Thread: 2011 International Cup

On the Rookie List

2011 International Cup

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the boards but I just wanted to try and generate some interest around the upcoming AFL International Cup. For the first time ever there will be games played outside of Victoria!

Round 1 takes place in Blacktown Saturday August 13

There is a bit of information on the AFL website:

AFL International Cup 2011 - AFL.com.au

Any interest in this tournament? I think if I heard of the Australian Ice Hockey team coming over here to play in a tournament i'd check them out.

I went with the name "Other Team Canada" because in Canada when you hear the words "Team Canada" everyone instantly thinks of our hockey...we eat sleep and breath hockey....hence the reason the AFL team is the OTHER team Canada.

Follow me on twitter @OTHERteamCanada

Thanks for taking the time to check this out! If you have any questions about our team or what footy is like in Canada don't hesitate to ask!

I've never been to Canada, and have no family or connection there, but whenever the IC rolls around I find myself cheering them on. I've always like Canada for some reason, and the Red and White helps, plus now the Pyke connection

A documentary was made on the Northwind through the 2008 tournament. I've got a copy if anyone wants it
    10100111001 ;-)

On the Rookie List
    That is great info laughingnome! It's great to hear that we have some (a?) supporter in Australia.

I'm in the process of getting some TEAM CANADA scarfs made up that our friends and family can wear to our games. I'll make sure I keep them nice with the Red and White so they will look great at Swans games as well.

I'll get a picture on here once I design them.

Our jumpers are in the design process right now as well...think there'd be any interest in those? I could grab a few extra to bring with me.

Blog Entries
    Mate, welcome. Yes, the Canadians are naturally a favourite here as laughingnome says and for the reasons he points out. Here are some previous years threads 2005 , 2008.

You'll also find that there are a few hockey fans here (NHL) - I myself am a Habs fan (yes, for the red and white, and no, I won't change). I've been to a couple of matches at the Forum in LA so have a soft spot for the Kings. Met Gretzky and Lafleur (in his last season).

Looking forward to read some reports from the International cup!

On the Rookie List
    A few footy fans with some international knowledge, that's great.

Well i'm really looking forward to playing in the tournament obviously but also being part of the first International Cup games being played in Sydney.
    The first game is August 13 in Blacktown.

I just googled Blacktown and it looks like it's 40min from Sydney? - is this where the Giants play?

We are going to the Swans vs St. Kilda game on the 21st and then off to Melbourne for the 2nd have of the tournament.

There is talk about splitting the tournament into 2 divisions this year to avoid the beatings that took place in 08 but as some of the newer Nations drop-out and the # gets closer to 18 it might stay as 1 Division with multiple pools like previous years.

World Footy News - Independent News and Views from the International Aussie Rules Community has lots of great info on international footy.
    The local comp here in Vancouver is British Columbia Australian Football League and the largest league outside of Australia is on Ontario ww.oafl.ca
    If anyone ever comes to Canada and wants to have a kick we'd love to have you.

On the Rookie List
    I finally got the webiste in order
    www.AFLTeamCanada.com
    Check it out and let me know what you think.

We are planning and event, most likely at a pub in Bondi, we will have lots of prizes and it will be a great way to meet the team before tournament stars. Stay tuned for details or follow us on twitter @AFL_TeamCanada

Blog Entries
    Your Guernsey look good. Love the wind look.

And Your scarves are very sydneyesque with the pointy white bits looking like a straightened opera house.