Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UTS dropped in strength or just not up to it?

UTS dropped in strength or just not up to it?

In 2007 and 2008 I thought UTS were a very impressive side. Their side last year less impressive even though they won the flag. Did I see UTS on their good days or have they dropped as a team over the last couple of years. Or are they just that far behind being a strong premier team. What are your thoughts!

They are simply that far behind. The gap between prem and Div 1 is significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Hogg View Post
    They are simply that far behind. The gap between prem and Div 1 is significant.
    We all saw it with the Lions, although they weren't as dominant in the old SFA as UTS were. It's a massive step up. Sydney Uni took a few years to become the force they are in Prems now. They'll steadily improve, although the Lions were probably their best chance for a win you'd think.

My opinion is that the only way they will become competitive is if they drop their "No Player Payments at the Bats" policy, as outlined in their 2010 Annual Report. I think this is naive if they think they can be competive with teams who are paying players up to $1000 a game.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty Burns2 View Post
    My opinion is that the only way they will become competitive is if they drop their "No Player Payments at the Bats" policy, as outlined in their 2010 Annual Report. I think this is naive if they think they can be competive with teams who are paying players up to $1000 a game.
    All well and good Monty but this requires significant cash.

You're looking at budgeting for 10k a year for one good player (assuming you pay him $500 per game), I wouldn't know the going rate, I'm only guessing.

What then about everyone else on your list, do you pay them as well?

I guess on the other side of the coin, you don't put your hand up to play with the big boys unless you know that you have the resources to compete.

I tend to agree, I'm not sure you can compete at that level in the long term unless you have a reasonable player budget.

Quote Originally Posted by DLH View Post

You're looking at budgeting for 10k a year for one good player (assuming you pay him $500 per game), I wouldn't know the going rate, I'm only guessing.

I guess on the other side of the coin, you don't put your hand up to play with the big boys unless you know that you have the resources to compete.

I tend to agree, I'm not sure you can compete at that level in the long term unless you have a reasonable player budget.
    I think you need some form of financial incentive that rewards your better players but it doesn't have to be exhorbitant.

Sydney Uni are able to selectively target players via their scholarship system, maybe UTS could go down that track. I don't think their affiliation with the Uni is as strong as the other Unis.

I believe that Penno used to award four cash payments a week based on a 3-2-1 votes basis and a player's player award. If you had $100 per vote plus $200 for players player then that's $18,000 over a season. Not a minor sum granted but probably about what you need to be competitive. A star player who get 6 BOGs and 6 player's player awards would pocket $3000 which could be enough to keep your stars.

Bully has set up a payment scheme for us, certainly not in the realm of a Prems team, but handy to get a collect nonetheless.

For a win, we have a $500 pool, BOG gets $250, 2nd $125, 3rd $75, 4th/5th $50 each.

Half that for a loss, and erase it for a loss of more than 10 goals. Can get your rego fees back in a game really, and we present it at RGs after the game, so it tends to go over the bar at some stage. Works pretty well for our guys. We budget for it and it comes up roses.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Bully has set up a payment scheme for us, certainly not in the realm of a Prems team, but handy to get a collect nonetheless.

For a win, we have a $500 pool, BOG gets $250, 2nd $125, 3rd $75, 4th/5th $50 each.

Half that for a loss, and erase it for a loss of more than 10 goals. Can get your rego fees back in a game really, and we present it at RGs after the game, so it tends to go over the bar at some stage. Works pretty well for our guys. We budget for it and it comes up roses.
    Sounds like a great system. Unless you've got plenty of cash to throw around a fully transparent incentive system like that works the best IMO. Stops petty backstabbing about who's getting what etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Sounds like a great system. Unless you've got plenty of cash to throw around a fully transparent incentive system like that works the best IMO. Stops petty backstabbing about who's getting what etc.....
    Of course, the treasurer is gunning for a loss. Probably would slip $50 to his fullback in the last quarter if they are 6 goals down as well to let a few more slip through.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    In 2007 and 2008 I thought UTS were a very impressive side. Their side last year less impressive even though they won the flag. Did I see UTS on their good days or have they dropped as a team over the last couple of years. Or are they just that far behind being a strong premier team. What are your thoughts!
    Surely people did not seriously expect them to be very competitive in prem div? Yes they were dominant against other teams reserve grade sides but most prem div teams are lucky to have 6-8 good players, 6-8 average players and then the level drops of dramatically form there. They continually boast about having such a great culture and amazing social scene down there (and from a far it looks as though they do) that surely it could not be hard to drum up some sponsors with the 90+ players they have.
    Perhaps a PJ O'Brien's or Scruffy Murphy's??

Quote Originally Posted by DLH View Post

I wasn't commenting on whether or not it was viable for the Bats. I was merely stating that, in my opinion, they won't be competitive unless they start paying players.

But reading the rest of your post it appears we are in agreeance.

I like the Jets system and also like the tiered approach (eg. Top tiered players who receive most payments are those that have AFL experience, 2nd tiered - WAFL, SANFL, VFL experience, 3rd tier - maybe Sydney rep if not fitting in above etc etc). Both approaches are pretty hard to argue with from a player's point of view, I would imagine.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty Burns2 View Post
    I wasn't commenting on whether or not it was viable for the Bats. I was merely stating that, in my opinion, they won't be competitive unless they start paying players.

But reading the rest of your post it appears we are in agreeance.

I like the Jets system and also like the tiered approach (eg. Top tiered players who receive most payments are those that have AFL experience, 2nd tiered - WAFL, SANFL, VFL experience, 3rd tier - maybe Sydney rep if not fitting in above etc etc). Both approaches are pretty hard to argue with from a player's point of view, I would imagine.
    Understood, was more trying to promote some general discussion as I reckon it's a pretty interesting topic, but yes, agree with the jist of your point.

Seems to me that there's some sort of agreement that transparency is best rather than an ad hoc method where blokes get whatever they can, and presumably there would be some that would get next to nothing, which does nothing to promote harmony.

The Jets system suggests a budget of about 10 grand, and MP has calculated his at about 18k, and you'd think that this would be pretty affordable for a club at a level that could justify player payment.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast