Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Game Analysis against Cats / reality check

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries

Post Game Analysis against Cats / reality check

It,s about time we stopped talking ourselves up and have a closer look at how we play.
    Tonight,s 1st quarter effort was very good in that we turned a deficet into a positive position by utilizing application and good pressure all around the ground.
    After that, we couldn't kick,mark,apply pressure,have any method into the forward line or score!
    Perhaps a large number of our team on the paddock tonight,think they are better than what is reality.
    I can't defend those players that were not having a"red hot" go and i personally believe that we had many recievers waiting for the "easy ball"in the last three quarters.
    Reality is, if you don't score ,you don't win (e.g. Second quarter )
    training for the next fortnight must be on kicking ...to someone in red and white and revisiting how to mark a football.
    Very poor effort tonight and the only way is up.
    I just hope our guys have a look at the old fellas in the geelong side on replay, and see how sart they were and how dumb we were for three quarters.

Warming the Bench
    I agree with pretty much all of what you said we need malcheski back more then anyone for his ability to actually clear the ball out of our backline. When will the coaches learn to get everitt out of the backline he doesnt have the composure to be a good defender. I feel safer with bevo then with everitt. The umpiring was also terrible tonight and i hope that the match review actually watch the tape this weekend and give pods a week or two for his jumping head high bump on mumford.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Agree,agree,agree.............Everitt must never return to the backline and we desperately need our senior backmen back.

There will be some reviews for sure, but the umpiring did not favour the opposition regardless of how confusing it was. Umpiring did not cost us tonight.

Everitt's blunder was unfortunate, cause you could see he didn't want to go to the next player along cause they had nothing to go too, and took to long making a decision. I think that's something that can improve - but I agree, he should have swung forward, and perhaps Reid subbed off.

Post Game Analysis against Cats

No game thread so thought I'd start an official post game thread.

Well, I left after we were 3 goals down in the final quarter so I could beat the traffic. There was no way the Swans would come back against the Cats. They didn't.

The most fun I had tonight was stalking Wardy tonight with a pair of binoculars. She was in the Noble Stand and Big Al and I were in the Brewongle. Wardy, who was that Dutch girl sitting near you ?

Well apart from meeting up with Big Al and stalking Wardy, the rest of the night was abysmal.

We need to drop Everitt, White, ROK on form and Alex Johnson due to inexperience. Can we drop Captain McSpud as well? I'm sure there are others but I can't think of any other really bad standouts.

As much as I'd like to blame the Umpires, in the end, we lost because they played better.
    Last edited by Bas; 17th April 2011 at 12:16 AM.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by BRISWAN View Post
    Agree,agree,agree.............Everitt must never return to the backline and we desperately need our senior backmen back.

There will be some reviews for sure, but the umpiring did not favour the opposition regardless of how confusing it was. Umpiring did not cost us tonight.
    No it didn't but it was still horrible, chapman was auditioning for neighbours and the umpires loved him.

Warming the Bench
    IMO Best: Mcglynn, Richards, Jack, Kennedy and Shaw

Pros: Mcglynn and Richards played awesome and its great to see teddy getting even better as his career moves further.
    Jack showed why he was the best and fairest last year
    Mumford is awesome and shown why he is one of the best ruckman in the league again tonight.
    Shaw was good again tonight and only made a few mistakes.

Cons IMO:
    Goodes shown signs of his greatness but not as much as what he did against west coast.
    Mcveigh was average again.
    Hanneberry may aswell have not played.
    Rohan as sub two weeks in a row didnt pay off
    Everitt can't handle the pressure from being in the backline and his disposals let himself down.

Injury's/Reports:
    Pods should get a week for head high contact on mumford

Veterans List
    Just home and dried off. There was some remarkably heavy rain tonight. Until the last half of the last quarter you can't fault our effort. I saw Ryan in everything but hardly noticed Keren or McV until the last quarter. Yes Mummy can't be asked to be a one man team - and he had to be with Goodes taken out of the game. But we would have been in with a shot if we just had the basic skills. Not much point in working hard if we simply give the ball back. I can't remember the last time I saw the Swans win in a deluge - but I remember some big losses (Richo at the SCG anyone). I guess it just doesn't rain here enough to give us the skills. On the other hand I don't think the Cats noticed the rain. It wasn't just the kicking it was the way they could take clean possession and we rarely could (Teddy being a noteable exception).

Shaw should be dropped (mentioned elsewhere)? I can only guess you weren't within a thousand km of the game? Apart from one really selfish bit of play when he kicked backwards (which should be a hanging offence in the wet) and then called for the ball, stuffed it and bang another Cats goal) he was working harder than at least 15 other Swans tonight. If you were going simply on skills and poise then Reid and Everitt, Johnson and White should be planning a few games in Canberra.

We are building something but right now I don't see us having any more chance again the Pies than we have in the past few years. Yes we can work hard but it must be frustrating to work and work only to see it undone in seconds. Over and over again. On the other hand the Cats look bigger and tougher than us - with skills at a whole different level. Maybe in the dry it would have been a contest. In the wet it wasn't - and it seems the whole Swans team knew it when they stopped 20 minutes before the end of the game. Maybe it will look better if I ever have the energy to watch the replay but at the ground we looked like we wanted it more, so they could taunt us with smarter play and better skills. I wonder if we'll ever have a coach that thinks holding the ball in our forward 50 is a good idea?

They put Everitt into the forwards in the second half and took Jesse off but the rain stopped any repeat of last week.

I think Podsy will be OK from what I saw at the ground but I haven't seen a replay on telly.

Bevan at this rate is screaming up the ranks based on the lack of performance by others.
    Last edited by Bas; 17th April 2011 at 12:44 AM.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Who was talking us up we have been very average so far this season, very lucky against Eagles and the Bombers, we give it our all but nowhere near the better teams with so many good players injured. I didnt expect us to win tonite
    Very light in game times under our belt against a more structured, bigger body and better side. they found that extra time on the ball, took clean marks and made better decisions with ball in hand.

In the ressies tonight we had playing - LRT first half, Kennelly, Moore, Pykey, Seaby, Meredith, TDL that I can remember off the top of my head.

Mike kicked 4 goals. When will L J debut after another poor performance by the firsts tonight?

Good news, listening to The Bounce????? on 2GB and they were interviewing Nick Malceski and he said that he was ahead of his comeback and was due back on the field in 4 weeks. He sounded very positive with the guys interviewing him. They were bagging him why he is always without a shirt in the Swans catalogue I think. He can't wait to get back on the field and told them his knee was very good.

So at least some good news from today.

Who made the worst mistakes tonight? Shaw? Everitt? Marty? Smithy? All the backs made mistakes but they were always under pressure generally except Shaw who constantly kicked to the opposition as he had plenty of opportunities kicking out. What gives with this always playing on from the kick out, what about getting the ball quickly & catching them out. Our players were lazy tonight, they wouldn't run & pick up. By the way if you only have one plan at kick ins it is very easy to combat as proved tonight. I think the coaches have a lot to answer for tonight as the game plan was @@@@. Half way through the third quarter we pushed back so far into their forward line there was no-one forward of the centre for us but three for them. I wonder why the ball kept coming back into their forward fifty so often. Stuff the stupid flood & open the game up & give the forwards a chance. When we did have forwards we banged it in with no system to big packs. Reid had three flying with hin & same with White as the were always flying against each other. What ever happened to the spread? Bring Parker, TDL, RLT & Kennelly back for the next game & maybe Moore as he played well. I wish we could bring young Kane Murphy in as he's a goer!

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast