Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: McVeigh

Veterans List
    I remember the 2005 attacks here on Stuey Maxfield when he was captain and was down on form. That went quiet when he voluntarily retired, even when Roos said he'd put him in the team the minute he put his hand up to play. And Kirk was regularly torn to shreds as a hack who should have retired years before he did.

Strangely, the one that seems immune is Kelly. Even though the other captains gave us a lot more (a code of honour that works and a Premiership) and didn't/haven't take a job across town with the Swans opposition when the money was too good to refuse.

McVeighs one standout year was 2008 where he spent a lot of time in the forward line. Kicked 32.14 at 70% for the year. Since then he has spent far more time in the midfield and has struggled to make the same contribution. Maybe its time for him to play more as a small/medium forward and let one of the younger, quicker, more aggressive players fill his role in the midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    McVeighs one standout year was 2008 where he spent a lot of time in the forward line. Kicked 32.14 at 70% for the year. Since then he has spent far more time in the midfield and has struggled to make the same contribution. Maybe its time for him to play more as a small/medium forward and let one of the younger, quicker, more aggressive players fill his role in the midfield.
    Exactly. His best season was as a forward who was an impact player in the midfield. We have plenty of midfielders, but we seriously lack finishing skills up forward. McVeigh knows where the sticks are, he can take a great mark for someone his size, and he can be rotated through the midfield. There's no shame in playing forward over midfield.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I would have to go back and watch some old tapes, but my recollection is that McVeigh primarily played in the midfield in 2008, and his goals kicked were genuinely from the midfield. He was lauded at the time as being the most prolific goal kicking midfielder of the season. He kicked 6 goals one day matched up against Cooney. There is no way Cooney was playing in defence on McVeigh.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I would have to go back and watch some old tapes, but my recollection is that McVeigh primarily played in the midfield in 2008, and his goals kicked were genuinely from the midfield. He was lauded at the time as being the most prolific goal kicking midfielder of the season. He kicked 6 goals one day matched up against Cooney. There is no way Cooney was playing in defence on McVeigh.
    He moved around, but he definitely set-up in the forwardline a fair bit. He spent lots of time in the midfield, and yeah, oddly enough he kicked that 6 purely from the midfield, but most of the time he was rotating between midfield and forward, at least from memory. Fairly sure he was being named on a HFF on the team lists as well, not that that really means much.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    He moved around, but he definitely set-up in the forwardline a fair bit. He spent lots of time in the midfield, and yeah, oddly enough he kicked that 6 purely from the midfield, but most of the time he was rotating between midfield and forward, at least from memory. Fairly sure he was being named on a HFF on the team lists as well, not that that really means much.
    I agree with BSA5, his form certainly doesn't warrant a midfield spot.
    He should play out of a forward pocket and use his skills around goal.
    The only other alternative, for mine, is to use him as the sub for a week or 2.
    He should be able to have an impact, as a sub, given his experience and skill set.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Blog Entries
    Relinquish the captaincy, and get back to playing good footy!!

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    He should be able to have an impact, as a sub, given his experience and skill set.
    It's not a bad suggestion. McVeigh can try his luck as a forward, let Goodes go back to the midfield. Whatever, we must have some of recognisable forward structure this week.

How about a line up that looks like this?

B: Nicholas Smith, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Alex Johnson
    HB: Nick Malceski, Heath Grundy, Martin Mattner
    C: Rhyce Shaw, Jude Bolton, Adam Goodes
    HF: Ben McGlynn, Sam Reid, Josh P. Kennedy
    F: Jesse White, Jarrad McVeigh, Trent Dennis-Lane
    Foll: Mark Seaby, Kieran Jack, Daniel Hannebery
    I/C: Paul Bevan, Tadgh Kennelly, Craig Bird, Luke Parker

Out: Mumford, Richards
    In: White, Trent Dennis-Lane

I really think it's best for Jetta to go back into the reserves for a while.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    It's not a bad suggestion. McVeigh can try his luck as a forward, let Goodes go back to the midfield. Whatever, we must have some of recognisable forward structure this week.

How about a line up that looks like this?

B: Nicholas Smith, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Alex Johnson
    HB: Nick Malceski, Heath Grundy, Martin Mattner
    C: Rhyce Shaw, Jude Bolton, Adam Goodes
    HF: Ben McGlynn, Sam Reid, Josh P. Kennedy
    F: Jesse White, Jarrad McVeigh, Trent Dennis-Lane
    Foll: Mark Seaby, Kieran Jack, Daniel Hannebery
    I/C: Paul Bevan, Tadhg Kennelly, Craig Bird, Luke Parker

Out: Mumford, Richards
    In: White, Trent Dennis-Lane

I really think it's best for Jetta to go back into the reserves for a while.
    That's not a bad line-up, but I'd like to see Jetta and Currie in for Bevo and Tadhg; a matter of reaching for the future instead of sticking to the past.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    That's not a bad line-up, but I'd like to see Jetta and Currie in for Bevo and Tadhg; a matter of reaching for the future instead of sticking to the past.
    I agreee with Cheer Squad that Jetta needs time in the ressies, not as a punishment but he does need to work on his skills.
    Bring Currie in but leave Bevo. Hand Jetta to Henry for a few weeks to see what he can coax out of him

Don't mind that at all Cheer Squad.......anyone got Horse's email address??

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Yes. Give him the opportunity to show his leadership skills by organising the forward line and contributing on the scoreboard. That would win some much overdue respect.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast