Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Game Analysis against Cats / reality check

Very simple analysis - we played great in all aspects of the game except kicking and marking.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post

Bas and I were like 2 naughty schoolboys. The flurry of texts flying between the NA Noble and Brewongle were hilarious.
    How could you tell she was Dutch from the other side of the SCG???

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Matimbo View Post
    How could you tell she was Dutch from the other side of the SCG???
    Seeing double?

I thought McVeigh was dreadful.. His disposal were very poor.. Same with ROK.. He fights hard yet when he wins the ball just kicks in hope.. The player I would drop though is Jetta.. He brings very little to the side.. I wonder how TDL would go on the wing ? 50/50 time between there and the forward line..

very strange game plan

ie looked like we wone the clearances and tackle count but we tended to kick blind and forward ????.......our guys are good enough to go backwards or sideways before just kicking downfield

i liked our midfield intensity and we looked very good in the midfield for large parts of the game but it became obvious to everyone we were kicking immediately forward from the contest and Scarlett just sat in the hole all night

I didnt like Goodes not being a target up front for half of the game as per recent weeks - I know it was wet conditions but at the end of the days the Pod worked as a very good target

I do feel a little cheated that 3 of their goals came from 70m kicks over the back of everyone

overall exciting potential and a full season for Reid, AJ and a fair few others will have us at a totally different level of experience...........Is there many other CHF and or HBF that have only played a few games and 18yrs of age ??? these guys will grow tremendously !!!

i) I was happy Hannes played tight tonight and not open for disposals as his decision making last few weeks has sucked a bit like Rok's and others need to be wider then him right now

ii) Smithy played well

iii) Mummy was awesome and can do a whole game on his ear just like Old man ottens did too

iv) McGlynn and Jack playing more open has looked great IMHO

PS - they are a class side with an exceptionally classy backline

Still our skills are below our best and maybe that has to do with such high focus on the contest and our defence which is the right foundation for the season anyway but the game plan of kick forward on a blind kick just pissed me off...............I realise that it was all about field position in the wet but Geelong countered that with guys in defence playing in the gap
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer_Cheer View Post
    I thought McVeigh was dreadful.. His disposal were very poor.. Same with ROK.. He fights hard yet when he wins the ball just kicks in hope.. The player I would drop though is Jetta.. He brings very little to the side.. I wonder how TDL would go on the wing ? 50/50 time between there and the forward line..
    McVeigh doesn't like trying to win the hard ball and when he kicks he pokes it about 20 metres without purpose. I would rather see him play permanent HFF as he can read the play off the packs. As it is he usually leads to tight spots on the ground and stands there for an eternity after a mark, ala the 2010 Semi in the dying moments.

Regular in the Side
    It is a simple assessment.

The Swans are a good team, and will easily play in Finals in 2011.

However, with Geelong ,although they are getting on a bit, and miss Ablett JR, there were at least 12 All Australians players out there in Cats colours. These guys, particularly Chapman, Wojcinski, Scarlett, Kelly and Ling, showed the big game experience and quality to lift in tough, wet conditions. That's experience for you. And their new coach, Chris Scott represents a plus, not a minus, ejecting freshness and unity into their camp.

There is still a lot of inexperience in the Swans, particularly taking into account the wet conditions. The absence of Bradshaw, Malceski, Kennelly, (perhaps he should have played?), and LRT showed. Further, Sydney had just gone through three tough games, including travelling from Perth the week before. They will look forward to the Bye. On the other hand, Geelong had just had an easy home venture against Port.

Finally, the difference was only 4 goals, bearing in mind that two of the Cats' goals came from free kicks.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    It is a simple assessment.

The Swans are a good team, and will easily play in Finals in 2011.

However, with Geelong ,although they are getting on a bit, and miss Ablett JR, there were at least 12 All Australians players out there in Cats colours. These guys, particularly Chapman, Wojcinski, Scarlett, Kelly and Ling, showed the big game experience and quality to lift in tough, wet conditions. That's experience for you. And their new coach, Chris Scott represents a plus, not a minus, ejecting freshness and unity into their camp.

There is still a lot of inexperience in the Swans, particularly taking into account the wet conditions. The absence of Bradshaw, Malceski, Kennelly, (perhaps he should have played?), and LRT showed. Further, Sydney had just gone through three tough games, including travelling from Perth the week before. They will look forward to the Bye. On the other hand, Geelong had just had an easy home venture against Port.

Finally, the difference was only 4 goals, bearing in mind that two of the Cats' goals came from free kicks.
    On making the 8; have a close look at our draw. We needed to win that game last night.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    On making the 8; have a close look at our draw. We needed to win that game last night.
    If we'd only make the eight by beating the Cats in soaking conditions in R4 we won't be playing finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    i think this was one of the tougher games in the draw. I dont think we adapt when its wet at all and geelong are the masters of it. They were a class above last night, chapman even know it was raining? he is a gun.
    Theres not much left to say

Veterans List
    Came home last night very disappointed. But in the cold light of day and the odd glimmer of sunshine I'm now feeling pretty comfortable with where we are at. The Cats may not be as good as they were but they are still a very good team and have a lot of experienced hard bodies in there - and it showed. But we matched it with them until we gave up just before the end. And that was despite a lot of poor kicking (again) and a lot of players sticking to a dry weather game plan. It will certainly stop the team from getting ahead of themselves. One loss after four rounds is better than we had a right to expect at the start of the year. And that to the Cats. I agree that we need to bring in some from the ressies - Pyke deserves to come in and Mummy needs some support, Tadhg will fix the run out of defence - a problem tonight and Moore will marshall our misfunctioning forward line.

What we need now is a convincing win. Hopefully that will be against the Blues. After some very hard games, played hard, I think the bye has come at the right time for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Came home last night very disappointed. But in the cold light of day and the odd glimmer of sunshine I'm now feeling pretty comfortable with where we are at. The Cats may not be as good as they were but they are still a very good team and have a lot of experienced hard bodies in there - and it showed. But we matched it with them until we gave up just before the end. And that was despite a lot of poor kicking (again) and a lot of players sticking to a dry weather game plan. It will certainly stop the team from getting ahead of themselves. One loss after four rounds is better than we had a right to expect at the start of the year. And that to the Cats. I agree that we need to bring in some from the ressies - Pyke deserves to come in and Mummy needs some support, Tadhg will fix the run out of defence - a problem tonight and Moore will marshall our misfunctioning forward line.

What we need now is a convincing win. Hopefully that will be against the Blues. After some very hard games, played hard, I think the bye has come at the right time for us.
    i agree with your sentiments, i find the frustrating part about losing last night is it continues a streak of bad form against the real top sides, you think we would of had the odd win over teams like pies, cats and saints over the last few seasons.
    Theres not much left to say

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast