Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: McVeigh

Jarrad's a nice guy, but he's not captain material. A lot of people aren't; the burden of leadership is too much for most of us to bear.

Take the captaincy burden off his shoulders, and give it to Goodes. And then tell Goodes to forget about it, and just play his natural game.

Has captaincy been removed from a player mid season before?

Veteran Site Admin
    My beef with Mcveigh is that he doesn't appear to be putting in any of that hard running that characterised his 2008 break out season. His endurance and supposed ability to find space are his best attributes but he's not making the most of them at the moment. Even against the lesser teams, I don't think we've seen much of it this year. I don't think he should be dropped but I'd love him to go back and listen to his own speech at the pre season dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    My beef with Mcveigh is that he doesn't appear to be putting in any of that hard running that characterised his 2008 break out season. His endurance and supposed ability to find space are his best attributes but he's not making the most of them at the moment. Even against the lesser teams, I don't think we've seen much of it this year. I don't think he should be dropped but I'd love him to go back and listen to his own speech at the pre season dinner.
    Exactly right.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Yes. The speech was very inspiring. Especially if you were there in person and could feel the emotion in the room.

Pity he can't walk the talk.

Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    Yes. The speech was very inspiring. Especially if you were there in person and could feel the emotion in the room.

Pity he can't walk the talk.
    The speech writer obviously deserves the kudos.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

I would think that McVeigh would be tickled pink reading this crap. It's pretty much become a rite of passage over the past 8 years that every Swans champion is officially recognised by two processes: receive the Bob Skilton medal and be publicly villified by the experts on RWO. I particularly remember the vitriol dished out to Goodes and O'Loughlin.
    Looking down the list of B&F, I'd say that only Paul Williams and Kieran Jack have missed out on the double . . . and there's still plenty of time for Jack. Congratulations, skipper McVeigh, it looks like you've definitely made it!

Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    Been @@@@ since he was made captain. Good player. Can't lead by example. Time to hand in the captaincy.
    Totally agree RP! A Captain is consistent, can occasionally do the sublime and leads by example. McVeigh does none of these!
    Swannies for life!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    I would think that McVeigh would be tickled pink reading this crap. It's pretty much become a rite of passage over the past 8 years that every Swans champion is officially recognised by two processes: receive the Bob Skilton medal and be publicly villified by the experts on RWO. I particularly remember the vitriol dished out to Goodes and O'Loughlin.
    Looking down the list of B&F, I'd say that only Paul Williams and Kieran Jack have missed out on the double . . . and there's still plenty of time for Jack. Congratulations, skipper McVeigh, it looks like you've definitely made it!
    You've got to admit. He's been pretty ordinary this year, and last.
    At the top of his game he is a great player. I was always sticking up for him in the early days when others were not.
    But as a captain, he seems to hgave gone from bad to worse.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    The blokes problem is his disposal. He doesn't seem to be a thinking player or his skills are just poor. He kicks across the ground and doesn't try for any penetration in his kicking. He toe pokes the footy most of the time. He seems to get his hands on the ball enough.
    Probably has the best disposal skills at the club. If you're bagging him for the quality of his disposals, there are 41 others you have to start with.

Gave him some praise a few weeks ago as he was really doing the one percenters, plenty of smothers, tackles, pressure etc. Since then he's been down right ordinary and sounds like he didn't stand up on Sunday either. As a leader he needs to show more, but more what? For Jarrad, I think his value is more about being that quality distributor inside 50, especially in the days of the press - work hard to get space, get the ball and find a target (preferably dead in front coz otherwise we'll miss) - and if you could chip in with a few midfield goals (which he;s done well throughout his career) that would be damn useful too.

Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    I would rather read an honest post criticising poor performance, than the crap you just served up.

Why should one's previous performance and accolades, make them immune to criticism. McVeigh is not putting in at the moment and member's of RWO have every right to honestly appraise him in such a way.

I suppose you're a fan of Paul Bevan's as well

Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    I would rather read an honest post criticising poor performance, than the crap you just served up.

Why should one's previous performance and accolades, make them immune to criticism. McVeigh is not putting in at the moment and member's of RWO have every right to honestly appraise him in such a way.

I suppose you're a fan of Paul Bevan's as well
    Agreed.

It's called debate. As long as it doesn't get personal I have no drama with criticizing anyone from the club. There's a certain dual Brownlow medalist that occasionally annoys the crap out of me and since this isn't China I'm free to say that.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast