Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vale Club Swans

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I assure you, when we were thinking it through (and from memory it did get to relatively serious levels of investigation) it was all musos or former musos looking for a viable way to keep it open for live music first and foremost- it was a venue that was dear to our hearts. I think the estimate was it would probably take away 40 out of the roughly 320 days of music they were doing at the time through hosting smaller club functions, gameday (home and away etc.).
    That's interesting Stella, as a music fan myself I think it could have worked. IMO, 280 out of a possible 320 days of live music is better than none at a pub that's boarded up and waiting for someone to do something with. From a Swans perspective the initial outlay would be a lot less than establishing a new club somewhere else. I wonder if it would be worth revisiting.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    In case anyone was wondering...

Club Swans and the Sydney Swans

Basically, the Swans have clarified that the closure of Club Swans has no financial impact on the football club as they didn't own the social club. The football club (excluding Club Swans) still recorded a loss in 2010 but this was more due to the cost of starting up the Swans Academy.

About bloody time.
    They should have turned it into a brothel years ago. Would have made the club a whole lot more money.

Should make our bottom line look a bit better, now that we're not tossing money down the drain.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Theres not much left to say

And I thought North was the only team in financial trouble!!

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    And I thought North was the only team in financial trouble!!
    What do you mean? We're not in trouble! Sydney is a veritable goldmine with loads of money and thousands, no millions, of AFL fans waiting in the wings, especially in the greater west!!

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Complete non-issue. The Swans are NOT insolvent, what's caused the confusion is that Club Swans, which has been losing money for some time now, is included in the Swans' overall bottom line under the accounting rules.

The Herald article includes a few more quotes from Colless, link here:

''We don't have any ownership of Club Swans but because we had influence over the governance of financial and operating policies, we are bound by accounting guidelines to annually consolidate the Sydney Swans [Ltd] and Club Swans. But that's the only time it's ever done, and it's a pretty theoretical notion.

''Any exposure that we had to the club has been written off in prior periods, and I think it's very simple that if you extract Club Swans out of the consolidated entity, you are left with Sydney Swans, and the position is as it's been for 20 years. It's a low-margin business, we don't turn a profit every year but we've got no debt, and I think what's really encouraging is this year our spon-sorship is up over 30 per cent.''

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    What did you play - both instrument and musical styles?
    Most everything, but mainly guitar. Lots of different styles in lots of groups over the years, but mainly silly indie teased hair dufferness.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123