Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Giants vs Swans on Good Friday

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    Liz.
    Good Friday is not just any public holiday.
    Public holidays are there for a reason, labor day is to remember the gaining of the 40 hour week, the queens birthday is there because of Australia's links to England and so on. While remembering these things can be important Good Friday is above that as it is there as a day to remember the crucifiction of Jesus. That is why its a public holiday and some things are more important than footy.
    Go swannies.
    There are many things more important than footy, but what the are vary widely between individuals. It is up to each of us to focus on those things we consider more important at the appropriate times. I do think it a bit odd than one particular day, important to some but unimportant to more, should be so honoured above any other particular day.

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Honestly Bas, I worry about you. Playing AFTER THE ANZAC DAY MARCH AND COMMEMORATIONS are finished......
    Primmy, I like giving you grey hair worrying !!

What I was saying was that the same thing should apply to Good Friday. If the game gets played at the usual Friday night time then all the religious ceremonies have been completed as well.

As they say "Christ died for our sins". He didn't die so we can't watch Friday night football or has that become sinfull?????? Hmmmmm, can't wait for next Friday night then....................

Damn showbag pavillion and food hall at the Easter Show didn't open till 11 am today either. I don't think that happened on Good Friday.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liz.
    Good Friday is not just any public holiday.
    Public holidays are there for a reason, labor day is to remember the gaining of the 40 hour week, the queens birthday is there because of Australia's links to England and so on. While remembering these things can be important Good Friday is above that as it is there as a day to remember the crucifiction of Jesus. That is why its a public holiday and some things are more important than footy.
    Go swannies.
    With all due respect, there are many members of the community that don't view Good Friday with that level of importance- I'd be very suprised if close to half the nation truly did.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    With all due respect, there are many members of the community that don't view Good Friday with that level of importance- I'd be very suprised if close to half the nation truly did.
    But try taking their public holiday off them !!!!
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    They'd react the same way if you tried taking Labour Day, Australia Day, ANZAC Day, the Queen's Birthday holidays away.

BTW, surely the Queen's Birthday is the lamest ever reason to have a public holiday. Not even the British have a public holiday on the Queen's Birthday.

Big Al
    I just think there is enough days to play footy, lets keep one day for something else and even if you don't have faith in that something else than since footy is still on over Easter on Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday every year you should still get your fill.
    Go Swannies.
    but you dont have to go if you dont want to go surely? What if people who couldnt care less about jesus, or people who do and simply want to enjoy a nice day with the family watching the footy have that option?
    Theres not much left to say

Up until 2 years ago, I was a regular Church attendee, and I mean weekly attendee so I think I can comment to some degree of rationality.

The Easter period and especially Good Friday is the most significant day in a Christian calender. It is meant to be a day of quiet reflection on all things regarding faith and life.

However, I'm no longer a Christian (thanks to the hypocrisy of the Church) so it's just another Friday to me now. I don't think we even had any religious movies on TV this year on FTA on Good Friday because my Mum made the comment to me.

So, as every other major entertainment is open on Good Friday then so should the footy. Christians can spend it as they wish and the others as they wish.

I spent my quiet time of reflection in the last qtr of the Swans Geelong game.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    but you dont have to go if you dont want to go surely? What if people who couldnt care less about jesus, or people who do and simply want to enjoy a nice day with the family watching the footy have that option?
    some good points being made but I still think that there is enough days when footy is played and it is good to keep one important day to a lot of people aside. Also not playing on that day isn't hurting any one.
    Go swannies.

some good points being made but I still think that there is enough days when footy is played and it is good to keep one important day to a lot of people aside. Also not playing on that day isn't hurting any one.
    Go swannies.
    I think your missing the point most people are making. It's all about freedom of choice. You're forcing a choice onto people that don't see Good Friday in the same way.

Here we have an opportunity to play a match while 100,000 people are in the area. It's an opportunity the AFL should definetly take. People who have religious convictions can then have the choice of attending or not.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Veteran Site Admin
    Go swannies.
    You have Christmas Day.

In fact, you have the whole period from October to Feb/March (depending on whether you count the pre-season as part of the season).

Go swannies.
    But it is hurting people. It's hurting the Swans and GWS, who could potentially rake in thousands more dollars and supporters by holding a derby at ANZ on the night of Good Friday, for no good reason other than a few people see footy and Good Friday as mutually exclusive. From my experience, most Christians don't even care. I'm from a Catholic family, none of my Catholic cousins (League supporters) care about Good Friday football.

I guess the point is that most people can reconcile Good Friday and football, and just because a select few don't doesn't others should suffer for it. If you don't like it, don't watch it, but Good Friday football provides a great opportunity for the AFL and its clubs, and it would be simply selfish to condemn them for it.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    Yes, but normally because it's an entitlement under their working conditions; I think an interesting test would be to give full time employees a completely flexible option of 13 additional days of annual leave and see where they take them. I daresay a large number would still take the Easter period off, but from my experience a chunk of the reverence for Easter for the modern worker is that everyone gets a 4 (5 this year) day weekend and people go into across the board shutdown mode.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast