Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Game Analysis against Cats / reality check

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by GoRhino View Post
    ... Jetta looks lost at the moment and I suspect he is not being allowed to play his natural game. A big mistake if that's the case. ...
    I wondered about this, but it wasn't a night for his brand of run and bounce/carry. It looks as if the club wants to give him some experience on the ball, and provided they don't overdo it I think that's a good idea. But as I said above, i would have subbed him off in a straight swap with Rohan.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Haven't had time to read all the posts, but Am I the only one to think that Mumms was monstered at least 5 times?

He was on the receiving end of being buried in the mud at least 5 times by 3 plus cats with head high contact. Why! How did they get away with it? Poor umping I would say but I didn't think the cats were dirty players, but I was wrong.

We had 4 kids who were born in 1991 on the ground. Experience is the issue. It will get better. No flag this year, but I can see good cohesiveness as a group (I am not counting the 4th). Its there, we need Bulldog back to steer the ship (yep, I do believe in his ability to read play way ahead of the action) and Pyke to work with Mumms; they are both capable of playing up forward very well indeed, it could be a major tag team if the PTB are game enough to try.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I wondered about this, but it wasn't a night for his brand of run and bounce/carry. It looks as if the club wants to give him some experience on the ball, and provided they don't overdo it I think that's a good idea. But as I said above, i would have subbed him off in a straight swap with Rohan.
    I'm not sure they will persist. although it may have been worth a try. He is too light framed for the clinches and maybe an outside midfielder at best. I think it may have been a toss up between Jetta and Everitt for the sub's seat but Everitt's body language wasn't good prior to the move.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Haven't had time to read all the posts, but Am I the only one to think that Mumms was monstered at least 5 times?

He was on the receiving end of being buried in the mud at least 5 times by 3 plus cats with head high contact. Why! How did they get away with it? Poor umping I would say but I didn't think the cats were dirty players, but I was wrong.

We had 4 kids who were born in 1991 on the ground. Experience is the issue. It will get better. No flag this year, but I can see good cohesiveness as a group (I am not counting the 4th). Its there, we need Bulldog back to steer the ship (yep, I do believe in his ability to read play way ahead of the action) and Pyke to work with Mumms; they are both capable of playing up forward very well indeed, it could be a major tag team if the PTB are game enough to try.
    Swans on Facebook:

John Longmire is not making excuses but has just pointed out on Ch 9 Footy show that last night we had 11 players who have played less than 50 games, including Kennedy, Mumford, Jetta, Reid, Johnson, Rohan, etc. Says it was a great learning experience for them. Makes the future look bright too

Quote Originally Posted by GoRhino View Post
    I'm not sure they will persist. although it may have been worth a try. He is too light framed for the clinches and maybe an outside midfielder at best. I think it may have been a toss up between Jetta and Everitt for the sub's seat but Everitt's body language wasn't good prior to the move.
    I agree Everitt was looking decidedly lost out there. I think Jetta is a natural winger & that is where he played all his junior footy. If you have a bloke who is faster than a puma why not use him as an outrider to run the ball. The conditions didn't suit most of our lot as we have changed our style due to a lot of younger players but I think a few of our blokes were misused last night. At one stage someone here said bang it up the guts & I agree don't go the flanks in the wet you'll get murdered as it is such a long way home with a slippery ball. Leave a few forward options in the forward line so many times we had no-one there or Ryano or Benny trying to battle 3 cats, WHY? We are a team in redevelopment & I know we all have our favourites but sometimes we have to be sensible & just let go of our prejudices for the good of the team. Change is hard & we all feel it if our fav player is looking like getting the chop or we don't admit it when he needs to. I love Ryano but sometimes I wonder where he goes in the big ones although he does get a lot of treatment against the cats.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Swans on Facebook:

John Longmire is not making excuses but has just pointed out on Ch 9 Footy show that last night we had 11 players who have played less than 50 games, including Kennedy, Mumford, Jetta, Reid, Johnson, Rohan, etc. Says it was a great learning experience for them. Makes the future look bright too
    And the Swans lost in very difficult climatic conditions to a team with 12 All Australian players by four goals. Stay positive Sydney supporters, it will not be long until they are near the top.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Me thinks you have Rose Coloured Glasses...........but good on you anyway

You need to hit your straps in August / September, not April. 10 premiership points and a loss to the Cats is a great return, especially with so many young players getting exposure.

skill errors. we can only get better.

Veterans List
    The reality is that if we don't improve our skills then we haven't much hope as a team. But we've known that since R1 and we have seen each of our players display better skills in the past so all is not lost.
    Reality 2 is that we have two wins, a draw and just a loss against the dominant team of the past few years. That's not a bad return.
    Reality 3 is that we invariably make slow starts - I think it's because we are so far from the main AFL states. This year we haven't.
    Reality 4 is that we have a good mix of young and experienced players on the ground at present, with a lot more talent and experience about to return from injury. And a lot of talent being shown in the reserves.
    Reality 5 is that we are a sixth of the way through the 2011 season. The future is wide open and we are in the mix. All the signs are a lot better than they were in, say 2005.

I don't think this is a rose-coloured view of the world at all.
    Can we win the Premiership this year? Maybe.
    Will we? Probably not.
    Will we win a Premiership with this group of players (less a few retirees) and coaches? Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    And the Swans lost in very difficult climatic conditions to a team with 12 All Australian players by four goals. Stay positive Sydney supporters, it will not be long until they are near the top.
    Oh. Well then. You are messing up our indignation with common sense and a greater grasp of the magnitude of the task than even I, Aunty Primmy, has.

Now what can I whinge about.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Opti-pessi-misti
    My biggest disappointment with this game was the last quarter, for the reasons that have been stated in other posts, but I will add my bit anyway! To be sure the Cats had played better football in most areas in the 2nd and 3rd quarters but there was a time in the last quarter when we were only 7 points behind. Maybe it was the fatigue factor, not only of the players, but the directing from the coaches box was equally bewildering. It seems that there was no confidence that the game was still there to be won - they were only 7 points down!! Possibly the continual skill stuff ups and kicking to the opposition or packs, no forwards in the forward line etc. had already eroded that important belief in each other. For the most part they were still fighting valiantly but with no footy smarts and were just outplayed. Still, I am am not too despondent. It was a tough night.

Yes, please bring Mike Pyke in, also play Jets and Rohan in one position until they 'star' there before they are moved around. Surely that is in the long term interests of the team, if not the short term. What about Hanners, who must be one frustrated young footballer at the moment upset that he not 'starring'. Looks like this year is going to be one of consolidation for him.

Does anyone else think that we are on the edge of playing too many small players? As good and as vital as they are (the ones we have) is our team at a disadvantage size wise - Jack, McGlynn, Moore, Bird as well as several others who are under 182cm? We have some good young talls now (above 190cm) for balance but the middle tier is a bit sparse. Looking ahead, we need another Kennedy-size midfielder or two for when Goodes and ROK hang up their boots.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast