Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
Results 229 to 236 of 236

Thread: Changes for Rnd 7 v Bulldogs (Nipper Gordon to debut!)

  1. #229
    Just wild about Harry
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,810
    I remember Andrew Dunkley was a great defender - maybe with this philosophy we should have had him in the forward line more often?

  2. #230
    Veterans List Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    7,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I remember Andrew Dunkley was a great defender - maybe with this philosophy we should have had him in the forward line more often?
    So you don't agree with the philosophy that forwards especially small ones need to have pressure skills in todays footy???
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

    Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

  3. #231
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    1,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    So you don't agree with the philosophy that forwards especially small ones need to have pressure skills in todays footy???
    Of course they do when the opposition is in possession. Where I part company with the forward defense strategy is the situation like last week when time after time the ball spilled to the back of the pack in our forwards. A good forward who could cut loose from his opponent and get to the back of the pack would have wreaked havoc with Carlton and probably won us the game. We had no such player apart from Mc Glynne who is a "stand out " forward at the Swans because he gets loose ,marks and kicks goals.He is a classic forward but I fear by labelling him like this they will put him in the back pocket! Where were the other forwards? Either worrying about their opponent rather than their opponent worrying about them or they didn't have the engine to get there on time. So if you have a team where both the forwards and the backs put top priority on pressuring their opponents rather than being creative and cutting loose,you end up with a match that is a slug match of defenses.Not pretty and often random whether we win or lose.

  4. #232
    Veterans List Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    7,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Of course they do when the opposition is in possession. Where I part company with the forward defense strategy is the situation like last week when time after time the ball spilled to the back of the pack in our forwards. A good forward who could cut loose from his opponent and get to the back of the pack would have wreaked havoc with Carlton and probably won us the game. We had no such player apart from Mc Glynne who is a "stand out " forward at the Swans because he gets loose ,marks and kicks goals.He is a classic forward but I fear by labelling him like this they will put him in the back pocket! Where were the other forwards? Either worrying about their opponent rather than their opponent worrying about them or they didn't have the engine to get there on time. So if you have a team where both the forwards and the backs put top priority on pressuring their opponents rather than being creative and cutting loose,you end up with a match that is a slug match of defenses.Not pretty and often random whether we win or lose.
    No question you need to get the balance right because as you say if you become too defensive then you do have some issues. TDL hasn't got that balance right just yet imo but he will and when he does he'll cement a place in the forward line.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

    Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

  5. #233
    does anyone know if more goals come from pressured turnovers within a few passes ie max 3 or 4 or passes if more come from larger build ups of plays.

    I know in soccer the stats are that the majority of goals come from 3 passes or less and generally through pressure ie causing a turnover in broken play
    "everybody loves somebody..........sometimes"


  6. #234
    One Man Out ShockOfHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Due north
    Posts
    3,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Not 100% sure ugg, but there were some very dodgy calls and more importantly some dodgy non-calls that ALL favoured the Doggies when they got their tails up after halftime.

    Late in the game when we were coming back hard, Cross got caught cold holding the ball in the forward pocket. Everybody just stopped, including the spectators, just waiting for him to make the call. You know that real pause when you know the ump is going to make the big 'look at me' holding the ball signal. There was nothing, Rosebury just looked like he was asleep before finally calling a ball-up. It was just weird.
    But doesn't that suggest he's a dolt rather than anti-Swans, and that he's just as likely to have a brain spasm in our favour?

    Or am I ruining your anticipation of giving Rosebury a bake from Row A?
    Last edited by ShockOfHair; 6th May 2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Missed word
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

  7. #235
    Just wild about Harry
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    So you don't agree with the philosophy that forwards especially small ones need to have pressure skills in todays footy???
    Not at all Al, I agree that all forwards should have good defensive pressure, however we need to balance that with natural forwards who have good goal instincts and who are maybe not as good defensively.

    (My Dunkley comment was a little mischievous )

  8. #236
    Veterans List Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    7,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Not at all Al, I agree that all forwards should have good defensive pressure, however we need to balance that with natural forwards who have good goal instincts and who are maybe not as good defensively.

    (My Dunkley comment was a little mischievous )
    Thought TDL worked a lot harder today so he's obviously listening to the coaches. He should be pressing for selection next week.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

    Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO