Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans Moments nominations for future HoF

Swans Moments nominations for future HoF

There had been a decision taken to include "moments" from the Swans journey to include in our Hall of Fame. I thought that we could perhaps make a list of moments we treasure and maybe Scott can work out a nomination sheet that we could vote on for the most important to US, and send it to the club for consideration.

For me (and I don't understand why it wasn't included like Leo's Mark)

1. Pluggers Point
    2. 2003 Port Adelaide PF game (all of it).
    3. Robbie Ahmat's running goal (blimey I can't remember which game it was, just the goal)
    4. 1996 R22, the night the Sydney chant went up for the first time.
    5. 2005, Final Quarter, EF against Geelong - Nic Davis.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I'd add the R4 (IIIRC) 1999 game v North where we could barely score in the first half and were down by about 6 goals at halftime, and came back to win, with the Paul Kelly pinball move off about 3 of 4 north players before kicking the goal.
    Plugger's 1300th (maybe more an AFL moment, but still historic in the Sydney story)
    Final quarter v the Dees, Rd 5 2003 when we kicked 10 goals - it was the turning point and the beginning of our successful streak in the 2000s.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Here we go again?
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I don't understand why it wasn't included like Leo's Mark)
    I am guessing that they wanted to include a variety of different kind of things - ie they only had one ground and one "moment", though there is obviously one more ground that would also qualify (and no doubt will in due course) and many moments that could have been included.

They didn't really include any games as such - I am taking Leo's mark as a moment, rather than a whole game.

In terms of games, the Port QF in 2003 was a huge point in the recent history of the club because it marked the real coming of age of the squad that went onto win the Big One two years later.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    "Here it is!"
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

There had been a decision taken to include "moments" from the Swans journey to include in our Hall of Fame. I thought that we could perhaps make a list of moments we treasure and maybe Scott can work out a nomination sheet that we could vote on for the most important to US, and send it to the club for consideration.

For me (and I don't understand why it wasn't included like Leo's Mark)

1. Pluggers Point
    2. 2003 Port Adelaide PF game (all of it).
    3. Robbie Ahmat's running goal (blimey I can't remember which game it was, just the goal)
    4. 1996 R22, the night the Sydney chant went up for the first time.
    5. 2005, Final Quarter, EF against Geelong - Nic Davis.
    I think when you start naming games or individual efforts then without a set of proper criteria, you trivialise the whole commemoration. It would have to be something of major significance in terms of not just the season BUT the history of the Club. So from Primmy's selection:

1. Possible because it got Sydney into a GF within donkeys years. A major flood of emotion and celebration on the night;
    2. No. Just a game.
    3. Definately NOT. A running goal.
    4. Definately NOT. Point 1 of that season more significant.
    5. Final goal by Nic. I think carries the same weight as 1 above.

Paul Roos lifting the cup. Would it have been less significant if he said: "This is what I'm talkin about" or anything else. No I think Leo's mark is greater and makes the point of significance. It was at THAT point the GF was ours.

The others are memorable moments yes but HOF should be of HOF standard.

I can't really think of any other events that would qualify. Hopefully in the next few years there will be a few.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Pig at Full forward?
    Boo a Roo?
    A couple of defining moments showing that Sydney fans were serious about their footy.

Plugger's point
    Davis v Geelong

These are the moments had a major influence on the season they occurred but also had lasting effects on the club. While we had so many great moments it takes something extraordinary to be deemed a HOF moment.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Bas, this is the Swans initiative, not mine. The Swans Cheer Cheer was one, Leo's mark was another, and there were I think 3 others, but I was a bit shell shocked by how much was going on (ok it was the wine) so can't at present recall. They also asked if we had moments/events we liked and to share them so that the club can keep their eye on what we treasure. This thread is just to get you all involved in what you like and what represents to you a bit of the fabric of the club. If we all had our way it would be Micky's rebel yell. And it might well do so. Its not about shooting down ideas just because YOU diss them,

That's right, just remembered, the QBE Insurance as major sponsors of the Swans are also included in the list. So I don't see why not the Sydney chant, which had a definite moment in time, 4th quarter, Rnd 22, 1996, would not be in consideration.
    Last edited by Primmy; 1st May 2011 at 10:06 PM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I forgot that the essence of the event can't be repeated. So the West Coast game chant in 1996 (at which game I was at) does not fall into this category.

Although it might be if our non vocal cheer squad continue their vow of silence.

The pig at full forward is a good one. perhaps we could let it loose in the cheeer squad. "There's a pig in the cheer squad". You'd expect Bruce Mc to respond with - CLEVER!!
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Bas, this is the Swans initiative, not mine. The Swans Cheer Cheer was one, Leo's mark was another, and there were I think 3 others, but I was a bit shell shocked by how much was going on (ok it was the wine) so can't at present recall.
    I'm a bit shocked Primmy. You were NEVER like that sitting next to me at the B & F. Now who was the bad influence? Wardy or Big Al?. Getting a Lady tipsy indeed!!!!

A Swans initiative? That would be a first. Something doesn't seem right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    I'm a bit shocked Primmy. You were NEVER like that sitting next to me at the B & F. Now who was the bad influence? Wardy or Big Al?. Getting a Lady tipsy indeed!!!!
    *points at Wardy*
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast