did very little.
    Gordon: Always puts in a 100% effort, but he's just not skilled nor smart enough I don't think. He's a step above NEAFL, but I just can't see him making it at AFL level.
    Haren: A bit quiet, didn't really take many big grabs like we know he can, but he's a surprisingly skilled player. Snapped a really good goal at one stage which was very convincing. Lacks a bit in athleticism, but has all the skills. No guarantee he'll make it, but he'll be very interesting to watch develop.

Toppies/Academy Players:

May: Kept losing his feet, didn't read the play well, couldn't impose himself. Can't see him making it.
    Potter: Noticed him early, but seemed to fade as the game went on. Nice looking player, but outshone by other toppies today,
    Guthrie: First time I've been really impressed with Guthrie. While he started a little bit slowly, he really came into it from the 2nd quarter onwards. Pretty sure he kicked at least 2 goals, and found plenty of the ball. Looked really classy and comfortable out there, and his skills were good. Could be a player.
    Brain: Really like this player. He has impressed me every time I've seen him. He has a real go, he's composed, he's clever and he's skilled. Didn't dominate, you wouldn't expect a toppy to, but he definitely contributed.
    Lynch: Played as a key defender, and was pretty useful. Didn't like what I saw last year, but has really come on this year. Showed some great agility at ground level a couple of times too. Wouldn't be at all surprised if we rookied him.
    Murphy: I want him on our list. One of our best players, arguably second best behind McNeil. Found plenty of the ball, put his body on the line time after time, bobbed up for a few goals, used the ball really well, and also showed some aerial skills which help ease doubts about his height. I've seen him show flashes of this stuff before this game, but this was the first time he really put it all together for a full game, and it was great to watch. He can take a hit too.
    Wales: Quiet as a mouse. Has been very useful as a toppy previously, but did nothing today.
    Strudwick: Did nothing in the first half, but worked his way into it in the second half, playing in defence. Spent a LOT of time on the bench, I'd be surprised if he got more than 33% TOG, but had some nice touches.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks Big Al and BSA5 - much appreciated. The thought of Uncle as an enforcer had me chuckling into my keyboard. Also liked the idea of Crouchy giving the mids a spray - sounds like it did the trick. It seems players are not the only resources we are nurturing.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Results are up

Match Results

Sydney Swans

Goal Kickers: T. DENNIS-LANE 3, B. GUTHRIE 2, K. MURPHY 2, B. HAREN 2, D. CURRIE , B. SUMNER , J. MOORE
    Best Players: K. MURPHY, N. GORDON, D. MCNEIL, B. SUMNER, C. MCKAIGUE, D. CURRIE

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Results are up

Match Results

Sydney Swans

Goal Kickers: T. DENNIS-LANE 3, B. GUTHRIE 2, K. MURPHY 2, B. HAREN 2, D. CURRIE , B. SUMNER , J. MOORE
    Best Players: K. MURPHY, N. GORDON, D. MCNEIL, B. SUMNER, C. MCKAIGUE, D. CURRIE
    Interesting. High praise as usual for McKaigue, but once again it's difficult to see why. Johnston was much better in defence. Currie's tapwork was good, so that probably got him in. Didn't notice Gordon much at all. Good to see Murphy recognised for the great game he had.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Great summary BSA5.

It was an enjoyable day at the footy.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Queanbeyan smashed Belconnen by 123 points in the later match. Belco are scheduled to face the reserves next week from this result and the match we played against them earlier in the pre-season, they don't seem to be a powerhouse of the competition any more. It could be quite a smashing on Saturday arvo.

Good to hear the assessment of Johnston as CHB....especially as he is a good kick..could be an avenue for greating play.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Great coverage, Al. You covered all the highlights.

Thanks BSA5 for the analysis. I feel the same about Meredith too. Sounds like it's time to book a ride on the Kane Murphy bandwagon.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Great reports and feedback all-round guys.
    Little Murph's work rate was fantastic and his disregard for his body, ie: putting it over the grenade and in-front of bigger opposition juggernauts when he had to, was fantastic.
    McKaigue, although mentioned in bests must do the same! On at least 3 occasions when he needed to put his melon over the pigskin, he hesitated, opting to tackle the opposition once they had control instead. Lamb likewise.
    Thought Brain was solid also, taking some big hits and soldiering on. TDL read the play super well today with good marks, and IMO jury still out on Otten, Haren, Lamb, & May.
    Seaby may not be at his best but certainly didn't spend tooooo much time on the bench, if at all. Worked hard all game! Bulldog Moore blowing hard when he came to the boundary, couple weeks away I reckon.
    With the senior players currently in this side plus who-ever gets dropped when another gets elevated - together with the really sound depth in toppies/academy players off the bench, looks like a really tantalising season in the NEAFL.

Playing Eastlake in Canberra, two things stand out in my mind.

First, that idiot Eastlake supporter who harangues constantly at the top of his voice on and on and on. Poor dumb twit doesn't realise that 1) it helps our boys to be exposed to that so they can learn to deal with such people with dignity and equanimity and 2) it upsets the Eastlake players - even one of the Eastlake runners went over to ask him to quieten down. (So did one of ours.) He choses one of the Swans players each game and hurls vitriol at that player. Last year Thornton copped it.

Second, Eastlake are pretty handy with the fists and high tackles when they think no-one is looking. They back off quick smart when they realise that one of the cameras with a big lens is recording it all, but don't seem too worried about the umpires seeing what they are doing. Wish I had taken my big lens...

TDL is a much tougher player than he looks; punched in the guts, tackled around the neck, just jumped up and kept playing.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast