Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Worst win we've had for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    I stand by my belief that they will merge with the GC within 5 years.
    And I stand with you in that belief, save for the 5 years. The media deal assures 9 games a round, so for North to merge/fold within 5 years would require another team to be invited into the league. But no suprises if it happens in time for the next deal.

Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    would gold coast want to merge with that rabble?
    It worked for Brisbane when they merged their up-and-coming list with the few Fitzroy players that were still there that could (or would) cut it. Plus the F/S bonuses.
    10100111001 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Horse has a lot to answer for. We recruit a forward (Johnson) as an early draft pick. We play him in defense in the reserves for a few years. Then when he gets a game he's played forward.

Perfect way to confuse a young player. Ordinary coaching. Blind freddy could tell you the positions open in the seniors this year are forward. Why wasnt Johnson played up forward in the 2's for all of 2011?
    they all have to earn their strip. Its not a given. And the kid was really only playing his first year of the game at a higher level, and the best way to learn about how to be a defensive forward is to learn how to play down back. He could already take a safe mark. He could already kick a straight ball. He had a lot to learn about everything else. And he played hot and cold all last year which generally means an above the shoulders issue. You have ressie players who are itching to play anywhere anytime, learn and learn, like Sam Reid and Hanners, and then you have some others. I have no issue with the way his talent/game has been handled. Mature bodies does not automatically mean a mature attitude.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

On the Rookie List
    Doubt that a merger could happen....The Suns have received all their draft concessions and will develop into a very competitive unit without North players. I think a merger might test the loyalty of current Suns members who are accepting them with current colours and logo. North turned their backs on the GC a while back perhaps they will head to Hobart where they're hoping to play a couple of games a year in a deal currently being explored.
    Run2Live,Live2Run

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    they all have to earn their strip. Its not a given. And the kid was really only playing his first year of the game at a higher level, and the best way to learn about how to be a defensive forward is to learn how to play down back. He could already take a safe mark. He could already kick a straight ball. He had a lot to learn about everything else. And he played hot and cold all last year which generally means an above the shoulders issue. You have ressie players who are itching to play anywhere anytime, learn and learn, like Sam Reid and Hanners, and then you have some others. I have no issue with the way his talent/game has been handled. Mature bodies does not automatically mean a mature attitude.
    I also think hes got a long way to go to become a regular. He gets outbodied really easily at the moment and is not quite quick enough to create enough space on a lead between him and the defender.

Playing him in defence may well be one of the ways to teach him how to outbody bigger players who may be slower at the NEAFL level than at AFL.

he reminds me a little of jason heatley circa 1997 - if you can get the ball in his hands he'll kick you a goal but you need to get it into his hands

He'll need to work on his pace as well. It will all improve as his body gets stronger and more mature though. Facts are he turned 20 2 months ago. We have to remind ourselves sometimes, well I do anyway!

Sure, we were rubbish, but North were a complete flop, the umpires were fabulously unpredictable and North fans are spewing. Lots of positives.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

On the Rookie List
    To me the win showed we are one of the best teams around at defending a lead.Heroic defense again down to the wire.Well done backline and followers

It also showed we lack any potency in attack. We can't kick a decent lead. Our lack of forward structure was partly addressed with LJ at FF as raw as he is. Persist with this and with Reid at CHF and by this time next year we will have a potent forward line. Add TDL to the pocket and we are in business.If we don't settle the forward structure down expect to get slaughtered by any top 4 team and some othere too.Thank God for Mc Glynne!

It showed we have some good players who give their best regardless of the score.It showed LRT is not a ruckman or forward. It showed Goodes is having problems above the shoulders with his play.It showed North are rubbish.

It showed that if you choose the right sub,it can win you the game

There have been a lot of "very bad wins" this year. To be honest, I think this is a good thing. A number of times, we've found a way to win when it didn't seem possible. This can't be understated. 2005 followed a similar pattern, getting back into games when we really shouldn't have. We lost that ability in 07-09, and in fact it turned into the opposite: we couldn't win a close game no matter how we hard we tried. In 2010 we won a couple. But in 2011, suddenly, we've found a way to save games, to not get run down, to protect our lead, or stage a come back, and at least scrape a draw.

To me, this is the sign of a good team. Not necessarily a good team right at this second, but a team that will be good sooner rather than later.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    And I stand with you in that belief, save for the 5 years. The media deal assures 9 games a round, so for North to merge/fold within 5 years would require another team to be invited into the league. But no suprises if it happens in time for the next deal.
    That could be Tassie, or the other option is North relocates to there. Either way, I can't see them survivng as North melbourne..
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    There have been a lot of "very bad wins" this year. To be honest, I think this is a good thing. A number of times, we've found a way to win when it didn't seem possible. This can't be understated. 2005 followed a similar pattern, getting back into games when we really shouldn't have. We lost that ability in 07-09, and in fact it turned into the opposite: we couldn't win a close game no matter how we hard we tried. In 2010 we won a couple. But in 2011, suddenly, we've found a way to save games, to not get run down, to protect our lead, or stage a come back, and at least scrape a draw.

To me, this is the sign of a good team. Not necessarily a good team right at this second, but a team that will be good sooner rather than later.
    So true. Amazing how many 'lucky' close shaves top sides get away with.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Not a good sign for Seaby when LRT was preferred during those last frantic few minutes.

I've never been a big wrap for Craig Bird and I rarely see much positive comment about him, but I think his last few games as a tagger have been excellent. His lack of pace is still a worry but he reads the play like a book.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    The only thing is, while it's encouraging that we've found a way to fight back in the close ones, we have had a bit of luck from the umpires in the games we have won, which we didn't get before. Though maybe the good sign is that we were close enough on the scoreboard to be able to take advantage of those sorts of things. I don't know. Either way while I think we have the makings of a good team I am still far from convinced about us.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast