Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 12 V Richmond

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I call bull@@@@ on that.

I don't have the stats and I'll let somebody with more time on their hands to get them if they please, but from my observation over many years is, when sides put on a clinic and lead by 10 goals or more at halftime, they frequently either lose or barely win the second half. Seen it many many times before with good sides and bad.

It's just the nature of the beast that the intensity drops away a little after the break. The big blowouts nearly always come when sides take control in the 3rd quarter and blow them away with 10+ goal last quarters where sides being obliterated don't have the luxury of rejigging and regrouping at halftime...
    Exactly. Essendon had a 95-point lead against the gold coast after one quarter and then lost the second quarter. It happens.

Also, Pyke anyone? A week ago he was listed on the Swans website as one week away, so if my calculations are correct...

In: Mumford, Pyke

Out: Seaby, Everitt.

BRISWAN, how old are you? My father is in his mid 70's. Therefore, I forgive him for being the bitter and grumpy old fart that he is.

He was carrying on about how poorly we played on Saturday night and that we should have beaten them by more. So, I asked him whether a 30 goal win would've been sufficient. He told me it would depend on how many errors we made. Suffice to say I got a bit angry at the old bugger.

Now BRISWAN, you should focus on the many positives that came out of the game otherwise you will end up a bitter and twisted old man, like my father.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Longmire hopeful of stars' return

Longmire revealed Jack may have to spend a week in the reserves before rejoining the side.
    That would certainly be an incentive to turn up early on Sunday.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Longmire hopeful of stars' return

That would certainly be an incentive to turn up early on Sunday.
    Another interesting snip from the same story:
    And while it's yet to happen this season, Longmire said he had no qualms about playing tall timber Mumford, Mark Seaby and Lewis Roberts-Thomson in the same side.
    I'm pleased to read it.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

maybe Jack as the Sub - get some fitness, and slot back into the team before Carlton game

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    If Jack needs some match fitness, wouldn't it make more sense for him to run around 4 quarters in the reserves rather than a quarter in the seniors. I know the intensity is much lower in the magoos, but surely not by that much!

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    If Jack needs some match fitness, wouldn't it make more sense for him to run around 4 quarters in the reserves rather than a quarter in the seniors. I know the intensity is much lower in the magoos, but surely not by that much!
    Burst high intensity play could also pressure an injury as well. He is too important to risk.

As above.
    As much as I love having Jack out there it is not worth risking aggravating any residual injury.n Play him in the Ressies and get a good crowd to their game

Quote Originally Posted by BRISWAN View Post
    Happy with the first half but we failed to go for the jugular.
    Good sides do this and play out the four qtrs.
    No doubting our clearances and clangers in the second half -
    Which would have opened the door to better teams.
    Still much to work on but best signs in awhile that the fwd entries
    are improving. (mostly due to improved delivery from the mids).
    Tadgh's kicking in still worries me and Mal needs a new set of boots.
    Much to look forward to.
    Please include kizza as a sub next week rather than run him in the twos!
    I think the coaching staff decided to shut it down after half time. Negative footy, I hate it. Every time we go negative the skills go to pot. When we are attacking our skills are goood. The coaches will get the idea that we play better when playing attacvking footy & our defensive work is even better because we are pushing up the ground crouding them beyond their half forward line toward the centre & we have the back markers.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I think the coaching staff decided to shut it down after half time. Negative footy, I hate it. Every time we go negative the skills go to pot. When we are attacking our skills are goood. The coaches will get the idea that we play better when playing attacvking footy & our defensive work is even better because we are pushing up the ground crouding them beyond their half forward line toward the centre & we have the back markers.
    We also had an opponent desperately trying to stop the rot.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    We also had an opponent desperately trying to stop the rot.
    Not to mention lots of players who had expended plenty of energy dominating the first half.

I confess I was a little frustrated during the game that the Swans were playing measure, contained - not defensive - footy in the second half and I was hoping they would go on the rampage for 10 minutes or so and kick a few more goals. But I can understand why that didn't happen, and winning consistently is more important than shoving ascendency down the throats of a pretty ordinary opponent.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I call bull@@@@ on that.

I don't have the stats and I'll let somebody with more time on their hands to get them if they please, but from my observation over many years is, when sides put on a clinic and lead by 10 goals or more at halftime, they frequently either lose or barely win the second half. Seen it many many times before with good sides and bad.

It's just the nature of the beast that the intensity drops away a little after the break. The big blowouts nearly always come when sides take control in the 3rd quarter and blow them away with 10+ goal last quarters where sides being obliterated don't have the luxury of rejigging and regrouping at halftime...
    I remember last year some stats were trotted out that said in todays game sides with around a 7 goal or more lead at half time rarely get beaten.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast