Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sydney Swans - The big picture

High draft picks are a consolation; they are not a reward for poor performance!

I for one would be very disappointed if we didn't go out every week doing everything we can to win.

As for "needing" to bottom out, I don't believe there is evidence that proves you need to.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    OK, so who is going to be our next Brownlow medallist?

Do we even have another potential winner on our list? Maybe Josh Kennedy? Or Kieran Jack? I think Jack might be in with a show if he stays injury free.

Goodes was an absolute gem to uncover, and that was obvious from his first game. He's certainly become our best known player in Sydney by a country mile.
    Don't care for Brownlow medals - nice to have. Premierships are what counts. Ask Skilts, Peter Bedford or Robert Harvey they would trade their Brownlows for a Premiership anytime
    sprite

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by desredandwhite View Post
    High draft picks are a consolation; they are not a reward for poor performance!

I for one would be very disappointed if we didn't go out every week doing everything we can to win.

As for "needing" to bottom out, I don't believe there is evidence that proves you need to.
    And in the fickle Sydney Market it is not something that would win too many fans, but rather lose them.

But it has helped Carlton and Collingwood get to where they are.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    And in the fickle Sydney Market it is not something that would win too many fans, but rather lose them.

But it has helped Carlton and Collingwood get to where they are.
    "Fickle Sydney" is a common theme but I doubt if we could play badly enough to drop to the level of support for the Kangaroos, say. And Melbourne isn't Sydney but its members have a reputation for running hot and cold (snowy cold, even). It's really only fanatical WA and SA that seem immune to drop off when the team is crap - and Port can't even get fans when they are playing finals. The Pies have record membership - that suggests it had less members in the lean times. The combination of lack of success and an awful game plan could hit St Kilda hard, I expect. Maybe harder than the Swans who haven't had much finals success for more than half a decade but still get a good crowd to the SCG and a pretty good crowd in Melbourne.

I bet we'll be hearing about "fickle Brisbane" pretty soon on Saturday's showing.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Ummm, didn't we win the '05 flag without tanking/bottoming out/whatever you want to call it?

The only 'high' draft picks we really had in that side were from the '98 draft that netted us Fosdike and J Bolton.

The rest were a combo of recruits (Hall/Jolly/Williams/Davis/C Bolton/Ball etc), lower draft picks that turned into gems (Micky O/ROK/Goodes), rookie list surprises (Kirk) and other odds and sods.

A bit like our current strategy really.
    Last edited by i'm-uninformed2; 6th June 2011 at 02:06 PM.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by desredandwhite View Post
    Or that it necessarily works.

On the Rookie List
    The clubs at serious risk of bottoming are, like Port and North, afflicted with off-field dramas. Sydney has an efficient front office and reasonable list management, we're not doing too badly.

Longmire has been tinkering with the forward line this season with an eye on the long term. It seems to be coming together, but it'll be games against the top eight that'll really show whether we're progressing or not. We've copped a few crucial injuries this season, too. Jack's ankle may have cost us a win against Carlton.

The loss to Hawthorn was the only truly bad performance. With a lot of first and second year players in the team, there's reason for optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    Don't care for Brownlow medals - nice to have. Premierships are what counts. Ask Skilts, Peter Bedford or Robert Harvey they would trade their Brownlows for a Premiership anytime
    Of course, you're right. What I meant to say was "who's going to be our next Goodes?"

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    "who's going to be our next Goodes?"
    Ed Barlow will be our next Goodes. Um, oh, hang on, um maybe not.......

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Ed Barlow will be our next Goodes. Um, oh, hang on, um maybe not.......
    Since he's playing for the Doggies this week, he might have trouble bringing a brownlow to Sydney hehe. Finding another Goodes will take some doing, there ust aren't that many players with all his attributes, like findsing another Judd
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

As said, no point rebuilding while GWS and GC are taking all picks.

But we should be looking for a major rebuild in the middle of this decade 2015 to 2016. Bottom out if we have to. GWS will be flying by then, and they can keep the AFL flag burning in Sydney.

Senior Player
    I think I'd prefer we just keep recruiting smarter than other clubs and stay competitive. Flags are just as likely to come.

The logic of bottoming out is spurious at best - a couple of good draft picks does not a make a premiership team, there's other ways to build a great list, especially with the pressure the salary cap puts on sides with lots of talent.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast