Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Horse impressing anyone?

Is Horse impressing anyone?

Before I get shouted down, I know it's early days and I know he's not the only one making decisions. But he is the head coach and enough water has gone under the bridge to cast an eye over his impact so far.
    What I don't like:
    1) The way he has handled Mummy...he came off a limited pre season, after finishing last year with 2 bung knees, and was thrown straight in and required to run out games as the number 1 ruckman. Then when his backup Pyke went down, instead of bringing in the player they recruited as their number 1 ruckmen, Seaby, he brought in an underdone LRT, a deadest defender, and ask him to play backup ruckman/ forward. He's a pinch hitter in the ruck even when fully match fit. Thus leaving Mumford with an even bigger work load. Surprise , surprise, he's got a sore knee, which sounds like the injury from last year flaring up...that's never a good sign long term. Terrible player management.
    2) Playing Everitt in defence for 5 or 6 games when his only decent quarter of footy was as a forward.
    3) Playing Bevo in defence. We all know what happens when Bevo plays in the backline, so do our opponents.
    4) Appointing McVeigh as co captain, a most uninspiring choice, which so far is looking like a stuff up that's going to be hard, if not impossible, to reverse with out having a negative effect on the team.
    5) Not letting White settle into one position as a key forward, (or IMO as a key defender) and continuing to play him in the ruck, where he performs like a blind chicken. You could see him loosing confidence with every spell in the ruck.
    6) Game day tactics have been much more reactive than proactive.
    One example.. Letting Scarlett run free for so long was unbelievable.
    7) Sub selections, IMO only one has effectively helped the team in 8 or 9 games. But my biggest beef here is using a 1st gamer. Where the chance of them having a positive impact on the result is negligible. They need a full game to settle into the pace and intensity, and hopefully gain some confidence.
    8) I'll add one more I overlooked, our complete lack of forward structure..It's been woeful, playing LRT forward, Mattner forward at times, what a joke while, while Seaby, White, Johnson, TDL all languish in the 2's...pushing at best coming from a headcoach who was a key forward...You don't win games if you don't kick goals.
    I've approached this from a negative angle, obviously, and would like to hear some positives..
    Last edited by ernie koala; 26th May 2011 at 11:19 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I've approached this from a negative angle, obviously, and would like to hear some positives..
    Um, um, he has blooded some youngsters.

Mummy's sore knee reminds me of what Thomas did with Koschitzke by playing him injured until he broke down.

I'm not good enough to judge what's happening but there ain't much excitement happening me thinks.

It could always be a Swans strategy to blood these guys and then trade them to GWS. Who knows?
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

I feel your frustration and I agree with most of it.
    But I think you are over looking the good things he has done too.
    He has inducted a bunch of new players and has changed our style of game, which I enjoy.
    But yes he has had some barries as you outline.
    I hope he comes to realise it sooner than later.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I'm happy to see him experiment, provided (a) he knows when it hasn't worked, and (b) he is progressing to a stable set-up, especially the front six and the back six, preferably in that order.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I haven't been impressed. However, he's got the rest of the year ahead of him, and he's been willing to take risks and play the youngsters, so neither am I writing him off.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

We don't know how Mummy injured his knee and in any case all coaches follow medical advice on how much game time to give players. A bit early to blame Longmire.

We've struggled with the sub, but that's more to do with our list. We're stoppage-intensive but we don't have a Leigh Brown or Paddy Ryder-style tall who can multitask really well, so second ruck is a dilemma. Our forward line is mediocre because our forwards are mediocre.

I'm undecided about LRT as he's only played two games. But Horse wants to keep him doing more of the same.

''I watched him play an under-18 game at Optus Oval [in Melbourne] before he was drafted and he played in the ruck,'' Longmire says.

''He showed his versatility. He's really athletic and he's aggressive and a good size. He hasn't played a lot there but with the sub rule - three on the bench - that player who can play a bit everywhere is very useful.''
    If the LRT experiment works Horse will look like a genius. If not this thread could run all season.
    The defence rests: LRT's forward thinking is A-OK
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Warming the Bench
    Why cant Goodes spend some time rucking?

Is he really that precious?

The horse has a clear bias with the players and it shows at the selection table, how Jetta is getting a game before TDL on current form staggers me!

I haven't been impressed so far.

It all started bad when he cost us the Melbourne game with a stupid sub selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake View Post
    The horse has a clear bias with the players and it shows at the selection table, how Jetta is getting a game before TDL on current form staggers me!
    You want to straight swap a winger for a lead up medium forward?

Nope.

Malthouse is off contract at the end of the year.

Hire him. We need him.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post

Nope.

Malthouse is off contract at the end of the year.

Hire him. We need him.
    Our list + Mick Malthouse = WOW (but they will never do it)

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast