Thread: Pies record member numbers

Unhappy Pies record member numbers

Scary numbers, especially if you look at the growth since 1996. Their members couldn't all fit in the SCG. (Capacity 46,000 according to Dr Google).

My reaction is a) horror that there are that many Pies supporters out there, b) jealousy, and c) grudging admiration. Damn!!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...6/default.aspx
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Blog Entries
    They showed some older ladies at the Pies training in the rain yesterday.
    Poor dears will have to cancel their extras cover. They don't need the dental cover anymore.

My Reaction is a.
    You sould see the amount of "Premiers 2010" stickers on the back of cars, the amount of kids in b&w jumpers.

It's a sad world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    You sould see the amount of "Premiers 2010" stickers on the back of cars, the amount of kids in b&w jumpers.

I see enough of them in Northern Sydney as it is. It's just not cool.
    10100111001 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post

Why do you think I fled?

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hard to say it... but... good on them.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

On the Rookie List swansrock4eva's Avatar
    Definitely a grudging "good on ya" to them, but I'd be interested to see how many are on their different types of m'ships though - I know quite a number who are on those rather than full-season ones, and I don't think I actually know a pies fan on a full-season ticket...

Dont be fooled - some are using their many centrelink aliases to triple the numbers!!! (only kidding!)

The mind boggling thing about it is that for a club of "battlers" their annual turnover is around the $80 mil mark (or was that $8 mil - I knew I did a double take when I heard it.) either way it was a hell of a lot of money and I wish we could have the same success in that area.

I know all clubs have their feral element - ours included - And for all the rotten things we say about them (which some do have actual merit) the Pies folk have that real kind of intimidating aura about them, and really its just the huge number of their overly passionate supporters that make it that way. They make all other clubs look like groups girl guides in comparison (am I making any sense here?) and because of the numbers we feel just a little insecure. Of course they might consider having a Dental plan as part of the membership package - might make poeple respect them a little more. But at the end of the day , I Still dont like em !
    Last edited by Wardy; 14th May 2011 at 03:33 PM.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by swansrock4eva View Post
    Definitely a grudging "good on ya" to them, but I'd be interested to see how many are on their different types of m'ships though - I know quite a number who are on those rather than full-season ones, and I don't think I actually know a pies fan on a full-season ticket...
    Not much point in investing in a full season till you meet the parole requirements
    Last edited by Frog; 17th May 2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Expect it to get worse.
    The AFL have created and continue to develop a Collingwood-centric competition.
    In their ambition to please their bank manager, they have (in my humble opinion) made themselves so reliant on televising every possible Collingwood game that we are well and truely in a big catch 22 situation.

Collingwood get so much publicity and game time and promotion from the AFL, that, coupled with the medias love affair, kids everywhere are supporting the Pies.
    These kids will grow up and demand the continuation of 24/7 Pies games and also, memberships will continue to grow and grow.

Remember the old days when a game played in Melbourne wasn't televised into Melbourne, unless it was sold out?
    Well the AFL have come to the conclusion that this is irrelevant to crowd numbers, and since their first priority (again) is money, things got switched up.

Even with the new media deal, it leaves the door open for the FTA coverage of the 'biggest' games.
    Collingwood, and to a lesser degree, Essendon and Carlton are the real winners here.

All of this doesn't really affect me as a Swans fan.
    I consider it only a very small part of the reason why the Swans lack coverage in Victoria.
    The Swans overall will probably win, as the scene is set to continue to televise the vast majority of games into Sydney, and what do the Swans care if the prominance of Collingwood forces out one or two Vic based teams?
    Swans are safe, probably a lot safer because of the AFL's blatant favoritism towards the Pies, but long term, I'd be pretty worried if I was a Kangas, Demons, Hawks, Tigers or Bulldogs supporter...

*end of rant*
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.