Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bombers v Suns ** Spoiler Alert **

Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    Getting mature players isn't enough. The Suns problem is that they're players, even the AFL 'mercenaries' (thankyou Simon Black) are the slight, silky sort with the exception of Hunt (who doesn't know how to use it), Brown (suspended) and Bock.

GWS would do well to not neccessarily target the best players, but the honest ones who can't be blown off the ball if their teammates aren't there to help. Sure, they'll still get pummelled while their draft picks come good, but the goal here is to be competitive in their first year, and hence be relevent to western Sydney. Failure there could set them back for years to come.
    I don't disagree. I guess that went unsaid but it was essentially what I meant. You want blokes who'll put in no matter want and are physical enough to be able to compete. Dare I use the word "journeymen"?
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    You want blokes who'll put in no matter want...
    Shirley you meant 'no matter what'.

That's what I would of thought, anyway....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    There was an interesting discussion about this on On The Couch last night. GWS will be watching the Suns' progress closely all year with a view to looking at the way they've gone about it and learning from it. I'd say that we'll see GWS trade some of their draft picks for established players. They'll probably also look at the second tier comps around the country to find mature rookies. The Suns have the talent but lack the seasoned pros you need to complement them.

If Daisy, for example, won't sign of his own free will the solution is to get his club to trade him for a high pick.
    I watched that too with interest. Roosy has always been pretty sceptical of whole GWS concept with his knowledge of this town not due to his Swans affiliation.

Basically he said a lot of things I have - that the media will have a feeding frenzy over this and that a 2nd team in Sydney that is a laughing stock will set the game backwards here not forwards.

To be fair I guess the Bogans can learn from the Suns mistakes. Problem is they have so little time.

I suspect they will find it very hard to get the same level of "talent" the Suns have via uncontracted players. If they filll the team with talented 18-19 year olds they will get slaughtered in the short term and they may lose the kids anyway once their 2-3 years are up. I suspect they will have to trade some of their early draft picks but the type of player they will get will be journeymen at best and they are in a Brisbane Bears situation. Certainly no player would go there unless it was their last chance saloon.

I can just imagine Sheeds and his three ring circus sitting at the table going "Mmmmm maybe this is going to be harder than we thought" scratching their heads in shock at the shambles they are involved in

I actually think the Suns have gone about it the right way though perhaps they could have traded one first round pick for a bit more experience. It's hard to see at times but there is some talent there and I think they'll be OK next year. Big diffference is they are in a much more forgiving market up there as there is a really strong AFL culture in that part of Australia. Don't think the Sydney public will be as understanding - as we keep on hearing it's the toughest most over-crowded sporting market in Australia and it hates losers let alone a club which is an embarrassment to be involved with....

There was more talk about this on AFL Insider last night. The very valid comment was made reflecting on the Suns playing TAC Cup in 09, VFL in 2010 and then up to AFL in 2011 with their kids. Contrast this with GWS who are playing in the NEAFL this year - they will not be coming up against nearly as many AFL-listed players, or players with AFL experience, meaning the experience gained on field this year will not stand GWS in as good a stead as that of the Suns before hitting the big time.

It's going to be a massive uphill battle.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    There was more talk about this on AFL Insider last night. The very valid comment was made reflecting on the Suns playing TAC Cup in 09, VFL in 2010 and then up to AFL in 2011 with their kids. Contrast this with GWS who are playing in the NEAFL this year - they will not be coming up against nearly as many AFL-listed players, or players with AFL experience, meaning the experience gained on field this year will not stand GWS in as good a stead as that of the Suns before hitting the big time.

It's going to be a massive uphill battle.
    You only had to watch them against the Bullants last week to see how poor they are. I know they ahd a lot of 17-18 year olds but it was very very hard to see how many of those kids will be anywhere near AFL standard in under a year.

It will be very hard to find any player going there by choice. The draftees have to but they get the experience and can then move to a real club. No-one would agree to a trade there unless no-one else anted them (not a good omen for recruiting) and I think they will find it very hard to attract a single player who you'd consider a top 100 AFL player (i.e. in the top six of an AFL club's list).

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Shirley you meant 'no matter what'.

That's what I would of thought, anyway....
    Yep. That would be a wine-related typo!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12