Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Round 7: Sydney Swans Reserves v Gold Coast Suns Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Well Brad Pitt is in charge allegedly - perhaps that is the real distraction!
    I had a lot of people come over and have a look. They pretended to look at the score but I know what they were really looking at.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Sydney Swans
    Goal Kickers: T. DENNIS-LANE 7, L. JOHNSTON 3, B. MEREDITH 2, N. MALCESKI , C. MCKAIGUE , D. Robinson , A. Moody , P. BEVAN , M. SEABY
    Best Players: J. MOORE, T. DENNIS-LANE, B. MEREDITH, J. WHITE, D. MCNEIL, P. BEVAN, M. SEABY

No idea how they didnt consider Johnston one of the best seven players on the day. There were a lot of good contributors all round including toppies but i thought Lewis really showed something when he was switched forward. Also think they got the wrong Moody

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Sydney Swans
    Goal Kickers: T. DENNIS-LANE 7, L. JOHNSTON 3, B. MEREDITH 2, N. MALCESKI , C. MCKAIGUE , D. Robinson , A. Moody , P. BEVAN , M. SEABY
    Best Players: J. MOORE, T. DENNIS-LANE, B. MEREDITH, J. WHITE, D. MCNEIL, P. BEVAN, M. SEABY

No idea how they didnt consider Johnston one of the best seven players on the day. There were a lot of good contributors all round including toppies but i thought Lewis really showed something when he was switched forward. Also think they got the wrong Moody
    Can't claim that my view is completely independent of Ugg's given that we watched the game standing together. But that does seem to be a pretty random group of names thrown into the best. Moore was very good - he should look a class above most of the rest. But Bevan? He was Mr Fumbles today. And while it was hardly his fault, Jesse didn't have a huge amount to do when switched back onto Dixon given how much the Swans midfield dominated. And when the ball did get down that end, Dixon beat him on the lead several times. Not to say Jesse didn't do some good stuff, though.

I thought Lewis was excellent after initially struggling on the much bigger Dixon (but still not disgracing himself given the size differential). He was seriously classy when he moved forward, not only kicking three goals himself but also setting up several more. His highlight was an exquisitely weighted 40m kick that TDL marked running backwards with the flight of the ball, with a much taller defender in front of him.

Agree with Ugg and Liz on LJ. He's a very classy player who should be imo playing more forward.

Though Jesse went well went he went down back and worked quite hard. Considering his pretty clueless up forward maybe defense is his future.

It was funny I was sitting next to Kizza and Rohan (they're characters those 2 I can assure you) and Gaz was bemoaning the fact that Dixon was playing as he had him in his Dream Team.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Let's see how much I can write before heading to bed!

A clear day for once, as previous outings to Lakeside Oval had resulted in many trips under the bus shelter for cover from the rain. Not today as the sun was out but it was bitterly cold with a nasty wind blowing across the ground which tested not only the players but particularly one boundary umpire who couldn't figure out why his throws were so crooked.

It was another very impressive and dominant display by the Reserves who have been moulded by Playfair, Crouch and Maxfield into a very well drilled and disciplined outfit . While a lot more was expected of the young but talented Gold Coast side, a lot of credit has to be given to our group of youngsters who outmuscled but probably more importantly outhustled the Suns for the contested ball. The Suns were missing a few key important players that were prominent for them in the first 6 weeks of the season - a few earnt senior promotion (Lynch, Day, Patrick, Nicholls) while a few more were rested or injured (Harris, Gorringe)

The Suns did put up a good contest for a quarter and a bit and looked dangerous with ball in hand, but some sloppy disposal going inside 50 let them down and the Swans were excellent in their rebound from defence. Once the margin on the (Big Al-operated) scoreboard started opening up, the Swans basically ran the show as they liked.

PlayerReport
    1. SeabySeaby was excellent all day - this was his best home game this year. Gold Coast were down to their 5th/6th ruck choice (Thompson/Dixon after Z.Smith/Fraser/Gorringe/Nicholls) and it was clear from early on that Seaby was dominating the taps and in some cases just plucking them straight from the bounce/throw-in. He played mostly in the ruck with only short spells up forward - his contribution at ground level and around the ground notable as well. It will be hard forcing his way into the seniors though, LRT did a solid job backing up Mummy, but perhaps with Hawthorn's two tall gun forwards Buddy and Roughy coming to town, LRT might be needed in defence, opening up a spot for Seaby. I think he deserves a shot.
    7. MeredithIt was the best game from Meredith this year by a country mile. He had an important job (perhaps not a hard tag but definitely keeping a close eye) on Harley Bennell early on, and kept him under wraps. I don't recall much of Bennell after the first quarter, he might have been injured but it did open up Meredith to contribute more offensively. He did end up kicking 2 goals but both were from free kicks, the 2nd for a very, very soft fifty. Meredith was very solid in his disposal and his intensity, which seemed to be lacking in the past, was back up to the level we expect from a fringe player pushing for a spot in the seniors.
    8. Dennis-LaneMy feeling straight after the game was that TDL had another game in which his output on the scoreboard exceeded his contribution on the day. However, upon a re-reading of my notes, I can only pinpoint one goal where he was the recipient of a good pass or good work from a teammate for an easy or cheap goal. The rest were not simple at all, and two of them were a result from a good strong lead and mark. He worked really well with Johnston, as he was the beneficiary of two Lewis assists - one already mentioned by liz and the other was a strong LJ mark and quick, clever kick into space for TDL to run onto, shrugging off the despairing tackle of the GC defender and rolling it home. He'll come under serious consideration for a senior spot next week, probably taking Nipper's spot.
    9. MalceskiIt was fantastic to watch him out there, running around and directing traffic as usual. His kicking was its usual high quality, pinpointing many grateful teammates in the forward 50 - one in particular a long directed bomb right to Johnston's advantage for him to mark 10m out in front. He did kick a goal but that was a result of Mav Weller running over the mark giving him a point blank shot (As an aside, the umpires were really strict on players going over the mark, a few GC players paid the penalty). He played all of the first half and a few minutes in the 2nd before being taken off.
    10. CurrieAnother solid contribution from the Crusher, spent all day as a tall, marking forward and managed to pull down some strong grabs. He left his kicking boots at home though, and didn't trouble the scorers. He's also a great chaser and tackler for a guy of his size and he ran down a smaller opponent today.
    18. WhiteJesse began the game deep at full forward being marked by Joel Tippett. He didn't seem to contribute much and probably only got his first touches after relieving Seaby in the ruck. He was swapped with Johnston early on in the second quarter, going onto the monster-sized Dixon. As liz already mentioned Dixon did beat him a few times on one-on-ones but there were some good marks and spoils intercepting kicks into the defensive area intended for other GC targets. Jesse also looks incredibly stylish and threatening with the ball in hand, rebounding from defence.
    23. JohnstonI've already expressed my incredulity at his omission from the best list, and I'm still befuddled by it after reviewing the notes. It didn't start particularly well for Lewis as straight from the opening bounce, a quick clearance by a GC midfielder headed towards a contest between LJ and Dixon. Dixon managed to hold position and mark comfortably in front of him and I thought it may be a long day ahead for LJ. What impressed about Lewis in defence was his calmness under pressure, again his distribution was very classy. After he switched forward, he presented well, marked strongly and left his defender Tippett trailing in his wake. His usage of the ball was excellent as highlighted by the 2 TDL assists already mentioned above. He finished with 3 goals including a wonder snap from deep in the right pocket for his 2nd. I was particularly sad that he was taken off in the last quarter (as a precautionary emergency for the seniors). The big question now is whether this switch back as a key forward will become permanent or was due to matchup issues with Dixon. Unfortunately for Lewis, Sam Reid played really well and Everitt contributed as tall forwards so unless a injury hits I can't see Lewis forcing his way in, just yet.
    28. McNeilDylan had a fantastic battle with one of the better GC players on the day Marc Lock. It was an interesting matchup as Lock is one of the bigger sized midfielders for them and McNeil one of the smaller sized ones for us. I'm not sure who was tagging who but both stuck close to each other throughout the whole match and I would declare the result this matchup a draw.
    33. MooreWhenever Moore comes back down to reserves level and is given a midfield role he usually dominates and today wasn't any different. The fact that he was tagged by Mav Weller, whom the Gold Coast envisages as one of their better taggers, and still dominate as he did gives you an idea of how good he was today. What does it mean for his chance of a recall? Was he dropped for match fitness reasons or poor form? It's hard to say as it's unlikely he will play in the midfield in the seniors and his cleverness and cunning with the ball in hand is diminished with the lesser time and space afforded to players at the elite AFL level. He could well be fighting TDL for a single spot in the forwards.
    35. HeathCampbell managed to play out the whole game which was surprising given it was his first game of the year. He must have been training really hard in the weeks leading up to this game. He didn't have a permanent opponent for most of the day, playing on a number of half-forward types that the Suns rotated through. He spoiled well and provided a solid physical presence in defence.
    36. McKaigueWith the return of Malceski and Heath into the backline, McKaigue seemed to be playing further up the ground, perhaps even pushing onto the wings at times. He seemed to be playing on the dangerous Roland AhChee, where his pace was invaluable in countering the quick GC player. His goal was a ripper, having a speculative shot from fifty that bent back and just snuck past the right hand post.
    42. BevanI was more happy with Bevo's game than liz seemed to be. I agree that he did fumble quite a lot but perhaps because it's what I've come to expect and from him I didn't mark him down for it. I liked his attack on the ball and his launches into pack situations. He managed to mark 3 times for shots on goal, but alas could only convert one of them. It was interesting to see him at the centre bounces in the last quarter where he was much more effective than his previous stint there last year.
    43. KrugerNot too many memories of Kruger's game to be honest, I do remember some hard running but not such great disposal at the end of it. In fact, the one piece of play I have etched into my brain wasn't a great one, he tried to baulk and step the bigger Lewis Moss who didn't buy the dummy for a single second and proceeded to grab hold, tackle and dump Kruger for a holding the ball decision. Kruger seemed to be playing a little behind the ball lately - this would be a great learning position for him. It allows him to follow his man to the ball where his fast closing speed will come into play, while it also gives him plenty of opportunities to improve his disposal coming out of defence.
    44. OttenThere is a certain R.Brabazon over in WA who will be delighted that liz has a new reserves whipping boy (all in good humour of course). I'm not so harsh on him (yet), but only because he hasn't really done much for me to pass judgment on. He was a tad unlucky when he had an early goal that was called touched by the umpire. He spent most of the game in a defensive post on Jacob Gillbee who also had little impact on the game. Once Johnston was removed for the last quarter, Otten was his replacement up forward and he provided a nice assist for the little topup Moody (I think it was Eric but the scorecard says Andrew so who am I to argue?) with a great centering kick. Needs to get more involved, quick smart!
    46. HarenIt was his first time in defence (for me anyway) and had a good tussle with Lewis Moss. Haren kept Moss quiet for most of the day but Moss started getting more of the ball in the 2nd half and ended up as one of the Suns better players. I wish Ben hadn't dyed his hair black, because both the topups Potter and Guthrie have a similar colour and similar numbers (47/48 vs 46). It was easier to spot Haren with his carrot top
    ToppiesAnother big wrap to the toppies that played today, they are playing a big part in why we are unbeaten with such a great percentage (400+). In the past, opposition sides have identified the skinny kids and used their larger size to physically intimidate our toppies, this year and it was on show again today, the toppies great right into the physical side of things with their tackling and contesting. Individually, Potter played mostly in the forward line where his brief was mainly to harass and chase. Guthrie I only spotted in the last quarter but can't remember too much about his involvement. Brain was in the midfield and more prominent in the 1st half, but today his possession wasn't as clean as it has been. Mightily impressed with Lynch who stood out in defence, he has a bit of speed about him and moves really well for a tall guy. A lot of trust was placed in Thompson, he was up and about the wing/half forward area and probably played as much as any other toppie. The Moody brothers were small (Eric) and smaller (Andrew) yet stood out with their kicking skills. They must have sat on the bench for most of the first half but received more game time in the second period. I have dubbed Robinson the DOK lookalike (DOK-alike?), not in his footballing ability but int the way he looks, moves and kicks the footy. He took a nice grab in front of us today, and he took a similar one at the last home game.

Titbits
    Kane Murphy overheard saying he had an hip injury and that it was killing him that he couldn't be out there. I'm no expert on these matters, but I have to agree with Primmy that he is a fine looking young fellow. He could be our next Jude, looks like Jane but plays like Tarzan (apologies to one D.Russell). Malceski, while he was on, Moore and White were very vocal out there, keen to point out to inexperienced players like McKaigue and Kruger where they should be positioned or who they should be marking. Have I also mentioned how bloody cold it was?

Next week is a bye for the reserves which is unfortunate timing for guys like Malceski and Heath trying to regain match fitness, and for anyone else finding themselves out of the senior side against the Hawks.

Reserves 4.4 9.6 14.7 18.12 (120)
    Gold Coast 1.3 2.5 2.7 3.10 (28)

Goals: Dennis-Lane 7 Johnston 3 Meredith 2 Malceski McKaigue Robinson A.Moody Bevan Seaby

My best: Moore Seaby Johnston Dennis-Lane Meredith Bevan

Agree pretty much with what you have posted ugg. I was chatting to one Tim .... (the red haired suppy often used) who said both he and Kane had hip flexors. He was in Swans mufti gear, he is with Pennant Hills, so I asked him if he liked supping with the Swans, and his whole being lit up. He Loves it.

NicMal had a grin from ear to ear as he left the arena, and we both agreed that there was no limp anywhere to be found. Busting his poofle valve that one.
    Eugene Kruger is having a bit of difficulty transitioning from being an elite runner to playing a Team game. Probably better if he took up golf at this stage, but I could be wrong.
    LJ now looks like a Bloke instead of a Hair Bear. He did some fine things, but he has a bit of Dale Lewis about him, and his persona could get lost in the wash. Built like a senior player though.
    Doggy took a couple of almost hanger marks and looked like a senior amongst the mob. He'll be back.
    TDL kicked seven goals and just about each one of them was different. ORB took notes on exactly where they came from and they make interesting reading. ORB??? He needs another chance. I don't think I have seen him miss yet.
    Number 55 who is about 120cm standing next to Mark Seaby was a wonderful sight. Just shows that this game can find a place for anyone wanting to play. He is a very enthusiastic and capable kid, but according to my new mate Tim he is about 16.
    Massively impressed with 52, Mitch Thompson. He as a bit of "it" factor in his game.

Caught Kizza, Gary and I think Matt Spangher kicking the ball around and I snapped at them "thought you lot were supposed to be injured" - guilty as school boys. Very funny.

Great to see just about everyone who wasn't playing out watching the ressies, including the senior coaches - the whole game.

Wonder why BA was asked to keep score......however they caught him out trying to dud the GCs a whole point!

GCs had a lot of very good players. Lots of skills, but not a lot of finish - yet. It was gratifying to see the bubby swans run out the game as athletes. They have a very good fitness base, including I might add the suppies.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thank you Big Al, Liz and Primmy, always pleased to have your thoughts on the twos.
    As for you, ugg, a masterly combination of quantity (too much is never enough) and quality; very much appreciated.
    Sounds like the ressies are coming on a treat, and I get the impression that it's not only the quality available (Moore, Johnston, Seaby, Malceski etc) but the astute input of Henry. Would you folks agree?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Sydney Swans

Every week McKaigue gets a gig in that list and yesterday I thought he was outstanding, even to the point I thought he was BOG. Now he's off the list??? lol.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    ...so I asked him if he liked supping with the Swans, and his whole being lit up. He Loves it.
    I've got no idea what that's supposed to mean, but I'm leaving that one way way alone....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    GCs had a lot of very good players. Lots of skills, but not a lot of finish - yet.
    Or defensive structure. What disappointed me about them was that they played like a bunch of talented teenagers without the structures and pressure that you would expect senior-AFL players in waiting to be able to muster. What was really impressive about GWS last weekend was how good their defensive pressure was, especially in their forward line, at least in the first half. They didn't have the bodies / fitness levels to maintain it for the whole game but at least they had a good dip. Given that the GC17 guys are generally a year older and their senior team sometimes shows good defensive pressure, I was expecting a far better drilled opponent today, rather than one that tried just to rely on talent.

Primmy that would be Tim Wales number 54 usually. I was wondering what was happening to him. Uncle Byron was also watching the game. He had no discernible limp or strapping/cast on so I have no idea why he didn't play in this game. We seem to be picking up a few injuries during training; first Gaz then Jed now Uncle

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Every week McKaigue gets a gig in that list and yesterday I thought he was outstanding, even to the point I thought he was BOG. Now he's off the list??? lol.
    Maybe the list is auto generated? 10+ spoils earns you a berth as a defender?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast