Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do I hate the Blues?

Evans does count cause he was leaving regardless, we were just lucky enough to get him.

Before you get all high and mighty about pinching players, just look at your practices now. Thanks to the AFL giving you guys an extra 600K per season you have the ability to poach players from other clubs with Mumford being the prime example. Because you guys had the spare money you were able to offer overs for a rookie listed player that no other team could match.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Can't say I hate Carlton, but I wish the AFL had the same policy on rorted premierships as the NRL - cancelled.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRay View Post
    Before you get all high and mighty about pinching players, just look at your practices now. Thanks to the AFL giving you guys an extra 600K per season you have the ability to poach players from other clubs with Mumford being the prime example. Because you guys had the spare money you were able to offer overs for a rookie listed player that no other team could match.
    Cue Cyndi Lauper...

"You with the sad eyes, don't be discouraged...."
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Evans does count cause he was leaving regardless, we were just lucky enough to get him.

Don't want to buy into the arguement cause I like Carlton (except for the eye gouger) BUT......
    Whist I understand your point about the extra 600K, I don't think that had a huge bearing on snagging Mummy. You were correct in saying that Geelong couldn't match our offer but I think it had more to do with our cap space from the big saleried players we'd lost the year before rather then the extra $ we're allowed.

You guys tanked 2 years running for draft picks. Pastor Doug Nichols went to training at Carlton & was told to go away because the Blue Baggers don't want blacks! Carlton were the Silvertails & Fitzroy the blue collar team. doug Nichols ended up playing for Fitzroy & is in the AFL Hall of Fame. We get concessions because we are developing a market, all Carlton wanted to do was come up here & take the dollars for no long term reward to the AFL/VFL. I didn't follow Sydney when they were on the ropes & struggling to put a side on the park out at the Lakeside oval but I felt for them. I also knew a few of their players & they were good blokes but with no hope because as soon as anyone good came along the super sides (money), Carlton, Richmond, Essendon, North Melbourne etc used to poach them. The Swans were broke because they had no real zone as the inner city in those days was full of soccer playing fools. Some sides had to suffer & Fitzroy & the Swans were the two who went broke.

Why do I hate Carlton I just DO!

Geelong signed Blake and only offered Mummy a contract when they realised they re-signed a spud. So it was Geelong making the wrong call that saw Mumford move to us.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Oh! I forgot to mention I used to follow the Hawks & we used to share Princes Park with you lot & that deal was the worst ever made. Carlton got everything the Hawks SFA & the best thing to happen was AFL/VFL Park, Waverly. By the way the VFL forced the Hawks to re with Carlton, they had no choice & Carlton ripped 'em off big time.

I dont hate carlton , as I ve said on another thread , the carlton hatred generally comes from those living in melbourne. Seems they are a bit like manly are in the NRL, the silvertails in a country that likes the battler. BUT I seriously hate melbourne AFL fans and clubs who whinge about the extra money Sydney gets for player recruitment. Fact is that Sydney is more expensive to live in , most of it players do come from AFL dominant states so there has to be a carrot dangled for them to move and stay and even recent history shows that even this doesnt help in some instances (re jolly, rocca, grant , okeefe if he could have gotten a trade and probably a few others i cant think of or who we dont know off in general circles). 600k across a list of 35-40 players is hardly big money.

Don't really hate Carlton, but I should. I mean really should.

Where do I start.
    • Pinching Peter Bedford, Bernie Evans, DRJ, Greg Williams off us.
    • Giving us Minton-Connell.
    • The 45 grand final
    • The poaching of our 1977 coach Ian Stewart. (Although this turned out to being a blessing)
    • The proposal to vote us out of existence. This did provided 2 reasons for me to hate Carlton, the act itself and the fact that Collingwood were the ones who voted against the Carlton proposal, meant that I couldn't hate Collingwood as much. You bastards Carlton!!!
    • John Elliot.
    • Richard Pratt.
    • When the salary cap was introduced Carlton had players such as Kernahan, Bradley, Motley who's salary was excluded from the cap
    • The starting of the "tradition" to sell out our traditional sporting arenas names. Princess Park became Optus Oval.
    • and last but not least SALARY CAP CHEATS.

Yep I should hate Carlton, and you know what I hope we smash the cockiness out of you bunch of social misfits.

I followed Carlton from age nil until I was 31 years old - it was a family thing - my Dads a Victorian and his side were all Blues people (even though we lived in Sydney) we loved the success they enjoyed - and during those times they did win a few flags. I was proudly given a Carlton jumper, beany, mug and leg warmers for my 21st!!! it is well documented that I had a massive crush on Mark McClure when I were a gal, with honourable mentions to Stephen Kernahan, Peter Motely & Craig Bradley (yes I know how embarassment!!!) But after the Blues thrashed Geelong 1995 my thoughts moved towards things red and white - I moved back to Sydney and in '96 started going to Swans games and I remember the day I walked into Mum & Dads wearing a Swans scarf - Dad just looked at me and said "oh well I guess it was going to happen eventually" - and the rest is history. Whilst I always had the family connection with the Blues - It hasnt come remotely close to the connection and involvement I have had with the Swans - so for that alone (and Mark McClure aside) I have made a terrific bunch of new friends with this club, I have experienced some fantastic occassions and functions and for that I am extremely grateful. My soft spot for the Blues has been on leave for a few years now and wont return until Chris "my @@@@ doesnt stink" Judd leaves the club. I'm not fond of him! Of course I hope we tear the Blues a new one on Sunday!
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    What a great memoir to read 'Old Boiler', thanks for sharing the love....

HP
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    All the Carlton love on AFL360 tonight has made me hate Carlton! Please can we smash them?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast