Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Post Game Analysis against Cats / reality check

I wouldnt worry to much about that game.

In the conditions, it suited the stronger bodies and more experience of Geelong. And backing up from a perth game is hard for everyone.

In hindsight we should have play Kennelly and Moore, but longer term we did the right thing.

The next 3 or 4 rounds after easter will give us a better gauge of where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    We are a pretty ordinary team with AWFUL ball skills...we were carried away with not very much (if I was an Essendon supporter I would have been blaming the umpire)...not impressed with the job or pro activity of the coaching at this early stage...Everitt is basically ordinary & has no place near a back line.
    What would you have the Coaching staff do differently??

For starters we are a rebuilding with a lot of inexperienced players in the side but even then I wouldn't categorize us "pretty ordinary" and I certainly wouldn't shout awful ball skill even though some of our disposal does need improving. Experience at this level will correct that.

Not impressed with Everitt in defense and will struggle to hold a place when LRT and Tadgh are ready to come back.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Regular in the Side
    It's a good thing to remain calm...but the ball skills thing seems more ingrained than something they can patch up quickly...we got away with it for 3 weeks.

I'm afraid I'm reading Longmire as a little too passive.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

In hindsight we should have play Kennelly and Moore, but longer term we did the right thing.

The next 3 or 4 rounds after easter will give us a better gauge of where we are.
    Those 2 weren't ready to come back. Both struggled in the Ressies the week before so I wasn't surprised they were given another week.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Floors yours Gary... Put your coaches hat on and tell us what Horse should be doing differently.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    DLBIA14 I agree with you that we did butcher the ball for three quarters, but if THE POD had taken his chances the result would have been the same.

Sorry, but they were better than us and I am not a fan of the divers from Sleepy Hollow who love to help umpires make decisions

in the first half we had Bevan on Scarlett. Seemed a good match up as Bevan is our defensive forward. I'm not sure if Bevan got moved, or just stopped manning up after that ?

So it has been said that the Swans had 11 players with less than 50 games. Lets have a look at this in more detail:

Backs

Paul Bevan - 125 games
    Ted Richards - 136
    Martin Mattner - 171
    Rhyce Shaw - 142
    Heath Grundy - 73
    Alex Johnson - 2

Centres

Ben McGlynn - 61
    Kieren Jack - 74
    Nicholas Smith - 32

Half forward

Jude Bolton - 260
    Sam Reid - 4
    Adam Goodes - 279

Forwards

Ryan O'Keefe - 212
    Jesse White - 43
    Josh P. Kennedy - 40-

Rucks

Shane Mumford - 45
    Craig Bird - 43
    Jarrad McVeigh - 150

Interchange

Daniel Hannebery - 31
    Gary Rohan - 12
    Lewis Jetta - 23
    Andrejs Everitt - 39

Apart from A Johnson who I credited 2 games, didn't check whether he played Rd 1. I gave all others 3 games credit from end of last years stats. We had the following break down:-

0 to 50 games - 11 players
    51 to 100 games - 3 players
    101 to 150 games - 4 players
    151 to 200 games - 1 player
    201 plus games - 3 players

So there was plenty of experience in the back line on Saturday night. So it was fairly balanced in terms of the starting line up but the experience really dropped away with the interchange but then 3 out of 4 interchange were midfielders.

At least we wont be called an aging team anymore with this ratio.
    Last edited by Bas; 18th April 2011 at 11:01 PM.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Johnson debuted against Weagles so only on 2 games.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think Kennedy, Mumford and Smith need to be excluded from any assessment of whether inexperience was a factor. Yes, they all have played under 50 games but none of them still plays like it, and they all have reasonably seasoned bodies now. Certainly the other 8 are still feeling their way at senior level, albeit to different extents.

The most surprising thing for me is that Kennedy and Smith haven't played 50 games. They seem like veterans out there!

Snap, liz.

It's a good thing to remain calm...but the ball skills thing seems more ingrained than something they can patch up quickly...we got away with it for 3 weeks.

I think this is not entirely true. Confidence and skills are interconnected. When a player pauses because they don't want to make a mistake they often get pressured or the window of opporutinty for that pass or handball closes. Possibly Longmire's slightly different game plan is not yet engrained in the players so the have to think rather than do.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast